The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Effects I use when building a crowd... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
To build a crowd I often perform the old Silk Vanish. I know many others use this as well. It is PERFECT. A build trick should be repeatable, visual, and quick. Another trick I use when I get bored with the Silk Vanish is the infinite billiard ball production. I do it silently and I put the balls into my hat. I then pick the hat up like it's heavy and go to put it on my head. It always gets a giggle and stops people in their tracks.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi Shaun
Great to hear you building a street show with a Silk Vanish. I always have one in my kit I built a crowd with it for years as well as producing it from my mouth. Holding out is the key to this, timming the longer you hold out the more people will see it. I also have my routeen on my Street Performing Manual. Keep up the great work.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! Bobo sharedthe TT&silk with me at the '75 SAM conv.in Chicago. I used ot to OPEN my school show for at least ten years. It's still in the prop case, and I still use it, mostly for walk around. I'm sure it would be very strong in building a tip.

Shaun>>>You mention the "infinite" ball production. I'm assuming that that is what Percy Abbott sold me in 1950. He called it "Percy'x Perpetual Balls". ($1.00!!!)
The PPP is one of the best dollars I've ever spent with a dealer! It's the basic bit in my ball routine. I've found it a great bit when working a noisy cocktail party, or when sorking a 'line' at an amusement park. In the school show, it was a 'perverse' bit, and never failed to kill them.

I've seen very few guys using it. Maybe it's just "thee and me"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
I do something similar with sponge balls. If I see someone who looks like they'll make for a good strt to a crowd, I tell them to "hold on to this" and go to hand them the ball, doing a quick vanish. I do it very nonchalant, and it usually happens as you hear them starting to say "Oh no than- Wait WHAT THE ****!? Guys, did you see that?" I tell 'em they should see the rest of the show, it's even crazier! Usually gets 'em good!
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I was reading a bit last night in the book by E.M. McFalls "Cellini The Royal Touch" which is a mix of memories by Jim Cellini and practical street magic. There are few pages about sponge balls, and the silk and TT [p 74-77. I recalled to myself the idea of planting a duplicate object [ball, silk, etc.] in a nearby place [a different pocket, under a Cup, in your shoe...whatever] and disappearing the 1st object and then going to that duplicate one and bringing it forth as if it is the 1st object that you somehow shifted unseen to the new location.

There's so much that can be done with sponge balls, balls, silks, coins on the street. From the simple disappear - reappear, multiplying, changing colour and shape and size, producing from a spectator's ear, hair, pocket etc. Your routine can be just sleights, or be tied in with a story/patter that makes it run longer and be more interesting.

The commercially produced TT has been around only 60 or so years, hasn't it?
The presentation makes the magic.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Nice post already.

Just want to add something I use and that multiplying bananas. Easy to do and eye catching with the advantage of holding out or doing quickly. I also talk and make contact with the few first that stop. I use to soon as someone stopped pull them in and start sponge balls and hope to have a small crowd by the end to build on. Now as people stop I start talking to them and build more people. It seem as if the first ones that stop like to watch the moment of people notice whats going on. Also one bit I love is you have 5 or so people watching and they kind of know whats going on. Them a guy comes along and is stunned to see banana after banyan then he works it but wants to tell you in a big voice how clever he is. I say well done it took you 10 hose to watch well done. Then I pull the crowd in and start sponge balls. So I now have my small crowd before the start of sponge balls rather then at the end.

Note on my sponge balls I do mine from a purse frame. This helps to give the hands reason to be busy and also go into pockets. It also great to hand out to people to pull them in as well. They will not leave if holding something of yours.

Hope this helps and I be interested to see what else comes up. The idea of holding out and building slow rather then to rush on is something I am just getting sorted.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Effects I use when building a crowd... (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL