The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Anyone use car magnets? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Do any of you use car magnets as advertising and/or see any benefits to this? I think it may be a good way to help get my name out to people and it is very inexpensive.

Do you think it would look professional?

Do you think they would even help?

Thanks-

Theodore
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Maybe for kids entertainers it could create visibility and plant the seed. Just make sure they're big enough, well designed and easily readable with the right information.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I once considered them, but for several reasons opted not to. There was a thread that included this discussion several years ago. The issues that I recall were professionalism, falling off, wear on painted panels.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
You both make some good points to consider.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I myself if I was in that situation would consider a wrap. Can be a great write-off too.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I considered a wrap as well, but never went through with it. It is much more impressive, but you need to be more certain of the design because changes or updates would be a quite a bit more costly.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I have used magnetic signs in conjunction with business card holders. Admittedly, I don't track as well as a should but I suspect that well I am packing, for example, people leaving the show see my vehicle and take cards. The cards disappear, anyway, and I get calls from people who "... Saw you at the XYZ show".

So yeah, I think it works although I can't give good tracking data.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards it. For the price it's hard to resist and the templates I've designed look really nice. Starrpower- I like the cards idea too; I didn't think of that.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I use car magnets on my doors. I have no idea if they have any impact on branding or generating business. I ask everyone who contacts me how they heard about me and no one has ever mentioned the magnets on my doors. I use them anyway since there is a remote possibility that they may be working.

I would call the magnets part of what I classify as "static" advertising. Kind of like an advertisement in a magazine for example. I think a better way to initate a prospect calling you is by being pro-active and either calling them first, or establishing relationships with prospective customers

--Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
One thing for sure, if you are going to put your name and telephone number out there, make sure your driving is superior, you always are courteous to others, and you always give the right of way, because you will be on the Internet the minute someone does not like what he thought you did to him/her. Just the price of being in this new age. Study up on who has the right of way at a 4 way stop. Smile
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think I get the best use from signs (and as I mentioned previously, business card holders) not while driving, but when I am parked outside the venue. When parents come to get their child from a party, my car and cards are there even though I am not. When they are leaving a library show, they pass my vehicle and can take a card. Yes, it's passive, but it allows them to grab a card or remember my name one last time. In fact, I often do NOT have the sign on while I am driving to and from the venue but put them on as a sort of billboard when I arrive.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It changes where you park when you go to the store.

More than the side magnets, the back window signs are far more effective. Just from a perspective of being able to take action while walking through the parking lot vs seeing you drive by. In parking lots the magnets are lost by all except those who park directly next to you.
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2014, misterillusion wrote:
I use car magnets on my doors. I have no idea if they have any impact on branding or generating business. I ask everyone who contacts me how they heard about me and no one has ever mentioned the magnets on my doors. I use them anyway since there is a remote possibility that they may be working.

--Charlie

You DO have an idea of the impact. You are just choosing to ignore it LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
For the record, when I had my minivan I used a magnetic sign on the tailgate, too.

If someone said they saw me at XYZ event I don't ask where they got my card -- at some point I feel people really don't want to be interrogated -- but I assume that even though they SAW me inside they may have picked up a card at my vehicle. As I said, they disappear!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
It's very hard to actually track all your customers. You can have billboards all over town and customers will just say, I got your number out of the phone book.

I suspect that nowadays websites are getting a lot of undue credit. 'Why' they went to your site in the first place is never really mentioned. Where they got your number and why they got it can easily be two different places.

Like Star said, most people don't really want to be interrogated, much easier to just give the short answer.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
People do not want to be interrogated absolutely. BUT by the same token if you are asking everyone simply HOW they heard about you it is certainly logical that at least ONE would mention the magnet signs. Ignoring data or worse yet making excuses for it based on a preconceived notion is costly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
But Danny, you are assuming that people will even think about a sign. In my use, the sign is not intended to be a primary source of advertising. If someone sees me at a show and takes a card from my branded vehicle, not a person in a hundred will say, "I saw your sign on you car" when asked HOW they heard about me. They'll say, "You were at the Presidential Inaugurationof 1961" or whatever. The sign is not be primary thing they'd remember. It's like if I stumbled across a new product at the store and someone asked me where I found it, I wouldn't say "There was a delightfully inviting end cap display in aisle 3"' but rather "I saw it at the Piggly Wiggly".

While I agree with you in principle, the cost of a sign is negligible. A single show that was even remotely influenced by a sign would pay for it many times over. Even without direct proof of results, a set of magnetic signs is something like $40. They don't take up space. They don't take any time. When you want you can remove them or put them on the vehicle. They are interchangeable with any vehicle you drive. I can't see the drawback.

As an aside, once I was at a stop sign and the people in the car behind me called my cell phone while we were both sitting at the intersection (yes, I would occasionally drive with them in place). So mine already paid for themselves.
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
Here's an older thread with some thoughts on this subject.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2014, Starrpower wrote:
But Danny, you are assuming that people will even think about a sign. In my use, the sign is not intended to be a primary source of advertising. If someone sees me at a show and takes a card from my branded vehicle, not a person in a hundred will say, "I saw your sign on you car" when asked HOW they heard about me. They'll say, "You were at the Presidential Inaugurationof 1961" or whatever. The sign is not be primary thing they'd remember. It's like if I stumbled across a new product at the store and someone asked me where I found it, I wouldn't say "There was a delightfully inviting end cap display in aisle 3"' but rather "I saw it at the Piggly Wiggly".

While I agree with you in principle, the cost of a sign is negligible. A single show that was even remotely influenced by a sign would pay for it many times over. Even without direct proof of results, a set of magnetic signs is something like $40. They don't take up space. They don't take any time. When you want you can remove them or put them on the vehicle. They are interchangeable with any vehicle you drive. I can't see the drawback.

As an aside, once I was at a stop sign and the people in the car behind me called my cell phone while we were both sitting at the intersection (yes, I would occasionally drive with them in place). So mine already paid for themselves.

Wow you are missing the point.

If you get NO FEEDBACK AT ALL it is a clear indication. Zero is a number.

I am not taking a position either way on them. The "drawback" is the complete willingness to ignore data. The ONLY industry that does such a thing!

Al Angelo mentioned it in the other thread. They look cheap in his opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Besides putting a rack of business cards onto your parked vehicle (I've seen it done, but I find it a little odd), there are other ways to get them into the hands of prospects at a show.

Whenever I'm finished the show and getting paid, I give the show customer a few business cards, and tell them they are in case other people ask about the show. I usually have a customer tell me that they've already had other parents ask them for my card.

But this is what I do before that. I put my business card rack onto the top of my show table, along with my activity postcard rack, at the end of the show. Then I take postcards from my activity postcard rack and give them out to the children, as they line up for a souvenir. Some parents in the room will help themselves to the business cards in the business card rack, without me needing to mention them.

Sometimes the kids want to take a business card (because the photo on it is different than the postcard), too, but I tell the kids that those cards are for parents. If a parent is with their child in the line, and overhears that, I've seen them reach for a business card. And I've seen kids go back to their parents and let them know that there are cards for them on my table, and then the parent comes up (or sends their child up).

Of course, my contact information is on my activity postcard and on my business card. So, double the chances of that information making it home.

Keep in mind, this is my approach for family shows and children's shows.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Well, thank God Al's opinion does not drive my business! Smile

I agree, Donald. There are other ways to get cars in their hands. But that doesn't mean give up one for another. Use many approaches and reap the rewards. What if a parent doesn't come into the show room when they pick up junior? What if other things are going on after the show that takes away their attention? What if you have to pack up and go quickly after the show?

I still have not seen a down side other than Al doesn't like it. (Done beating the horse)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Anyone use car magnets? (25 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL