The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why I will never ever ever ever step into a Cracker Barrel restaurant » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Now you are making things up out of thin air. Lets stick with actual facts and not deal with bs UTOPIAN visions of what can be shall we?

Oh the comedy. Just one post above mine, Danny Doyle wrote

Quote:
Would it be right just for employees to decide to give away anything they want to whoever they want whenever they want?

Which as near as I can tell, he just made up out of thin air.

Why the double standard, Danny?

No John you are trying to play the class envy card and introduce new things into the discussion to distract from the facts. I simply extended those facts to include all employees. You want to make it about discrimination. It is not. But keep trying. It is as you say comical
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Does anyone really believe that he would have been fired if he gave the same stuff to a well-dressed family that rolled up in an SUV?

And bought nothing.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone really believe that he would have been fired if he gave the same stuff to a well-dressed family that rolled up in an SUV?

And bought nothing.

Sure.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Now you are making things up out of thin air. Lets stick with actual facts and not deal with bs UTOPIAN visions of what can be shall we?

Oh the comedy. Just one post above mine, Danny Doyle wrote

Quote:
Would it be right just for employees to decide to give away anything they want to whoever they want whenever they want?

Which as near as I can tell, he just made up out of thin air.

Why the double standard, Danny?

No John you are trying to play the class envy card and introduce new things into the discussion to distract from the facts. I simply extended those facts to include all employees. You want to make it about discrimination. It is not. But keep trying. It is as you say comical

I have no idea what the "class envy card" is, Danny. But you did engage is a sloppy double-standard.

If you read landmark's original post, class has everything to do with his posting of this story. (The fact that the man is a veteran seems morally irrelevant to me, though.)

The question before us is this: was he fired for giving away company property? Or was he fired for giving away company property to an "undesirable"?

All we can do is speculate. But if you rule the second half of the discussion out of order, you've missed the entire point.

So I ask you: do people just walk into fast food restaurants (I've never seen a Cracker Barrel, so I'm not sure what it looks like) and just take condiments? In my experience, they do. And napkins, too. I've never seen anyone stopped from doing this (except in mall foodcourts, where condiments are more tightly controlled).

Now, I've never seen a fast-food restaurant with a greeter, so I have no opinion about the corn muffin. What are the odds of one of those being given away to more desirable-looking customers?

Class is in the story, whether we like it or not.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And bought nothing.

Sure.

After 4 warnings for the same thing? Yes...I'll be the anyone who really believes that.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 29, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And bought nothing.

Sure.

After 4 warnings for the same thing? Yes...I'll be the anyone who really believes that.

:) But would he have had the four warnings?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Keep moving those goal posts, Magnus. It's not about class. I'm guessing where you live it is. The guy was fired for giving away food after being admonished for it four times. The ones bringing "class" into it are whatever media outlet might need to spin the story with partial truths, and you.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Unless we have some indication of otherwise, I'll believe Cracker Barrel would give the guy the same four warnings for giving food away no matter WHO he'd given it to.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Actually Cracker Barrell joints are pretty nice places. Old fashioned home cooking and nice country type stores adjoining them. As with any business, inventories have to be controlled and when employees break the rules, they must be disciplined accordingly. In this case, I belive management was correct in terminating him.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And bought nothing.

Sure.

:) But would he have had the four warnings?

As long as we're speculating, sure...he might have even gotten them faster. I could see the first incident being unofficial in the actual case: "Hey, I know you meant well, but there's a policy...next time, I'll have to write you up.". In your hypothetical, maybe it's, "What, you don't think they can afford their own muffin?!"

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Btw, I'm not defending any position with regard to the firing. If the facts are all as stated, I don't see a problem with him being let go after the warnings. I suspect landmark doesn't either.

The interesting question (for me) is the policy. Packets of sauce and corn muffins are throw-aways, with no expectation for financial return beyond good will. They're free items. What does Cracker Barrel gain by restricting who takes extra packets? (Again, assuming that the story got the facts straight.)
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
Btw, I'm not defending any position with regard to the firing. If the facts are all as stated, I don't see a problem with him being let go after the warnings. I suspect landmark doesn't either.

I'll take that bet!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
LOL

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I dislike the fact that he felt compelled to tell them he
was a Veteran.

"Hey you can't fire me, I'm a Veteran!" Would that sit well
with anyone if you were his peer? That sense of entitlement
really irks me.

On the other side of the coin, Cracked-Barrel is running a new
promotion on their fake book page Here.

The comments on that page are much more entertaining than here.

I dislike companies that pander to one's sense of patriotism
when it serves their financial needs. The difference between
sincerity and disingenuous is very obvious to myself as a
Veteran whenever I run across one of these promotions.

The homeless man already had fish which is why he wanted
mayonnaise. It wasn't like he would have starved that day.
Perhaps that is why Joe chose the muffin for the fish meal.

He was reprimanded four times before this, but I'll bet you he
was guilty of this many times without being caught. It was a
pattern a behaviour. Keep in mind he worked for them since 2011.

I have a deep sense of community, but in this case there are
circumstances that supercede them.

If I were Joe, I would have said, "Let me go ask the owner or
the manager." Perhaps he didn't because he wanted to feel good
about himself and didn't want to share the glory with either.

Joe excercised poor judgment, it's that simple.
Good initiative, but poor judgement!

p.s. Careful there Magnus, for you may get banned and we need
all opinions around here.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It ain't easy to make money out of a restaurant and nothing in a business is bought to be thrown away. The world of condiment packets is no cottage (cheese) industry according to The Times, it is worth approximately $2B a year they say by the way. Food is perishable and lot does get thrown away of course. It's business not personal. The other week I bought a Café which has just gone broke. I would not advise it as a good business unless you know what you are doing and have it all worked out to the penny.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Landmark and his ridiculous Utopian ideas are just that, ridiculous.

P.S. Love you Landmark Smile
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Look up what the company does for Wounded Warrior project.

The packets are not give a ways. They are costs rolled into the price of other PURCHASES. But obviously in Utopia no need to care. It is free for everyone and anyone who disagrees would automatically not care if someone was in an SUV. How ridiculous. Nope it is not about a habit and custom or multiple warnings. It is about class envy.

Sorry guys. Pretty thin. Theft of another's property is wrong. Unless you believe there should be no private property. They were not throw aways as they were not in the garbage.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I will always step into a Cracker Barrel restaurant until needy folks hang around the place looking for free handouts of condiments and corn muffins and then I'm outta there!
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:

No, no...that's not the argument. If you go into Bill Gates's house and take the thousand, THAT'S decency.

And maybe then he might steal the plans to the A-Bomb and blow up the world.

But he didn't, see. That's the difference. How about dealing with what *is*, instead of paranoid fantasies? He gave a corn muffin (not $1000) to a needy person (not the Taliban) and the gutless wonder manager fired him for it. Did the manager get a little gold star for what he did?

Nothing to do with Utopia. Everything to do with decency 101.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Are corn muffins a complimentary item in Cracker Barrel? The sort of thing they put on every table, refill as desired, and throw out by the dozen at the end of the night?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why I will never ever ever ever step into a Cracker Barrel restaurant » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL