The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » A First...I've Been Stiffed! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I'm finding it hard to believe, but after all these years of presenting for church groups, it seems I've been stiffed out of my performance fee. And it's from a church that I've performed for FOUR times. So, how do you handle this?

I use a standard "agreement of performance" that outlines the fee and standard issues. I ask for a 50% deposit in most cases, but as I have an established relationship with this particular pastor I have left that out after the first appearance. I've always had great rapport with this individual. A couple of times, including this past time, he has requested to mail me a check, even though I stipulate payment at the conclusion of the performance. This time, however, the check hasn't come. It's been over a month, and I've sent two follow ups. No reply.

My intent when sending the final "reminder", which I sent to "administrative assistant" (thinking the pastor might be overly busy)was to make this a last attempt, and write it off to experience. But it bugs me. Is there anything you would do?
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Since you state that you have "an established relationship" with the pastor, I'd make a phone call to him. Simple as that to me.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
I agree with Terry. I would just give the Pastor a call and ask if had it got lost in the mail of was there another type of problem.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On May 27, 2014, stempleton wrote:
I'm finding it hard to believe, but after all these years of presenting for church groups, it seems I've been stiffed out of my performance fee. And it's from a church that I've performed for FOUR times. So, how do you handle this?

I use a standard "agreement of performance" that outlines the fee and standard issues. I ask for a 50% deposit in most cases, but as I have an established relationship with this particular pastor I have left that out after the first appearance. I've always had great rapport with this individual. A couple of times, including this past time, he has requested to mail me a check, even though I stipulate payment at the conclusion of the performance. This time, however, the check hasn't come. It's been over a month, and I've sent two follow ups. No reply.

My intent when sending the final "reminder", which I sent to "administrative assistant" (thinking the pastor might be overly busy)was to make this a last attempt, and write it off to experience. But it bugs me. Is there anything you would do?

I think calling the pastor is a great idea. Just a quick story to ease your mind: when I came here to The Netherlands, I needed my certification of Holy Chrismation from my home church in the US. I had written to my priest but I had heard nothing for a month. I was beginning to worry because I needed that to be able to take Holy Communion here - Russian Orthodox priests are especially strict. Anyhow, I sent Fr. John another letter and he was so busy with parish matters it had slipped his mind. The certificate came priority air mail later that week.

I am certain all will be well. Smile
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Agreed. I would use the exact wording of Markofmagic. Hope it works out for you......
Bryan Drake Show
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
125 Posts

Profile of Bryan Drake Show
Yeah this is always on e of the most frustrating issues out there. You would like to think that it's not just you, but that this must happen to a lot of people they deal with...until you realize the ramifications of that when it comes to missions budgets and all things such as that.

If you have an agreement with the church, there is nothing wrong with following up twice a week even until it is taken care of.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Don't feel guilty about it and follow up till it's solved.

Organization it's something that most of people struggle and we all forget things so it's up to you to remind them Smile
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Some churches are just slow about getting some things done. Don't assume you are stiffed yet. Follow the above advice, make a phone call and it will probably get resolved fairly quickly.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
So a week later and what is the status?
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2014, Terry Holley wrote:
So a week later and what is the status?

Two weeks later and....?
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Hi, Terry,

I appreciate your follow up, and everyone's comments.

Yes, the best avenue of action is usually the most obvious, but after having left a message I did not receive a reply. So, after prayerful consideration, I'm letting it go. I know this is against conventional wisdom, but my "business model" is probably different from many... I present for church/religious groups and organizations exclusively, and all performance fees go into sustaining this ministry. I've been in sales professionally, and I've been on the collecting end of things... this is far removed from that.

I will chock this up to my first claimant to my "100% satisfaction guarantee" provision. But I'll be more of a stickler on my deposit requirements from now on Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » A First...I've Been Stiffed! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL