The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Ideas For Arts Fair Booth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I've decided to participate in a local arts fair showcasing artists and their "wares." My primary goal is for publicity/marketing purposes, but in order to qualify I'll be offering basic balloon twisting, as well as some BOR items I sell. Obviously I would like to entertain as well, but since I primarily present on stage I would like to ask what would be some appropriate close-up effects for those who visit my table.

I am considering the following, and would appreciate any feedback on additions/deletions.

Tagged (Richard Sanders)
Sugar Rush
Vanishing Lifesavers (Gospel version, tied in with a postcard handout)
Coin, Brass, Copper (if I can get it down!)
Annihilation Deck and/or Invisible Deck
Spongeballs

Thanks for any input.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3285 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
If you want 50 kids around your table, just show up with a rabbit

stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of stempleton
HaHa!
Yeah, I thought about that, but being outside I did not want to subject "Bungee" to the heat, even if under a canopy. Also, I've been to previous festivals of this type, and most are adults, so I'm sure I'll see more of them. Balloons for the kids that accompany them.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3285 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
In my experience of developing business at an Expo that magic tricks are not a value; within a short time the kids that you have performed a trick for will tell the other kids and they all come back to see you perform, but everyone already knows the ending, spoiling the surprise.

I let the kids pet the rabbit while I explain how great my show is to the parents; in addition I also take email address and the date of the child's birthday and promise not to add them to a mailing list, just one email about a month before the birthday to remind them I'm alive and performing and if they don't reply, I destroy the email address

In the heat, I line the bottom of the pan I keep the rabbit in with ice and cover the ice with thick towels, then the rabbit can lay down and cool off. I don't allow the kids to pet the rabbit unless the parent is present with the kid

I personally would be careful about giving out balloons at a fair; When I'm performing at a home for a birthday party I send out a confirmation letter in advance mentioning a rabbit and balloons being at the party and I'm not responsible for adverse reactions caused by fur or latex.

At a fair giving a small child a balloon and then having an adverse reaction may result in an insurance claim; if you do give out balloons, I would suggest that you make sure that the parent is present and gives permission.

This is just my policy while conducting business and a caution for you of potential pitfalls.

This is my fair set-up, notice one rabbit in the bus in front of the doors, that's were he stays when I park the bus; the pan on the table is where he stays for the kids to pet him

themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I've tried both approaches

best seems to be a show on the hour (or every two hours)for 20 minutes

in between I use my dog arm puppet and balloon busk (often I work with a partner so we take it in turns with our puppets) - audiences love me using a large Filbert pump as they are still a rarity

I sell BOR - but little moves

good for publicity and the costs get covered - but you won't get rich unless you have a face-painter with you - they make much more in most fayres
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Ideas For Arts Fair Booth (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL