The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Google.com - a problem for magicians ? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4980 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Today, when we have the possibility to search for any kind of info on the global Internet, Google etc., this can be a problem nowadays when we perform magic. People use their Smartphones to find info about anything in real-time on the spot.

Example: If you do a trick like "Coin in the bottle", some people will just type in that in theirs smartphones: "Coin in bottle" and the secret may be revealed. Or, will it only be the sceptical/heckler that will do a search?

IS THIS A PROBLEM or should we ignore this modern phenomenon ?

Mats G. Kjellstrom
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5170 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I think we, as magicians tend to worry too much about google.We've all been in the position where after performing an effect, someone comes up and says "how'd you do that". I think with a few exceptions they really don't want to know. This feeling of "not wanting to know" also means they aren't going to log right into google to figure it out. Those that really want to know are going to use you tube, or google or whatever else they have access to.

I've always felt that we should work on each effect to a point where even if someone were to google it, they'd end up feeling that the google method couldn't possibly be the way it was done. Is that always possible? Probably not but it's something to strive for.
Where the magic begins
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
It happened to me just a couple of weeks ago. I vanished the salt shaker in a restaurant and the waitress was stunned. I was pleased that I had entertained her. Later in the evening she said, "I'll have to Google 'salt shaker trick' when I get home". I felt a wave of disappointment that she had the desire and the ready resources to know the secret and end the wonder. I guess that's my ego talking because I would have done the same thing.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
It really does get to me when I'm performing and the Spectator ONLY tries to figure it out.

They're really missing out on the best part.

(Being entertained).
TH

Occupy Your Dream
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16239 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well I love them trying to figure it out and going off and telling theit friends the tale to see they can explain it. Looking up the answer though, well, well that is just cheating. I can't see what you can do about it whether it is or not a problem anyway.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2904 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've said this before, mostly from my own experience when I was performing, but I also see it a lot nowadays.

There are always going to be those who want to know immediately. They've been around for a long time, and they will probably always be around. Nothing you can do about it. Not being a shrink, I'm going to guess it's an ego thing with them.

However, the other part is that people react to what they see, not to what you think they should react to. If a trick comes across as, "Hey, lookit what I can do," some people will see it as a challenge to their [fill in the blank here]. In the case of the OP, maybe -- maybe -- all the waitress saw was a saltshaker that vanished, so she thought, "Okay, I don't know how he did it, but I know how to find out."

Years ago, at a dinner party, I did the F***ch drop for my niece's 8-year-old. This is one smart kid, but he reacted exactly how I would have expected anyone to react: his mind immediately went to "how'd you do that?" However, if I had used the Fd as part of a larger effect, where the drop itself wasn't the point, his reaction could well have been different. He just responded to what he saw.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I agree with the above post by George (what a great name by the way) but I just can't help feeling that as magicians, we tend to worry too much about these things. There have always been people who want to know the secret, its up to us to make our presentation so entertaining that they will forget about wanting to find out and just be content with being entertained for a while. Even then there will still be those who will still want to know, just let them get on with it, it really won't make any difference.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16239 Posts

Profile of tommy
People are curious creatures and of course they want to know what makes it tick. The brain is a problem solving entity. It is what the brain lives for. It will naturally try and solve any mystery presented to it. Today it far easier to find out than before but it still requires some effort. They are there for their amusement. Because they there for their amusement they are unlikely to tax themselves with the effort to find out. If you asked them, do you want to know how it's done, there would be few who would say no I fancy.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Shy
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Shy
It does not care, they won't search it, it will not happen.
And believe me, they will only search it if they want to do it, and that may create an interest in magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Google.com - a problem for magicians ? (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL