The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Poor USA. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Out in the round of 16.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
IT ain't over yet, Danny. We just scored.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
"No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time. "

- Ann Coulter

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/the-an......ox-news/

LOL.

Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Proving once again that Ann Coulter is a xenophobic idiot.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Oh well. At least we had some last minute excitement.

I'm proud of the US team but now I will honor my promise to my German friend, Marcus Beldig, at the PEA convention a few days ago. Since we are out of it--

Go Germany!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Wonderful! One the best games I have ever seen. Hard luck boys.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It was a great game indeed.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2014, balducci wrote:
"No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time. "

- Ann Coulter

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/the-an......ox-news/

LOL.

Smile

Don't quit your day job to sell advertising during a soccer telecast for the four years in between World Cups.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It seems to me that the popularity of soccer in the US has gone up considerably over the last two decades. All of the schools here have soccer teams with good followings and the Seattle Sounders have LOTS of fans.

Don't know about you but I'm looking forward to watching the remaining games in the World Cup and then going back to rooting for the Sounders.

Do you ever watch LA Galaxy play?
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Superb effort by the USA, well done lads. I wish England had even half the positivity displayed by the Yanks. A performance to be proud of.

And, by the way, accept no mockery from other nations at calling it 'Soccer'. I am thoroughly English, and in old fashioned, posh circles, Soccer is perfectly acceptable, as opposed to 'Football', which might be confused for 'Rugby Football', which is its proper name. Rugby [football] is the game you are all aspiring to play, when you run about with helmets on. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
No, actually I dislike soccer, but will watch a bit during World Cup, because it's a fairly slow sports time. Ann Coulter's Xenophobia notwithstanding, I think there's a causal relationship (not the sole cause, mind you) between the rise of immigration from countries where soccer is more popular and the rise in popularity of soccer in America.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Superb effort by the USA, well done lads. I wish England had even half the positivity displayed by the Yanks. A performance to be proud of.

And, by the way, accept no mockery from other nations at calling it 'Soccer'. I am thoroughly English, and in old fashioned, posh circles, Soccer is perfectly acceptable, as opposed to 'Football', which might be confused for 'Rugby Football', which is its proper name. Rugby [football] is the game you are all aspiring to play, when you run about with helmets on. Smile

IIRC, the term "soccer" originated in England.

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Yes indeed! I went to a very smart school, where we played Soccer. Football was considered to be a term used by oiks. I did leave school prematurely, however, as I don't much like that sort of thing. But yes, it is indeed an old fashioned English name for football.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
No, actually I dislike soccer, but will watch a bit during World Cup, because it's a fairly slow sports time. Ann Coulter's Xenophobia notwithstanding, I think there's a causal relationship (not the sole cause, mind you) between the rise of immigration from countries where soccer is more popular and the rise in popularity of soccer in America.

Of course there is.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes. Immigrants have brought us a lot of good things. People often forget that.

(But I think Native Americans would disagree with me.)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Hugh Laurie is already claiming the USA's loss is punishment from god over the Hobby Lobby decision. Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Leave it to an idiot. Nice Hugh.

I think the rise in popularity is in direct proportion to immigration. Cool.

Soccer functions much the same way basketball does. No need for tons of equipment. Just a field and 20 or so or less friends and one ball between you. Soccer is a direct outcropping of poor countries needing sports outlets. Same with basketball. This is why it is worldwide popular. Where as baseball is Americas passtime, and I love it, soccer it can be argued is the worlds passtime.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Absolutely electrifying. The final 10 minutes of American resourcefulness and Belgian nervousness made for stunning play. Great stuff!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Where did golf originate? How about automobile and horse racing? And don't forget those Greeks who brought us the original Olympic sports.

Baseball is very similar to English Rounders. And if you think about it, innumerable sports brought to us by immigrants include the idea of having two goals on opposite sides of a playing area where you have to score, by putting into your goal, a ball, puck or a human head. The latter was used sometimes in lacrosse,which was being played in this country before most of us even immigrated here ourselves.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Proving once again that Ann Coulter is a xenophobic idiot.

As if that needed proving.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Poor USA. (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL