The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Startling 9-0 Supreme Court decision on Privacy (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
The government doing nothing at all is to Congress' advantage. They are rather fond of the status quo, just like Marie Antoinette.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm in a two-person household where each of us is paying more (her), uncovered at doctors we have histories with (both of us), or getting worse healthcare coverage (both of us). We both lost our existing plans with different companies. Of course that's not "evidence"; those are just "anecdotes." I wouldn't have minded a little more status quo.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20983 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What would have been wrong with status quo for those who were ok with it and fixing things for the 10% or so who had a problem? Why it was necessary to upset the entire apple cart was a political power grab.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

What would have been wrong with status quo for those who were ok with it and fixing things for the 10% or so who had a problem?

Health insurance companies were calling for change for years (decades) no matter what. Through several administrations. So I think maintaining the status quo for the other 90% you talk about was never an option. Health insurance companies knew that what many (most of that other 90%) had was unsustainable. Change for all (or most) was coming, it was just a matter of when.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20983 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea they couldn't wait to be put out of business eventually.

Nonsense.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Re 9-0 decisions, there was recently another one

Back to normal today, though. LOL.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'd note that this has nothing to do with the Snowden material. The NSA collects metadata (i.e. numbers called and numbers from which calls were received. In other words, the same information the phone companies keep on everyone.) They do not listen to everyone's phone calls. When suspicious patterns arise they must obtain a warrant to access more detailed information IF it is available or to place taps to monitor content.)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, balducci wrote:
Quote:

Yes...I would have given long odds to anyone who wanted to bet that Hobby Lobby was going to be 9-0. Smile
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, balducci wrote:
Quote:

Yes...I would have given long odds to anyone who wanted to bet that Hobby Lobby was going to be 9-0. Smile

Yup.

I guess so much for any future Hobby Lobby IPO, though.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I'd note that this has nothing to do with the Snowden material. The NSA collects metadata (i.e. numbers called and numbers from which calls were received. In other words, the same information the phone companies keep on everyone.) They do not listen to everyone's phone calls. When suspicious patterns arise they must obtain a warrant to access more detailed information IF it is available or to place taps to monitor content.)

FWIW, the NSA collects metadata and content.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
Those who don't have the problem don't ever have to think about how bad the problem really is. Meanwhile I went three years with untreated asthma waiting to get some insurance. I suppose if some had their way I'd have just kept on like that and been social Darwin'd out.
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20983 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Did anyone Actually purpose such a ridiculous notion?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:

You certainly aren't suggesting that all phone calls are recorded and listened to by the NSA, are you? If so, please provide evidence and let me know how many NSA operatives it would take to listen to all of the phone calls made daily in this country alone.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
He didn't seem to suggest that at all.

'Collect' and 'Listen to' are quite different things completely.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20983 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That would be a sure cure for unemployment! Can you imagine the manpower needed for such a thing?

Even collecting and cataloguing would be impossible.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, rockwall wrote:
He didn't seem to suggest that at all.

'Collect' and 'Listen to' are quite different things completely.

Fine. Are you suggesting that ALL calls are recorded without notice to the parties? That is certainly the impression given by the Snowden "revelations," even though it is not true.

If we were really doing that, I'd think we'd have found Jimmy Hoffa by now.

What bothers me is why no one is upset that FaceBook, Google and private organizations collect far more private information about us than any government ever did, yet I don't hear a peep of complaint about that from Greenwald, Zuckerberg, et al.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:

You certainly aren't suggesting that all phone calls are recorded and listened to by the NSA, are you? If so, please provide evidence and let me know how many NSA operatives it would take to listen to all of the phone calls made daily in this country alone.

I used to wonder about that in the Soviet Union. You'd hear stories of university students figuring out that, when in the dorm, if they said out loud that a light bulb was burned out, it would be miraculously replaced by the end of the day. It boggles the mind.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Did anyone Actually purpose such a ridiculous notion?

It's pretty much the far right's motto, isn't it? "Let them wish they could afford cake but they can't because they're not the 'productive class' so let's slash food stamps and keep them from getting insurance or anything else that is, you know, essential for life because I earned this money by having the best last name! Predatory loans? Poppycock! Little entitled b..." Sorry, got a bit too into character there. I like cake.
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I don't think the decision mentioned in the OP is startling at all. It would have been startling if someone dissented. Obviously we have an expectation of privacy when it comes to our cell phones.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
That would be a sure cure for unemployment! Can you imagine the manpower needed for such a thing?

Even collecting and cataloguing would be impossible.

They now have the capability to collect, catalogue, and search using computer technology.
I've posted links many times to all this. It's in the NSA's own documents.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Startling 9-0 Supreme Court decision on Privacy (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL