The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » I need an advice in Vernon chronicles books... (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
641 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Hello everybody, I have inner card trilogy and Dai vernon book, I have the ultimate card secrets book. I like very much classic magic of vernon and I'am thinking to buy the vernon chronicles set by Stephen Minch. Because they are out of print and they will cost me some money, do you believe that these books are essential for a vernon fan? I need the opinion of people who have read all of them. In one simple question do you find the Minch books important as the standard books of the professor? Or maybe the Malini and Leipzig book they are another choice?
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2227 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Absolutely...I to am a Vernon fanatic..
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
641 Posts

Profile of Vogler
I forgot to tell that I also have the Vermon revelations dvd set. maybe the material is covered on the dvds?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6079 Posts

Profile of motown
The books are worth getting very little of the material is on those DVDs.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2486 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Why buy more products?

Just because you buy every item released by a particular individual ISN'T going to make you a better performer/entertainer. You've already got enough Vernon material to last you a lifetime. Use your time (and money!) more gainfully by practising to perform well with what you have already got.

In the past, I've known magicians to have enough books, videos and DVD's to fill a library. But if you asked them to dem something from them, they were clueless. They 'bought for buyings sake' - pointless in my opinion.

As the saying goes "Less is often more" - so I'd suggest that you learn from what you've already got. Smile
Barry Allen

Chan Canasta - so much achieved, with so very little. A REAL Mentalist.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
534 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Merc Man. Very wise advice that I often try to apply. However I forget to do so because I am too busy ordering new magic and skimming through my DVDs, effects and books.

After more than 25 years in magic, I realize that I do not perform very often for people as having a new audience for close-up magic is not very realistic unless you are actively looking to perform for strangers (like restaurants and the very few other possible venues for close-up magic).

I now realize that I very much enjoy playing with my magic, discovering what is new, reading a new book with new effects or interesting variations. I have no pressure to perform as I have no intention to make a living with magic. It's supposed to be fun and always getting new magic is fun for me.

Juliano, get the Chronicles. They are classics. You will find some great stuff but not necessarily the easiest or the best or the most accessible to perform.

However I do have a piece of advice for you if you love card magic. I was a Vernon fan for ever. I am recently a bigger Marlo fan. Get all the Malone DVDs (his and on Marlo). You will be blown away.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2085 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah don't fall for it, usually those who tell you not to buy stuff are those who want it all for themselves and most likely buy a lot of stuff. Smile I have been in magic for 34 years now and 25 as a professional, but I am also a collector and I personally can't get enough of it, even if I will never use a fraction of it it does not matter to me as at least I have a lifetime of material awaiting me for when I am ready for it.

That in itself is motivating and inspiring as I like to change out my sets and switch in new material so I don't burn out. You can never learn too much and whether you actually perform it all or not does not matter because you can still learn a lot and one can never get enough knowledge. I have so much material that it is overwhelming just the books and periodicals alone would take a lifetime to get through, as well all the DVDS and single effects. But for me that is the fun of it all, and I only continue to learn more and more and collecting magic is also fun.

So yeah even if you don't perform you still obtain a vast amount of knowledge and experience if only practiced as a hobby. Even Jeff McBride and Eugene Burger stated that many go to their Magic Mystery School simply to learn not to perform, some even want to just know how the secrets work etc. But for me I was always a performer and always wanted to be a performer, and a full-time pro which is what I did but I also still have the passion for learning and collecting magic which is still going strong till this day. I especially love to collect classic books and periodicals, and DVD sets as well so that I have an infinite amount of knowledge at my fingertips for when I am ready to explore it. It also fun to just pick up an 800 page book and flip randomly to one page, kinda like playing the "magic lotto" and seeing what gems that you discover.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
641 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Thank you all of you gentlemen for your help! I agree with both opinions, I know that the pure joy of magic comes from practice, performing and satisfaction of progress. But I also I'am a collector, not a collector just for the quantity, but for the specific things that you want to use them. Anyway, I ordered already the three first volumes. Many thanks!!
theghostcompany
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
82 Posts

Profile of theghostcompany
Juliano - just one additional hint in case you haven't seen it: there is also a digital version of the books available (http://llepub.com/), at a fraction of the price for used books. If your interested in the first place as a collector it's obviously not the right thing for you (unless you have a rather curious taste), but if it's the information contained in the books that you're after, it may be of interest to you.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
You can save some money and omit Volume 4 of the Vernon Chronicles, the biographical volume. In its day, it was the best account of Vernon's life that was available, but it has since been decisively supplanted by David Ben's superb work, Dai Vernon: A Biography.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
641 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Thank you very much theghostcompany, but I love real books! And Tim thank you as well, I own D. Ben's Vernon biography, so I ordered the three first volumes! I received the first two and they are so good!!
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
641 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Thank you very much theghostcompany, but I love real books! And Tim thank you as well, I own D. Ben's Vernon biography, so I ordered the three first volumes! I received the first two and they are so good!!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2085 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah I only get ID as a last resort as I am collector but also a magician so the info is important to me as well. I would prefer to have one of each today actually. ID's take up way less room but not as practical or easy on the eyes as grabbing a book. But they do save a lot of space. But nothing beats having old classic magic books on the shelf. But ebooks are useful and easier to store. SO as long as I am getting the information somehow I am happy.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
theghostcompany
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
82 Posts

Profile of theghostcompany
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2014, sirbrad wrote:
Yeah I only get ID as a last resort as I am collector but also a magician so the info is important to me as well. I would prefer to have one of each today actually. ID's take up way less room but not as practical or easy on the eyes as grabbing a book. But they do save a lot of space. But nothing beats having old classic magic books on the shelf. But ebooks are useful and easier to store. SO as long as I am getting the information somehow I am happy.

That is pretty much my approach as well. These days I am away from home so often that I rarely get to read the real books. My ebooks on the other hand are always with me on the iPad and I actually get to read them in the train, bus etc.

I therefore often end up with the real books (because I like them much more than the digital version - I have all four Vernon volumes in hardcopy for example) AND the ebooks as well (for being able to access them).
darksage
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of darksage
I have yet to finish the Revelation book as there is just not enough time in the day, but the descriptions and pictures are fantastic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » I need an advice in Vernon chronicles books... (7 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL