The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » At the Table: Live Lectures goes weekly in July (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
You understand now, Ricky, that I MUST throw one in of you now... Smile
Mike.Hankins

Instagram: MHMagic77

Twitter: @HankinsMagic

FaceBook: Yup!
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2014, Mike.Hankins wrote:
TCB,

Glad to know you are happy! I think the lectures are only getting better, as we are trying to really dig deeper with the artist to provide as strong of content as we can. BUT I think we are adding more energy, more fun and definitely more magic. (The last 2 lectures were over 2 hours)...

Mike I saw you on my final lecture of the group with John Armstrong. Great Job. How does one cop a place in the audience for one of those lectures? Where do they have them?
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
If you are ever in the Sacramento area, let me know! Smile
Mike.Hankins

Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
You may have addressed some of these issues, but I'm right in the middle of the Dan Hauss lecture where some of these are pretty egregious.

1. Your cameras are misplaced. You should have two primary cameras that are almost directly head on to the performer. One that catches everything from the waist up. And another for close-ups that is angled the same way a spectator's eyes would be (so slightly downward for close up magic and more dead-on for parlor magic). For right handed performers, the close-up camera should be to the left of the primary camera, the opposite for left-handed performers. As of now it seems you have one primary camera and then another one at some weird angle, off to the right at table-top level. It's not good. It's a bad angle and level for performances and unnecessary for explanations.

2. More with the cameras. I've watched a number of these and the performers are constantly talking about the cameras. "Should I look at this camera or this camera? Which camera am I on?" They should be told to perform out front (where you should have your two cameras now). If, during an explanation, something needs to be seen from a side angle, then the performer can turn himself to the proper angle to the cameras at the front. (Instead of the performer remaining stationary and having a camera on the side get the correct angle by luck. The performer should never be concerned with the camera angle (except in unusual moments of explanation for a trick). Just have them perform outward.

3. The performer should be directly behind the table with Mike at the side. They should not be sharing it equally at 10 and 2 like this is Regis and Kelly. This staging is what causes most of your camera issues.

4. Whoever is choosing the shots needs to settle down. Especially during the performances. There is never a need for a flat, table-level shot during a performance (unless you're hoping to expose everything). There is rarely a need for an overhead shot during a performance, unless someone is doing shadow coins or something.

5. The volume on voices is very low and needs to be louder in the mix. I've adjusted the audio both on the file itself and on the device I'm playing it on and if I'm in a place with background noise it's still sometimes hard to hear.

6. Mike, turn your mic off if you're not in on the discussion. Or at least do not clap directly in front of the mic. I have all the sound turned up so I can hear the voices and then I have the sound of clapping blasting out my eardrums.

7. Again, Mike, I recognize this is the result of a lifetime of social etiquette, but do not bury your head in your chest when you cough or sneeze. You're doing it directly into the microphone. Turn your head away or turn your mic off.

I'm not saying this as someone who likes to complain, I'm saying it as someone who recently purchased the VIP membership and want to see the product get better.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I agree that the close up camera is angled way too low... it often exposes the trick as its being performed and that is never the view a spectator sees anyway, so its kind of pointless. the close up camera should really be at the appropriate height for where a spectators head would be.

I'm not as nitpicky with the other stuff- but that one does bother me.

its true that if you watch a penguin lecture, the performer rarely has to keep asking for a camera change... but they seem to ask it like 5 times per effect on these lectures, so I agree that some re-arranging should take place.

With that said, I really love the lectures and think Mike does a fantastic job as the host- just trying to improve an already great product. Might be worth asking the performer (if they have online lecture experience) for their thoughts about these types of comments as well.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2014, Joe Roberts wrote:
You may have addressed some of these issues, but I'm right in the middle of the Dan Hauss lecture where some of these are pretty egregious.

1. Your cameras are misplaced. You should have two primary cameras that are almost directly head on to the performer. One that catches everything from the waist up. And another for close-ups that is angled the same way a spectator's eyes would be (so slightly downward for close up magic and more dead-on for parlor magic). For right handed performers, the close-up camera should be to the left of the primary camera, the opposite for left-handed performers. As of now it seems you have one primary camera and then another one at some weird angle, off to the right at table-top level. It's not good. It's a bad angle and level for performances and unnecessary for explanations.

2. More with the cameras. I've watched a number of these and the performers are constantly talking about the cameras. "Should I look at this camera or this camera? Which camera am I on?" They should be told to perform out front (where you should have your two cameras now). If, during an explanation, something needs to be seen from a side angle, then the performer can turn himself to the proper angle to the cameras at the front. (Instead of the performer remaining stationary and having a camera on the side get the correct angle by luck. The performer should never be concerned with the camera angle (except in unusual moments of explanation for a trick). Just have them perform outward.

3. The performer should be directly behind the table with Mike at the side. They should not be sharing it equally at 10 and 2 like this is Regis and Kelly. This staging is what causes most of your camera issues.

4. Whoever is choosing the shots needs to settle down. Especially during the performances. There is never a need for a flat, table-level shot during a performance (unless you're hoping to expose everything). There is rarely a need for an overhead shot during a performance, unless someone is doing shadow coins or something.

5. The volume on voices is very low and needs to be louder in the mix. I've adjusted the audio both on the file itself and on the device I'm playing it on and if I'm in a place with background noise it's still sometimes hard to hear.

6. Mike, turn your mic off if you're not in on the discussion. Or at least do not clap directly in front of the mic. I have all the sound turned up so I can hear the voices and then I have the sound of clapping blasting out my eardrums.

7. Again, Mike, I recognize this is the result of a lifetime of social etiquette, but do not bury your head in your chest when you cough or sneeze. You're doing it directly into the microphone. Turn your head away or turn your mic off.

I'm not saying this as someone who likes to complain, I'm saying it as someone who recently purchased the VIP membership and want to see the product get better.

Joe,

First of all, THANK YOU for becoming a VIP Member.

Secondly, thank you for the feedback! It is definitely necessary for us to continue to improve our production.

With that said, I will make sure the studio guys see all of this message, so that they can get a better understanding of what needs to be done shot wise.

As for my coughing...I will do the absolute best I can. My cough is sporadic and is a result of something that happened while I was stationed in Iraq.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and if you have any other suggestions/ideas, please feel free to chime in! Smile
Mike.Hankins

goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Hey y'all I have a review on the Café for almost every lecture thus far. If you want to check out what I think of the lectures in video form check out my Youtube channel and be sure to subscribe.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL......nyRFkRst

Also take advantage of Murphy's new offer to see the first 20 minutes of the lecture of your choice for free!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » At the Table: Live Lectures goes weekly in July (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL