The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to split cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Can anybody give me some advice on how to split cards? I am trying to make face to face cards of my own combinations. thanks.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
jimisolo
View Profile
Regular user
League City, TX
110 Posts

Profile of jimisolo
OK, I'm NO expert at this (my advice would be to just buy the mixed gaff decks Smile ), but here are a couple of things that I've heard and/or tried.

1. Gently tap one of the corners on a hard surface until you can see the card start to split. Since you are wanting double backs ("face to face"), then you carefully peel the layer of face off of the front. (opposite would be true for double faces (back to back). Then you begin again with another card. After you have the two halves that you will need, then attach them together with adhesive and lay flat on an ironing board. Put a piece of cloth, or a towel, over the card and use an iron to press flat.

2. I've also heard that you can use steam to begin the splitting process. Then just follow the rest of the steps as outlined above.

Like I said, just go out and buy some gaffed cards. It really isn't that much money compared to the time and energy (not to mention frustration Smile ) you'll incur trying to do it yourself.

But if you're really gung-ho about doing it, try the above methods and let me know how it turns out. If it doesn't work out right (which it won't right off, so be prepared to give it several tries-don't give up too soon), then let me know and I'll go dig out the step-by-step instructions. Smile

My 2,

Rob
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Hi rannie,

I learned to split cards a little over a year ago, and I know at the time it seemed like it took me forever to get the knack. And I'm certainly not the greatest at this, but here is my advice.

Most high quality playing cards are composed of three layers: a thin layer for the face, another thin one for the back, and a thicker layer in the center (so you cannot see through the card when it is held up to a light).

Tap the corner of the card against a hard surface until it starts to split. Once it does, begin to peel it apart at the corner (be careful that it does not rip). You will find that it will start to split so that you have a thin layer on one side and the center layer and other thin layer together on the other side.

Lay the card against the table, thin layer down. Hold the thin layer against the table with your finger, and begin to peel the thick and thin layer away diagonally across the card. As you separate the layers more and more, allow more of your hand to hold the thin layer against the table to prevent it from ripping. Eventually you will get to the other corner. Peel the layers completely apart (once again, being careful that it does not rip).

This is just a very general description, and there are probably better methods out there for card splitting. But this way works for me.

Card splitting is a real knacky thing. It might take a while, but one day you'll try it and everything will click together.

I would also suggest that you take a look at Expert Card Technique. There is a tutorial on card splitting in there that might be quite helpful to you.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Ben Harris offers a great tutorial here:

http://www.wowbound.com/split.html

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Thanks Rob, Emily and John! Big help. I do own about 5 sets of the gaffed cards you mentioned which is available in the market but the combination I need isn't there. I'll give it a shot. I hope to share my effects with you guys soon. Keep in touch

rannie

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Brian D
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Brian D
I made my own Wild Card set with Jokers and the Ace of spades using the method Emily describes. I used a 3M spray adhesive to put them together. You have to be very careful when lining up the cards to put them together. Mine came out great and are almost perfect (except for an almost imperceptible dent on the corner where the cards were initially split.) Good Luck! Smile
Skulldini
View Profile
New user
N. California
80 Posts

Profile of Skulldini
OR order what you want from CardsbyMartin, he can provide you any combo you could ever want.
Skulldini Smile http://www.cardsbymartin.com
Vanished Zauberer
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Vanished Zauberer
I was fooling around with a Svengeli deck one day. I put a napkin over the deck, stabed the deck with knife and it split a card! What a fluke eh? Hahah might not work for you but it worked for me...
"Stress is when you wake up screaming and you you realize you haven't even fallen asleep"

MagicTy
www.magicty.iwarp.com
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
There is an excellent book available called Lickity Split: The Art of Splitting Cards by Martini. Martini is active on this site, so you can send a PM or look at his website: http://www.martinismagic.com . You’ll find Lickity Split by scrolling down to the bottom of the web page. Martini’s work is high caliber and this little book is a gem.

Gary

Smile
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
THANKS GUYS I APPRECIATE THE HELP.

RANNIE

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
One more thing you may want to look up. If you have the software for your computer.... Needed would be Adobe Photoshop, Scanner, good color printer. (also is instructions on how to use MIcrosoft Works as well)

But get the DVD entitled Visible Monte 2000. Not only does it teach you a monte routine. But also how to set up templates so that you can make your own custom printed gaffs using your computer.

Not too much work involved either. Actually quite easy to do.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
I split my cards by soaking them in warm water until spots apear, showing me that they are soaking up water. I get a split going with a penknife, or other impliment, and then carfuly split apart. You should have several cards split at one time so they can be adheared to each other. From there on, I press them between books until sleightly damp (1-2 hours) and beleive it or not, I put them between a napkin that is flat and does not have any designs upon it, and put it to the iron, literaly. I hope this helps.

P.S. The glue already on the card sticks them back together, don't add any more glue.
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
cybercardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
germany,berlin
126 Posts

Profile of cybercardmagic
Here is another link for a cardsplitting tutorial

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/al.kay/tusplit.html

have fun

cybercardmagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to split cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL