The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop cup tricks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drgnjames123
View Profile
New user
delaware
32 Posts

Profile of drgnjames123
What kind of tricks can be done with a chop cup? Smile
James
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Have you read the instructions? Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Or even read the description in a magic catalog?
drgnjames123
View Profile
New user
delaware
32 Posts

Profile of drgnjames123
Thanks Pete and Randy. Anyone else?
James
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
158 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
I started with the Brad Burt video, and found it very helpful with the basic moves and concepts. It provides a simple but very good routine.
drgnjames123
View Profile
New user
delaware
32 Posts

Profile of drgnjames123
Thanks Almost a magician, Sorry pete and Randy. What I meant to say was that I bought a metal cup in a second hand store and would like to know what good routines I can perform with it and if any books, what are good ones?

Thanks, sorry for the confusion, James.
James
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Maybe what you need to think in terms of is not necessarily the "tricks" that can be done with a chop cup, but the ROUTINES that can be done with one. Tommy Wonder has a really nice one. John Mendoza published a routine in the late 1960's with a combo cup and ball set that basically put these things on the map. Don Alan's routine is one of the classics.

Basically a chop cup (more correctly a Chop-Chop cup) can be used to produce an item or to vanish it. In the context of a routine, however, it can be used for the transposition of an item also. So, the answer goes back to some of the ones you may have considered to be flippant or even rude -- read the instructions and/or the descriptions in the catalogs and on the internet.

It's a versatile prop. When I performed at the Texas Renaissance Festival and at Cavalier Dayes of Texas, it was a feature of my act.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
No problem.

I assume (Of course we all know what that does LOL!) that this is an ungaffed cup?

There are several one cup and ball routines out there. The Classic Magic Of Larry Jennings has his one cup and ball routine in it. The book is by Stephen Minch.

If it is actually a chop cup again there are many books with routines out there. In John Bannon's book Impossiablia.
drgnjames123
View Profile
New user
delaware
32 Posts

Profile of drgnjames123
Thanks I'll check that book out!!
James
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I like John Mendoza "Live in London," a nice video showing his Cups and Balls and Chop Cup Routine. He has a very disarming way of beginning that lets the audience see that it is a little game that they can't win; mercifully, he establishes this without embarassing anyone.

The "How To" Book of the Chop Cup by Merlyn T. Shute (Morrissey Magic) is comprehensive; I highly recommend it. You will have the basis for developing your own routine with this.

I have a terrific Chop Cup (King Arthur's Chop Chalice) made by a company called "Poof Products" (circa 1990). It is a Chop Cup in pewter that looks like a chalice. It would be perfect for a Ren Faire. I don't know how many of these were made. What I like about it is that you can begin your routine with a toast to your hosts or other VIPs, then slide right into magic. It will take a really big final load, too.

You can see a picture at:

http://www.memoryelixir.com/archive6.html#wilson

Good luck!

Yours,

Paul
TieDyeBandit
View Profile
New user
Lakewood, Colorado
2 Posts

Profile of TieDyeBandit
I believe this is the Chalice you are thinking of Dr.Wilson...picked it up at an Estate sale sometime ago. LOVE IT! Not sure what the exact worth is now... I paid about $20 back then early 90s.
TieDyeBandit
View Profile
New user
Lakewood, Colorado
2 Posts

Profile of TieDyeBandit
Here is the link to the pic of the Chalice. https://instagram.com/p/BHvJyQxj_9z/
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
That's a cool chop cup. I like the chop mug for its normality.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Check out "ChopSign" -- many interesting uses for the chop cup
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I had a really nice one, a mini-chop "goblet" with tiny cork balls ( about the size of a pea) and the final load was about the size of a multiplying billiard ball. I used Merlyn's routine from his book "Out Of Your Pockets" and, as that routine required a second final load, I wrote the company (can't remember their name and I think they went out of business anyway) and asked if they could send me another ball. They sent two! I loved that cup and was upset when I lost it, along with the rest of my backpack when I left it at the bus stop Smile I got a new one recently. Wooden. Not as crazy about this one as it takes a serious move to present the ball. (Trying not to give away secrets here.) It came with two larger, lopsided, yellow sponge filled balls, Smile which works for me because the final reveal is supposed to be; "You're right, I DO have a second ball." Lift cup "But I don't think it would fool anyone."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I'm having the Camelot chalice made for me. Go to the hidden wren website. The gentleman who makes custom items is a cabinetmaker in Wales.
Asaka
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Asaka
Yes, just watch the performance of Paul Daniels then you know what it can be done
Indeed, his performance video made me wanna learn the routine of Chop Cup...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-Bby3iWVs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop cup tricks (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL