The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Pet Comedy routines with Spring Animals! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I have used my pet skunks (for I upgrade to a "fresh skunks" every few years) since the late 1980's.

Great for silent-comedy:
Keep in mind that my character, "Max", is completely silent and so no words are exchanged (only thoughts, fun, and laughter).

Note: Of course, the skunk works for the speaking entertainer as well.

Skunk vs. Raccoon:
I prefer the skunk over the raccoon because I believe that it is more visually striking (the contrast and the fact that a skunk is suppose to "smell" and creates more of a reaction. Beside, it fits more my gentle, but mischeivious character and the black and white theme of my tailsuit and wingtips.

Spring animals as an effective warm-up tool:
I use my the skunk as a warm-up tool for both myself and the guests. It allows me to size them up for the major sleight-of-hand portion of my mingling magic, and/or stage show.

90 % of the time, I use the skunk to simply greet guests at they enter the event room,at the main entrance, then quickly put him away to move into the thick of my magic. Or, instead, I might mingle with him during cocktails to break the ice (5-10 minutes maximum, for 100 or less guests, and 15 minutes tops for 100+ guests). I circulate with him during cocktails, but I don't feel the need to show him to each and every guest in the room.

One entertainer's particular style of animating the skunk:
I don't do much with my skunk, except --make him look awfully real...so real that people do double,and triple takes. All (well almost all) want to pet him.

SKUNKPHOBIA:
For those few guests over the years that have appeared seriously "phobic" at the sight of this furry (albeit friendly) creature --and you'll know it right away as you make your approach, for you'll see it in their eyes and in their facial and body language-- I am carefull not to "push" my skunk's presence on them. In fact, on these very rare occasions, I will gesture with my wave my hand in a kind and friendly way, as if to say "I understand, don't worry". I then quickly I move to the other side of the room and continue the routine.

THE SHRIEK FACTOR:
Often, to the delight of others in the group, there are a few women in the room (or at the door) that let out a sudden shriek when they go to pet what they initially believe is a fake animal, but then (by the skunk's sudden and lively movement) realize "he's real!!". The occasional guy also gets very startled (though for some reason, guys like to project the image that they are calm around skunks!)

This pet routine (along with others) has served me well over many many years and I have the worn out fur on many a spring animal to prove it.

PHOTO OPS:
For those that seek photo ops, note that photographers seem very attracted towards photographing the guest's reaction to the skunk as he crawls up my arm. My difficulty with this is that I wear a black tailcoat and he (the skunk) always seems to turn invisible once the photo is printed and published in the next morning's paper.
Still the guest in the photo seems to be please with the photo op, and it does succeed in getting the entertainer's name in front of the masses.

All the best! Smile

Magically,
"Max"
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
http://www.maxmagician.com
max@maxmagician.com
Jonathan
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Great stuff!!!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Glad to hear you enjoyed my post. Hope it helps.
Jonathan
The Magical Duo
View Profile
New user
USA
35 Posts

Profile of The Magical Duo
I am interested in comming up w/ a comedy routine for 3 spring animals and 2 people. any suggestions?
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. Gene Wilder BLAZING SADDLES
ivfour
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
233 Posts

Profile of ivfour
Jlevey,
Where did you get your pet spring skunk from. A friend of mine uses rocky, so I'm looking for something different?

Jerry
Jerry Smile
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Most local magic stores carry the skunk model. If your local shop doesn't carry them, I'm sure they can order them. If you prefer, you can visit the Magic Warehouse web site and order the skunk for $36.00 US.

The link to the Magic Warehouse site

You can also go directly to the supplier

Good luck!

Jonathan (JLevey)
Jonathan
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
I perform a vetriloquist bit of nonsense and then I make my racoon float with the newspaper seance.

You can perform and stupid tartining routine
Take out a german newspaper and say "He knows german, ¡Look he is reading it,,,!"
He also can read minds and begin with clasical or ad-libitum audience coments...

Darío

A good thing I read from a puppet book, is that the animal can speak wishpering you in your ears, and then you say in loud voice what he said.

Darío
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2004-09-08 22:19, The Magical Duo wrote:
I am interested in coming up w/ a comedy routine for 3 spring animals and 2 people. any suggestions?

2 people as in 2 performers? I guess so considering your name.

The trouble with 3 animals and 2 people is that one spring animal will be inanimate. Unless one of the 3 is always hidden.
On the other hand, it is possible to animate 2 at a time, but not very well.
When I recently bought a fresh raccoon I had a bit of fun entertaining my girlfriend by animating 2 at the same time and and trying to stop them getting "frisky". It was pretty funny but not something that would suit my performing personality. Also I couldn't make them look as real as usual operating them one-handed but it might be possible with practise.
George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Pet Comedy routines with Spring Animals! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.53 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL