The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Please recommend a good Sponge Ball DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
I have been performing with sponge balls for 40 years and certainly know the "moves", vanishes and productions. I have however been trapped in the same old routine that is common: vanish, then pocket, then multiply in spectators hand, etc.

Could someone recommend a DVD that has some good routines on it dealing with sponge balls? As I said it isn't the basics I need so much as an example of an interesting sequence or routine.

Before you tell this old man "Don't copy someone else. Why don't you develop your own material magic is ...." I know, I know, I know

I just need a jumpstart. Don't we all?
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
VMC_Alex
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of VMC_Alex
I heard the Scott Guinn DVD has a cool sponge ball routine on it.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Thanks. Smile
You said you "heard".
Has anyone seen this Guinn video and can expand on that?
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The Scott Gunin video you are referring to is a DVD called "Great Scott! It's Magic!". I'll list the content s below, but the KILLER songe ball routine is called "Peanut, Butter & Jelly". IT is the only sponge ball routine I now use. I'd suggest ordering the DVD from Scott direct and also the props needed for this routine. He sells the routine seperate, but it's inavaluable to watch Scott perform it and then teach it.

http://www.greatscott-itsmagic.com/books.html

1. Idaho Travelers : A simple, strong version of the Vernon classic

2. A Visit to Boise : Scott’s streamlined handling of Larry Jennings’ "The Visitor"

3. Red Hot Mama’s Lips : Red Hot Mama with a charming theme and a killer kicker!

4. Peanut, Butter & Jelly : Scott’s favorite effect. Many have called this the best sponge ball routine out there!

5. Magic Western Union : Larry Jennings exclaimed that this was the best presentation for "Flying Eagles" he’d ever seen!

6. Universal Appeal : A very easy but extremely powerful "Universal Card" routine

7. What the...? : Super easy effect inspired by Marlo’s "Devilish Miracle"

8. Treasure Valley Twist : Yes, it’s a "twisting" routine--but just wait until you see it!

9. Simply Stop : Simple in method, strong in impact

10. Magic Jumprope : Kids show rope routine--lots of fun!

BONUS: Great Scott’s Ring & Rope Routine

Smile
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
You mentioned "ordering the props"
Is there a routine that uses a standard 4 ball set on this?

My favorite sponge ball routine is Dan Garrett's Martian Bunny eggs but it requires some special balls (inside out cube, gozinta boxes, tiny black sponge pellets, etc)

I will probably get "Great Scott" because I respect you guys opinion, but I need a routine for the standard 4 balls that are with me day to day.

Anybody have a recommendation there?
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Pat Page has an excellent tape on sponge ball magic. A lot of the tape does deal with "moves" and such, but there is a very nice four ball routine on the tape. He says it's the routine he's been doing for years and years; if I remember correctly, it doesn't involve the pockets. No special sponge balls. Just four regulars and the spectators hands.

The tape is now put out by L&L Publishing. It's part of the Patrick Page "Secret Sessions" series.

Ron
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I think the grea scott pb&j is one of the best sponge ball routines out there. you do need two props but they are available at most dealers, and I think scott gives you a deal if you order them from him.

I love the sponge balls and this has fine tuned my routine even more.

Another person is Kenton Knepper on his closeu up and unpublished video. He has a great multi phase version as well. I still use some of the moves from Kenton, but scott has won me over.

oliver
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17039 Posts

Profile of joseph
Troy Hooser uses a whole different approach for the sponge balls, using something you have in your magic box right now. It's a bonus routine in his dvd, and it is super, as is his coin work. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
steiner1000
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of steiner1000
This is not soley a sponge ball dvd but Eguene Burger has a great sponge ball trick on one of his magical voyages DVD - Awsome Routine. If you are looking for a more basic sponge ball video Brad Burt's sponge ball video is not bad.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Brad Burt's video is probably one the best place to go to learn strong, multiple vanishes but his routines are fairly similar to the standard routines.

As much as I absolutely love and highly recommend Eugene Burger's previous work in Gourmet Close Up Magic and Real Secrets of Close Up Magic, I do not recommend his Magical Voyages Part 1 DVD. I just received it, and am very disappointed with it. His sponge ball routine is very similar to those out there, except for adding a squeeker. His patter downplays the surprise of the revelation and the routine is based on "how many are in my/your hand" like many of the existing routines. Maybe he was having bad day, but it can't compare with his brilliant previous work.

I highly recommend the sponge ball routine in Kenton Knepper's Klose Up and Unpublished. It has many elements, it's fast paced, keeps the spectator off balance, and it's fun. Because of his routine. The production of the tape itself is not superior, but his spasmatic spongeball routine is brilliant. I can't recommend this enough.

Steve Dacri's "The Master Routines" is based on a standard routine, but his nuances make his routine the strongest I've seen. It includes use of the purseframe, vanishes, hand counts, and the ten count.
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
279 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
25 tricks with spongeballs is an awesome dvd for spongeballs.... its also very cheap...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-01-21 19:31, trickster2000 wrote:
25 tricks with spongeballs is an awesome dvd for spongeballs.... its also very cheap...

Ditto here. This video ( now on DVD ) is very good and teaches most moves you'll ever use.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Paul Hughes
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of Paul Hughes
I'd second the Pat Page video - I got it years ago from Vic Pinto's Trick-a-Tape. Pat is the British equivalent of Dai Vernon. You can't go wrong with Pat.

- Paulie.
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
Duane Laflin has a couple of short videos with really nice colorful routines. He also sells the balls very cheaply in all sizes an in very bright colors (pink, blue, orange, red yellow, blue). I'm not sure what his website is however.
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Go to Cody Fisher's wbsite and buy the Sponge Stars routine. Much more sensible and practical. Plus they don't roll.
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I much prefer sponges that actually look like something. Go for the Goshman 3d sponge bunnies! Best ones out there... great possibilities for routines.. I'll send you my sponge bunny routine if you like.
magicbouy
View Profile
New user
Ireland
52 Posts

Profile of magicbouy
Sankey's earplugs dvd is excellent also.
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
Roberto Giobbi's Sponge Ball and Bowl Routine in "7th British Close-Up Magic Symposium"
NYKnicks5
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of NYKnicks5
Can someone give me a review on Sankey's Earplugs. I have not heard much on this subject.
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of academy
I heard many positive comments about Scott Guinn's "PB&J" but I've never read a description of the effect. Can anyone tell me what are the highlights of this routine?

Thanks
Academy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Please recommend a good Sponge Ball DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL