The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Hi guys, I know there are some threads about TTs, but I can't find what I'm going to ask now. I have the 101 Tricks booklet, and I know I need to learn to handle the TT very good before I use it. The problem is, I have a couple sizes TTs and I can't seem to put much stuff in there, for example, a bill! How do you guys stuff a bill in there and still have space for your thumb? A napkin for example, I can't fit that either, not to mention a hankie... Maybe it's too small or something? But I read about how big should it be and it seems to be the right size, even the store guy helped me pick them... Thanks!
jimisolo
View Profile
Regular user
League City, TX
110 Posts

Profile of jimisolo
How far down on your thumb are you wearing it? There are things that will not fit in the end of one, and a LOT more that are hard to get out even if they do fit. It is important to experiment with many different items. Try folding the bill a different way before putting it in the TT, or try lying it flat against the side of the TT instead of pushing down toward the tip.

Just a couple of tips (so to speak Smile ). Good luck and let me know if you still end up having problems.

My 2,

Rob
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
My TT fits just above the knuckle, as recommended in most sources I've read (like web pages and the booklets) I have less than 1/2 inch of free space when the TT is on. And about the thigs difficult to get out, I found out the hard way! (1" sponge ball stuck like crazy)
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
In a regular size Vernet thumbtip I can fit one - 6 inch fine silk comfortably. With the larger tip, I can fit a 10 or 12 inch fine silk comfortably. In the larger tip, one rainbow silk streamer also works with lots of room to spare. Two rainbow streamers will work also but greater care is required to make sure that the tip does not pop off the thumb once loaded. I like to use the rainbow streamer rather than a regular silk because it "seems" bigger than it really is. These can be purchased at most magic suppliers.
Hope this is of some help.
Nicholas
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Sure, thanks! I'll try the rainbow streamers one of this days. Meanwhile, I guess I have to get used to my TT and see what I can and cannot fit in there.
paulnathan
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
21 Posts

Profile of paulnathan
Jmsihly,

I have used a thumbtip for virtually every show I have ever done... in twenty years that adds up to a lot of shows. So here is what I recommend... Go get yourself one of the diamond shaped silks. They look gigantic compaired to anything else that will fit into a tip. When you put something in make certain to leave a little tail trailing up the inside of the tip so you can get it out. Ideally the action of removing the tip will smoothly allow you to remove the tail of the item hidden within. I always use a Vernet tip. I don't like the rubbery ones. I find them much more difficult to use. I would recommend a king sized vernet tip. If that is still too small than I would reccomend amputating part of your thumb, because it is just too big.

You can also drop your tip into hot water and reshape it (a little bit not a lot) to fit your finger.

Finally... Once you get a tip that fits than get another tip and paint it bright orange and practice with that. Practice until you can no longer see the bright orange tip... The thumb tip was never intended to be seen. It is a utility item that is designed to remain hidden. So keep it hidden and practice it a lot. Because when you can use it well it is a very powerull tool.

P
Love thy neighbor.

Oops. Sorry. That should have been...
Make love to thy neighbor.
http://www.badmagician.com
http://www.firemagic.com
http://www.devilinthedeck.com
http://www.ihatechildren.com
http://www.darkkabaret.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Hocus Pocus said that 18 inch silks fit in a thumb tip on their website. They must all have small thumbs, because 18 inch doesn't even get close to fitting in mine.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Not everything you try to stuff into a TT has to fit all the way inside.

A folded bill is a good example.

You can leave the end sticking out, and slip your thumb alongside it just deep enough into the tip to wedge it in place. Who cares if part of it sticks out? It's easily covered by controlling your angles, sort of like the "bright red TT" story you've undoubtedly heard.

Then, when you're ready to pull the bill back out again for the restoring phase, it's very easy as you already have a grip on the end of the bill.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
SeanLL
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of SeanLL
Hello everyone, I've been practicing with a generic TT for about a month now mainly with a 6" silk. So far I have been busted once by a friend (luckily he is pretty cool so he didn't blab and swore he wouldn't tell anyone) who was standing at my side, when I asked him later what he saw he said my thumb just didn't look right and that's what tipped him off. Other than that one time people just go nuts when I do the disappearing silk, they just love it. Anyway I was looking at another thread on TT's and read about the HotTrix TT so I checked it out WOW it looks great. My question is has anyone tried this TT and if so what did you think of it? Also would you recommend the super soft or standard? Hope this isn't to far off topic. Thanks, Sean
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
I have both the soft and the hard Hottrix TT, as well as many others. Some are plastic, some are metal. Some fit snugly, some loosely. The tip I use depends upon the effect.

I prefer the harder tips for most things. For example, the hard TT is easier for me to use for a bill switch. The Hottrix TTs do look good, but, honestly, it a bit like casting pearls before swine. No one ever sees the TT, so it doesn't have to look as good as the HotTrix models. Fit and appropriateness for the load are more important.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT Help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL