The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre sources of haunting music (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jaheath
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of jaheath
I know artists and performers draw inspiration from many different muses, and for me, music is a huge part of my creative process. In looking around for some different sources of bizarre themed music, I was reminded of this sound I read about years ago from NASA's Cassini spacecraft study of Saturn.

Saturn is a source of intense radio emissions, which have been monitored by the Cassini spacecraft. The radio waves are closely related to the auroras near the poles of the planet. These auroras are similar to Earth's northern and southern lights. This is an audio file of radio emissions from Saturn.

http://www.nasa.gov/wav/123163main_cas-skr1-112203.wav

The next track I would submit for your listening pleasure comes from the woods themselves. In a nutshell, artists Bartholomäus Traubeck took cross sections of trees and played them with a modified record player. Instead of using a needle, the device used a camera to analyze the ring and convert it to a waveform. This data is then sent to a piano kit in the program Ableton Live. The results are rather haunting.

http://gizmodo.com/5877479/this-is-what-......d-player

To wrap this up, I would like to share with you a story about birds on a wire. One morning while reading a newspaper, Jarbas Agnelli saw a photograph of birds on an electric wire. He cut out the photo and was inspired to make a song using the exact location of the birds as musical notes. He was curious to hear what melody the birds created. This is the what he came up with.

http://youtu.be/gkRg_FZdLgw

We are surrounded by some amazing sources of inspiration and music. It makes me wonder what else we are overlooking in our everyday lives...
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Great post Jaheath - The radio emissions from Saturn are indeed both haunting and eerily beautiful at the same time.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You are my new hero!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Love the NASA sound track, incredibly creepy. Hard to believe they are radio emissions.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Very enjoyable, thank you.

It is said consciousness sleeps in the plant kingdom, if so, perhaps this is the sound of its dream.
I had someone once speak to me with great sincerity and passion and conviction, his idea that the rings of the tree were not only seasonal marks of age--but somehow prophetic for the future. This is the only mention I had heard of a
tree-ring oracle. Can't speak to the truth of that, but if it were true--it seems the angry sound in the recording (as it scans by that ugly lump)- maybe the tree knew the saw was coming-? Smile
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Ed Solomon a musician and music instructor will love this birds on wire clip.

Kotah
horus1
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of horus1
Great post!
Thank you for sharing!
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of 13
Beautiful ... Great post !
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
I like this Site - all the music is royalty free and you can search by the "feel" of the music. This link for instance is a search for somber, dark, and mysterious music.

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-fre......]=Somber
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Nice site with some great sounds. I have a collection of spooky music, if anyone wants copies pm me.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre sources of haunting music (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL