The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup Advice wanted....Makes and Model differences (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
OK, so I recently purchased an inexpensive chop cup set just to see if I could still stun folks with the effect. Everyone I've done it with always seems to be so totally stunned about how the ball travels all the ways back to the cup. Also after their initial shock of it and I'm still using the original ball I tell them how easy a thing it is for them to do and do a switch to let them "try" to do it themselves and then I switch back to show them how easy it really is when they fail. By now they're laughing and rather amazed. I've done this a few times even with a final change they are still being all dazed.

...now I'm no Paul Daniels or anything but I am now convinced I haven't lost my chops with the chop cup (pun ever so sleightly intended) and I want to get a good set that will take some wear and be a comfortable size and weight. I prefer Chop cups with a smooth tapered or bell tapered sides. I like a rolled lip on the mouth and a fair divot or impression on the top of the bottom of the cup for the ball not to go rolling off when it is meant to neatly rest there. Also a set of knit balls that size wise seem like they belong with the cup ( so many chop cup sets seem to have teeny tiny knit balls that appear to be little coloured dust bunnies next to their cup)

RNT2 have some beautiful cups and balls but I'm not in a position to afford any of their masterpieces right now. I would prefer not to pay more than $100. The thirty dollar chop cup set I had 10 years ago was great but I lost it and the brand name with it Smile
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Not sure anyone can tell you what cups look and feel right to you nor what balls look right with the cup. It's all a matter of personal taste. You could start with eBay. Search "chop cup". There are tons of them, many of them at fair prices. Good luck.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1593 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Maybe the chop cup from the Bazar de magia c&b set? It is copper or brass good size and not too expensive, you can add a set of RNT2 balls that could be adjusted
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Chucklerich,
There is a lot of information regarding chop Cups here at the Café; to assist you in your search I have attached a search for Chop Cups…
http://tinyurl.com/lusyhhw

I own very many Chop Cups made of many materials and from different vendors. They ones that I use the most are from RNT2. They just feel right (the right amount of heft so that the move can be done with little effort) and the gaffs are pretty much undetectable. If you can, try to find some other magicians and try out their Cups… there are differences to be felt.
Though more than you want to spend the “Ken Brooke JR Cup” would be one to consider being it has a mouth bead and saddle as you requested. If you can do without the mouth bead the “Don Alan” copper Chop Cup is a real worker. It has a great feel to it, a very pleasing shape and much room for a final load. It is listed for $115 with 1 1/8” balls and bag.
I can tell you this, that there is a world of difference stepping up to Cooper or brass compared to aluminum. The quality of the metal used by RNT2 is better than the bargain Cups in most cases; they polish up well and if you want them to develop a patina they will form more evenly.
If you do go with a less expensive Chop Cup, do purchase some RNT2 adjustable balls… I have yet to find a Chop Cup that they don’t work well with. Being adjustable, you can fine tune the balls to your touch.

I wish you luck,
Bruce
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I didn't like the Bazar de Magia chop cup; I think the inside looks dodgy, but YMMV.

If you can stand waiting, nice chop cups do pop up 2nd hand quite often. Check here, Genii and the big auction site. I got a nice Don Alan cup last year for £40.

Good luck! Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5084 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I just got a leather chop cup set that unsnaps and carrys flat. Comes with chop ball, regular ball both red. A Green larger final (bouncy ball) and a very nice little wand. You can also produce a full shot glass as a final. Instructions on the mini DVD. $50 at Magic Warehouse (or anywhere else)

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......OP%20CUP

Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1993 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2014, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I just got a leather chop cup set that unsnaps and carrys flat. Comes with chop ball, regular ball both red. A Green larger final (bouncy ball) and a very nice little wand. You can also produce a full shot glass as a final. Instructions on the mini DVD. $50 at Magic Warehouse (or anywhere else)

I have one - I like it. It does not work with 'normal' chop balls. A pool ball is also a good fit for a final load.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5084 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2014, puggo wrote:
I have one - I like it. It does not work with 'normal' chop balls. A pool ball is also a good fit for a final load.

I think they use a red bouncy ball then a tomato in that video demo. I like the green ball better due to size and color difference and I also have a set of three large red crochet balls that match the ones you get. (they are finals from an old set I've had for years) but I do like the idea of a red pool ball too. Lots of possibilities.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2014, BCS wrote:
Chucklerich,
There is a lot of information regarding chop Cups here at the Café; to assist you in your search I have attached a search for Chop Cups…
http://tinyurl.com/lusyhhw

I own very many Chop Cups made of many materials and from different vendors. They ones that I use the most are from RNT2. They just feel right (the right amount of heft so that the move can be done with little effort) and the gaffs are pretty much undetectable. If you can, try to find some other magicians and try out their Cups… there are differences to be felt.
Though more than you want to spend the “Ken Brooke JR Cup” would be one to consider being it has a mouth bead and saddle as you requested. If you can do without the mouth bead the “Don Alan” copper Chop Cup is a real worker. It has a great feel to it, a very pleasing shape and much room for a final load. It is listed for $115 with 1 1/8” balls and bag.
I can tell you this, that there is a world of difference stepping up to Cooper or brass compared to aluminum. The quality of the metal used by RNT2 is better than the bargain Cups in most cases; they polish up well and if you want them to develop a patina they will form more evenly.
If you do go with a less expensive Chop Cup, do purchase some RNT2 adjustable balls… I have yet to find a Chop Cup that they don’t work well with. Being adjustable, you can fine tune the balls to your touch.

I wish you luck,
Bruce

Thank you for returning my attention to the Rings N Things store and especially the Ken Brook Junior Cup...It is exactly the style I am looking for ..but I feel it is a bit small for my hands. They also carry the larger Ken Brooke Master Cup. I hope to purchase one as soon as the come back in stock. The reason I would rather use a cup with a beaded/rolled edge is I Believe it would hold up better. Also I am used to seeing chop cups (and regular cups) with this kind of rim so seeing one without it feels like something is missing... Prolly just a matter of what one is used to.

Thanks Again Smile
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Chucklerich.... You are welcome; I can understand liking what you like... so if it is beaded, so be it.

I have own the Ken Brooke JR and Master... IMO the size, load wise is much the same, the Master just being taller. Each are great Cups.

Best of luck,
Bruce
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Chucklerich... I also should add that RNT2 hs a 30 return policy... that can't be beat.

Bruce
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
261 Posts

Profile of Slappy
One vote here, for the Johnson Product (JP) chop cup. It's got the bell shape and the rolled lip you're looking for plus it has a nice weight to it. It comes with balls, but I would consider a larger set from RNT2. The JP cups are I bit more expensive but worth it. Down the line you can get the JP cups and balls set and you can do some great combo routines.
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
There's a lot more to consider too, such as the size of your final loads, working ball size and type, your clothing (in comparison) etc etc. I too prefer a rolled mouth bead and although they are not overly popular I do like chop cups that have a shoulder bead (though these are more common with combo sets that single chop cups as they are not meant to be stacked.) You can download a free sampler here http://tinyurl.com/kmvzjdn if you scroll to the bottom and enter the password (surname of the professor) that should cover most of what you need.

You might also want to look into leather cups if you want to handle a cup with a final load in naturally (that should be enough to explain as we're not in secret sessions...)

Bri

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The Don Alan Chop Cup from RNT2 is excellent. I have 2. I love it because it takes a full size baseball. I use a copper one at my bar gigs and talk about my favorite drink being a Moscow Mule, which is served in a copper cup...of course, mine is better. I finish with a lime and 2 baseballs.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want an idea of what is and has been available in chop cups, go to the cups and balls museum. http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com . You need to apply for a username ans password, but that's easy enough. It is free. I don't make a dime from it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Threecard
View Profile
New user
Sunny Arizona
98 Posts

Profile of Threecard
For history of the chop cup, please cheack out:
http://www.clarkwirthlin.com/
All I can say is...WOW....
mkarav
View Profile
Regular user
Westwood, NJ
103 Posts

Profile of mkarav
In my opinion, the gold standard in chop cups is "Just a Cup" by Axel Hecklau; although not cheap it leaves other chop cups in the dust as is a leather cup and a die (not ball) and very flexible for routining as you control when you want the die to appear, hence very deceptive.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I love my Johnson cup but I also found an awesome wooden one for a good price on eBay. Search eBay for "chop cup" and you'll see lots of designs and prices to consider.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I am a big fan of RNT-2 for many reasons. Great quality and so many to choose from.

Also a big fan of Eric Hansen's who makes awesome custom wooden chop cups. Eric's chop cups work fantastic with the RNT-2 chop balls and they look fantastic. All you gotta do is contact Eric and see what he has or ask him to make you one according to your expectations, you won't be disappointed with his cups. Here is his link http://www.magicnook.com/EricHansen/ChopCups.htm
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I forgot to mention, when you look inside Eric's chop cup there is absolutely nothing to see but an empty cup, it looks as if the cup was simply carved out out of wood. No one will suspect a thing about these cups!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup Advice wanted....Makes and Model differences (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL