We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Father of nine (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
I am 37 years old. Been playing with magic as a hobby on and off since high school. Within the past 2 or 3 years I have picked up used books and dvds off of ebay mainly to satisfy curiousity about tricks.. and ended up wanting to learn more.

I have 9 kids so almost all of my performing is done for them. I am not into performing for others at the moment. Just learning for my benefit... if that makes sense.

I am located in Green Lake County in Wisconsin.

Anyone know of any magic shops relatively close?
DrMidnight
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
10 Posts

Profile of DrMidnight
Welcome! I have three kids and barely had enough time to type this. Good luck!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Czimmerman,

Welcome! Enjoy magic with your kids. One piece of advice: I would suggest you don't teach them how you do any trick. If one or more of them are interested, get them a kids book of magic.

KJ
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Czimmerman,

So are you into Kid's Magic per se or are you showing your kids the Magic that interests you?

Are you kidding IKJ? If a Kid wants to learn Magic and they have a Mother or Father that is a Magician, why not teach them one effect at a time and see if they practice?
I have benefitted greatly from one on one mentoring from my partner. I'm glad he did not just give me a book.

Like Dr. Midnight, I'm surprised you have the time for Magic Czimmerman.

-Mary Mowder
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Mary,

I think I didn't communicate well. What I meant to say was don't just reveal the secret to every trick you do. I think you stated it better in saying teach them a single trick and see if they are really interested in learning magic or if they just want to know the secret. I made the mistake of revealing magic secrets to my daughter many years ago and she just became somewhat jaded about magic.

KJ
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Good lesson IKJ

I think you are right.

-Mary
Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
Only my oldest seems interested in card tricks. They all love watching performances. We just started watching some of Dan Harlan's dvds. They are allowed to watch the performance half of the disks. I have to kick them out of the living room when he does the teaching part. They also love the few mentalism tricks I learned.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Sounds like you are on the right track.

You asked about magic shops. I can't speak for your area, but it seems brick and mortar magic shops are going the way of the Dodo. I make most of my purchases through Penguin online. They have great pricing and free delivery if you order above a certain amount (I think it's $40 or $50). Also, this Magic Café is a great place to buy used magic. See the "Let's make a deal" topic.

I have particularly liked the Penguin Live Lectures over the years because they are a real good inspiration on how to entertain with magic as opposed to just how to perform "a trick".

KJ
Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
I have a question... I frequent yard sales and second hand stores all the time... This year I picked up 20 issues of Linking Ring (17 still in the plastic) and 3 opened.
My main interests are escapes, cons + bets, sideshow stunts and gambling type things so the three issues I have read are not in my are of interest. How do I go about pricing them or trading them for something that's more in line with my interests? If this is the wrong area for this message please move it if possible. I am still learning the site here. Thanks.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3530 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Hi. The "Let's make a deal" forum is a good place for trading. You can also learn about what is available and how much things sell for.

As for cons & bets, while many people say the internet is a terrible place to learn magic, there are a TON of con/bets on the internet. Do a search on "bar bets" and you will get hundreds. Some of my favorite "bar bets" I learned from the internet. I think there was a British TV show featuring Paul Wilson (?) that dealt with bets and scams. I forget the name, but I think you can view every episode on the internet. I don't do any bar performing and certainly no scams, but I like them as interesting mind teasers/challenges with my kids. One of my favorites is the challenge of balancing a paper clip on water.

Good luck.

KJ
Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
I do the bar bet performing at lunch at work. My kids love them too. Todd Robbins DVD on Modern Conmen cost their grandpa plenty of dollar bills.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Father of nine (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL