The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Looking for Ice Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
The Irish in me is always trying to stretch a dollar, so I'm looking for ideas on where to find clear acrylic discs which are the size of Morgans, and/or Halves. I've tried a number of plastic companies online, but most do not cut anything thinner than 1/8", not to mention I don't need one hundred discs!

So far all I can come up with is flashlight parts or some sort of lighting fixture cover...thingy.... yep.

Any ideas ? Oh, if you know of a magic shop (I've tried a bunch of those as well) that sells these, please let me know.

Thanks for reading.
TKF
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of TKF
Are you looking for them to have designs/decals on them (like the coins?) - Or are you just looking for circle-coin diameter sized chips of clear acrylic, that are the same thickness as a coin (but just clear...).

If the first, you might look into 3D-printing, since I cannot think of an item like this (Look into transparent SLA resin, for some interesting results...). If the latter, get a dowel-rod of acrylic in the diameter of your need, then cut off slivers/chips to fit the thickness required, with some slight finish to make them transparent?

Just my 2cents
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Buy a sheet of acrylic, cut the discs with a hole saw and finish them with a file and emery cloth.
"But there isn't a door"
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Buy a sheet of acrylic, cut the discs with a hole saw and finish them with a file and emery cloth.
"But there isn't a door"
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Might work for you:

http://www.jewelrysupply.com/Plastic-Dis......_28.html

You'd have to ask how thick they are.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Not a bad idea Tom, I just need the appropriately sized hole saw and a plastics supply store. Problem is, I live on an island, with nothing like that within a four hours drive... Still, I do get over to the mainland now and then, so I'll have a poke around then.

Craig, I looked up a bunch of acrylic and plastic sites; most don't carry stuff smaller than two inches in diameter..but jewelery or crafts stores - good idea! I'll send them an email re: thickness.

TKF, no stickers, they are to be transparent (hence the 'ice' in ice coins). There is a great routine where the spec ends up holding four transparent coins instead of the morgans they expect..can't remember the name at the moment, but the final reveal gets a great reaction ! Then there's the old 'knock the silver right off the coin' where a transparent disk and marble-sized ball bearing are used.

I'm a little surprised these are not available from magic shops...
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Taterini: I'm looking for transparent acrylic disks, and not the DVD set which comes with 4 gimmick coins for ~$60 Canadian. I'm working on a few things that would be improved by the use of these 'ice coins'. Being a cheap SOB, I'd rather not spend any more than I have to.

Wizzard, YES!! Thanks very much for the two links. Still waiting a response to an email I sent to a jeweler's supply co. as they have the correct diameter, but they may be too thin...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Looking for Ice Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL