The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Slide projector advice needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
I was wondering if anyone here uses, or has used a slide projector in a show? I need one that I can control with a remote from the stage. I'm not sure if rear projection (so the projector is on the stage) is a possibility. Any ideas?

Jim
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Although not easy to find, a rear projection lens is possible for most common (read that Bell and Howell) projectors.

As for remote control, a wired remote is also fairly easily available. I am not sure about the unwired remotes. It would have to be radio (if the projector is behind a screen) and I dont recall seeing one. But since I wasnt looking for one, you shouldnt assume they dont exist.

I would start with a Google search and see what turns up. No doubt there are Audio Visual shops also that you can contact. Another source would be eBay.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Many models of Kodak Carousel slide projectors have built in sockets for a wired remote control. These controls have approximately six foot cords. Longer extension cords are available. On some models the remote also allows focusing and/or slide back up (reversing). A number of projectors from other manufacturers have similar capabilities. I have always used Kodak because they and their accessories are common in U.S. camera stores and audio-visual rental houses.

LongTackSham
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Rear projection reverses the projected image from side to side but not top to bottom. This reversal is easily corrected by reversing the side to side orientation of the slide. It may also be corrected by bounding the projector light beam off of a 45 degree angled mirror, however, to maintain image quality, this must be a front surface mirror.

No special lens is required. You will want the shortest focal length lens that you can obtain to minimize the distance between the projector and the screen. The shortest I know of (for the Kodak Carousel) is a 1.4 inch lens made by Buhl Mfg.

It is essential that the back (projector side) of a rear projection lens be shielded from all stray light to avoid washing out the projected image.

Please let mr know if anyone has further questions about any aspect of projection.

Long Tack Sham

LongTackSham
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Wireless remote control of a slide projector may be accomplished with any radio or infrared device that can provide momentary closure of a relay. Commercial devices are on the market or you could make your own. See the electronics thread of this forum.

LongTackSham
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Thanks everyone for the advice. I was beginning to think no one else was using slide projectors! Smile

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Slide projector advice needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL