The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Monty Python Banking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It now costs us money to lend the bank our money and the more we lend them the more it costs us!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27717594

The idea is to force us to take our money out of the bank and spend it.

Hmmm very uninteresting.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I think it is quite interesting. But it applies to banks doing transactions with the ECB, not to individuals.

The idea appears to be to force, or at least encourage, the banks to lend to companies.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Your TV link says the same thing I did. "Europe’s key deposit rate is now -0.1 per cent. Mr Draghi says they will offer £400bn of cheap loans to banks, to encourage them to lend to business."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Did you watch the report and hear him explain what it meant?

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I have.

My original comment is just that the ECB move applies to banks doing transactions with the ECB, not directly to individuals.

The reporter is correct insofar as the banks may try to pass the negative interest rates onto its customers, but that's not for certain. He's being inaccurate when describing the ECB move in that manner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/upshot......ean.html

"The theory is that when it becomes more costly for European banks to keep money in the E.C.B., they will have incentive to do something else with it: Lend it out to consumers or businesses, for example. Or if negative rates make it less attractive for global investors to park money in Europe, it could cause the euro to fall on currency markets, helping reverse a rise in its value that has made European exporters less competitive."

"Banks will most likely pass these negative interest rates on to consumers, or at least try to. They may try to do so not by explicitly charging a negative interest rate, but by paying no interest and charging a fee for account maintenance."

"On the other hand, if the interest rate is only slightly negative, banks may just eat the loss in order to avoid alienating customers. If they do that, however, it will cut into bank profitability."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks.

Tommy
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Or you can put your big bucks in Gringott's!
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Monty Python Banking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL