The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu mindreading (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danbastianelli
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of danbastianelli
Where can I look for books/dvds explaining how the hell people like Luke Jermay, Colin McCleod and Derren Brown can reveal information about people without any write down? I'm by no means a mentalist but I have witnessed this first hand and I feel it's the closest thing to real magic out there. If anyone knows anything on impromptu mind reading then please please please reply to this
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
You can learn through their material that is available. I'm guessing you are wanting to learn from what you saw watching some of their videos? To be honest, what you see isn't always what you really see. That being said, yes there is a ton of propless material available but if you have no prior knowledge with mentalism, I strongly suggest you start with the more "basics". What is your performing experience? I ask as this type of thing is not something you just go do, it takes time to understand what your doing, why your doing it and also where you take things after.

If you want to look like a pro as the guys above do, invest is books such as Bob Cassidy, Bannacheks Psychological Subtleties, Annemann, Corinda, Paramiracles by Ted Lesley, Luke Jermays wonderful book building blocks and then move on from there. A lot of what you see that you are asking uses methods from those books and some of those techniques are as old as the hills but that's why they are classics, because they work and those performers know how to use them in certain ways. It's all about being creative and being yourself as a performer, there is really no shortcut and this is just from experience as great things truly do take time to master. Also, check the search function and you will find a wealth of knowledge as like I said above, there is so much literature out there on these types of effects, it's just a matter of starting in the right place.

All the best.
Twitter @darjames
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Jamie's advice is priceless. You have to learn to crawl, then walk..... before you can run. Bob Cassidy has an excellent document called "The 39 Steps" and it is available free of charge from his website. He shares the 39 books anyone wishing to embark on the art of mentalism should read. Enjoy.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
myrealsphinx
View Profile
New user
Brazil
79 Posts

Profile of myrealsphinx
Luke Jermay and Peter Turner are great. As the Great Bob Cassidy. Good Luck!!!
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
340 Posts

Profile of dedikc
What I do in this situation is serial prevaricator.
I like it a lot.
nwanstall
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of nwanstall
For me, the go to effect is White Room by Ran Pink. It's just so awesome!
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
I am too in the process of building a simple yet effective repertoire of mentalism effects which require as little preparation as possible. There are so many things out there ! I am currently reading Practical Mental Magic from T. Anneman and Prism from Max Maven. Currently both beside my bed Smile These are the best source of inspiration I've had in years.
One of my favorite effects is Forced Will by Jonas Ljung, available in the magic 21 by sweden dvd (great dvd by the way). This effect is very powerful, simple and totally impromptu. It is also impossible to reverse-engineer if you use all the subtelities Jonas talks about !
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! JAMIE D. and RAY BERTRAND have given you the "real work"!

I knew STANLEY JAKS in the '50s (shortly before he died). He told me some fantastic "stories" about his mental act.

MAX MAVEN didn't get to where he is, overnight! We first met in Miami in '75. He did his "homework"! We haven't had a jackpot session in years. I vividly remember the last time I worked the Castle. Mike Caldwell, Al Goshman, Max, and I had a 3 AM breakfast! What a "session"!!! (The "best part" was: Al Goshman picked up the check! --THAT, was a "miracle"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Get some books on Cold Reading, I don't know any in english but sure some other user does
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have the 21 DVD but haven't watched it yet, seems like I should check it out.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks Mago Elizalde!

I forgot to mention that. Lee Jacobs published a manuscript in English) on CR. It was good. I loaned mine out, and it "disappeared".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
While some of you are talking about CR, what book would you recommend for someone to start in this area ? I am interested in it but I really don't enjoy memory work. Is there an accessible part (even small) of CR among those criterias ?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
My favourite book on CR is Ian Rowlands full facts of cold reading. Lots of useful information in there.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Ben Seatreader
View Profile
Regular user
The College of Winterhold
103 Posts

Profile of Ben Seatreader
'The Prodigal' by Atlas Brookings requires not one single prop. What would you do if you could determine someone's thought of word, impromptu, with nothing written down? Blow minds, that's what.
Michael Murray's 'A Piece Of My Mind' is also promising to be my book of 2014.
Of course, I would recommend some of the classics most readily found in Bob Cassidy's 39 steps if you are new to the field.
Like many before me, Corinda and Annemann paved my way into this strange mystical universe we call mentalism.
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
Personally, I think many of the above offerings are not meant for someone just starting out like this.

Stay away from Turner, Jermay, Brookings and Cold Reading please. At least for now.

I echo Jamie D, who first responded to your question...and second Ray Bertrand.

Do yourself (and others) a big favour and learn the basics first.

You'll be very happy you did.

Cheers,
Alex
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think Chris Philpott's book entitled "Intimate Mysteries" is a great one. It is not overly advanced, but the effects are tremendous!

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu mindreading (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL