The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » MyFitnessPal.com Very Useful Website For Helping To Lose Weight (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
One of things I want to accomplish is to be the best I can be as a magician. So that means taking care of myself and trying to get some exercise in each week. I am not a physical fitness nut, but I think some physical activity is important as well as watching what you eat and how much you eat will help to work towards my goal of being a better magician. So, my doctor recommended to me this website which is free of charge to use, myfitnesspal.com . It has pretty much every kind of food or drink you could possibly buy and it shows how many calories you can take in each day and still lose like 1 pound a week (which is what I have my settings at). So, what I have started doing is each day, plan out what I am going to eat for snacks, breakfast, lunch and dinner before the start of the day and keep watch over how many calories I take in. On certain days, I throw in some exercise to burn off some calories as well.

My doctor explained that while trying to lose weight, a tool like myfitnesspal is essential because it gives you a goal (lose one pound a week and a certain weight you want to work towards) to work towards and how many calories you can take in each day to accomplish that goal. He said most people just try to lose weight by "shooting in the wind" without having goals or having any idea really how many calories they are taking in and how many calories they can take in and still be able to lose weight. The cool thing is that I don't feel like I am having to starve myself or turn myself into a physical fitness nut in order to lose weight. I have been taking in less calories though but I feel full after eating. You can pretty much eat what you want so long as you don't go over the calories you can take in each day in order to lose weight. So, the website gets really specific too and takes into account your current height and weight and what goal weight you want to reach. I have to say, my doctor made a pretty good recommendation. This is the website he recommended: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ . He's a VA doctor and I have to say, so far he has proven to be one of my best doctors. He is one of the few out there that really want to help people.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks for posting this William, I just signed up!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 4, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
Thanks for posting this William, I just signed up!

They got every food and every brand of food you could possibly think of along with the serving sizes and calories of each serving size. You can use it as a food diary for the calories you take in or you can plan out what you intend to eat throughout the day while keeping your calorie count at or just below your target number of calories that will enable you to lose a certain amount of weight each week. One of my favorite snacks that I add to my chart is Price Chopper roasted, salted almonds (bought them when I was in Vermont attending my mother in law's funeral). A healthy tasty snack. Now that I am back in the South, I am going to have to go with the Kroger brand of salted almonds, which is no different than Price Chopper's. Just a different brand name.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
A lot of people seem to be using this site- my sister recommended it to me. I agree, William, the key is it give you awareness of where you're at with the foods you're eating. Very helpful. And keeping track is motivational for the excercise portion, too, I find.

Keep in mind your sleeping habits and stress levels, too. Both can contribute to weight gain. I was taking care of my 88 (now 89 Smile ) year old blind father last year following his slight stroke in June. Walking back and forth to the hospital twice a day to help him with his meals 7 days a week and somehow I gained weight instead of losing it. He was released from hospital at the end of September and came to my sister's and my apartment where I was his primary caregiver for 6 months and same thing again. His issues were too much eventually for me to continue without collapse, and so he's since moved to a nursing home. Now I can sleep and have less stress and am getting myself back into better condition, overall.
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
I love this site! I also use the FitBit. It has changed the entire way I eat and look at food.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, AllAboutMagic wrote:
I love this site! I also use the FitBit. It has changed the entire way I eat and look at food.

It's a good site. Been helping me lose weight. Doctor made a great recommendation.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, magicalaurie wrote:
A lot of people seem to be using this site- my sister recommended it to me. I agree, William, the key is it give you awareness of where you're at with the foods you're eating. Very helpful. And keeping track is motivational for the excercise portion, too, I find.

Keep in mind your sleeping habits and stress levels, too. Both can contribute to weight gain. I was taking care of my 88 (now 89 Smile ) year old blind father last year following his slight stroke in June. Walking back and forth to the hospital twice a day to help him with his meals 7 days a week and somehow I gained weight instead of losing it. He was released from hospital at the end of September and came to my sister's and my apartment where I was his primary caregiver for 6 months and same thing again. His issues were too much eventually for me to continue without collapse, and so he's since moved to a nursing home. Now I can sleep and have less stress and am getting myself back into better condition, overall.

Sorry to hear about your father having to go to the nursing home. Glad to hear you are getting yourself back into better condition.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, magicalaurie wrote:

My wife and I cared for my 88-year old mother before we had to put her in a nursing home, and I share your pain with that. It hurts. But the stress is unbelievable and became unbearable. She was in the nursing home for ten days and passed. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life.

Glad you're relieved of that stress. Sorry to digress here.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

You're a cool dude Bob. It is pretty tough to have to put somebody you love in a nursing home. Sometimes doing the right thing is the hard thing to do.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks William, not cool, just human; I still struggle with that decision. But it had to be.

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1165 Posts

Profile of imgic
Great site...thanks for sharing. A few years back I had a few too many pounds and kept a paper food journal. What a difference it makes when you track your food...knowing you've got to write it down, really makes you think twice about eating it. Also, it really helped me with goals...knowing I had to stay under 2000 calories made it like a game...what can I eat to satisfy me but still keep under the number. It helped drop the pounds. Unfortunately I got lazy again and need to do something again, and this looks like it'll help.

Sleep is another HUGE thing. I used to regularly go on 4-5 hours sleep a night, aided by tremendous amounts of coffee. Between work, part time teaching, National Guard, and going to school (oh yeah, and that family that wanted to spend some time with me...), I skimped on my sleep. Doctor slapped my upside the head and told me to knock it off. I cut way back on coffee...about 2 cups before noon. And try for minimum of 7 hours a night. Your body regulates metabolism better. You also avoid those bad food choices when you're tired. It really helps.

AAM...how do you like the FitBit? I see lots of folks wearing them, but haven't looked into them. Do they really work? Help?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, imgic wrote:
Great site...thanks for sharing. A few years back I had a few too many pounds and kept a paper food journal. What a difference it makes when you track your food...knowing you've got to write it down, really makes you think twice about eating it. Also, it really helped me with goals...knowing I had to stay under 2000 calories made it like a game...what can I eat to satisfy me but still keep under the number. It helped drop the pounds. Unfortunately I got lazy again and need to do something again, and this looks like it'll help.

My calorie goal to lose one pound a week is 2,240 calories daily. One day I went over my calorie count and another day came close to it but all the other days I was below my calorie count. It's easy to get lazy too though. To me, it's a challenge. Can I stay disciplined enough not to get lazy? Not only that, what I really like is after completing an entry, it says "Congratulations, if you continue you like this, you will weight this weight in 5 weeks!" So, completing an entry and seeing that keeps you focused on your goal and motivated not to get slack. Because you can start to see your goal coming in reach and you don't want to give up. But once and awhile, you might feel the urge to get slack. I think if you stay disciplined enough to record your entry every day it helps stop the urge to get lazy or slack off. I think focus and discipline is important and this website really helps with focus and reminding you how close you are getting to your goal.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I've stayed focus on using this website. A very valuable tool. After using it awhile, you have to do less work because the foods you normally eat that you have already typed up, you can simply just check them when you eat them again on the website rather than have to type them up exactly as the brand and specific food you are eating. Got me back to exercising again too! The website shows how many calories you have earned to eat by the amount of calories your specific exercise has burned. So, I am slowly and gradually losing weight the healthy way and it's great in that, when you complete an entry it says "if every day was like today you would weigh..." so it really keeps you focused on your goal which helps you stay disciplined in your eating and exercise habits. I can feel the weight slowly and gradually coming off and beginning to feel much healthier. I can't speak highly enough of this website and what really makes it cool, it's free of charge. You don't have to pay a dime to use it.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I met and exceeded my goal of losing one pound a week for 5 weeks. Lost 7 pounds, which means I exceeded my goal by two pounds. The exercise I have been throwing into the mix has been keeping me under my calorie count a little more than what I otherwise would. I wish somebody would have pointed me to this website sooner. It definately helps in working smarter rather than harder when it comes to losing weight. In the past if felt like I had to be this physical fitness nut or only eat vegetables and skinless boneless baked chicken or only extremely healthy foods. But you can pretty much eat what you want so long as you stay under your calorie count (or equal to it). That being said, I still like to eat my vegetables and baked chicken, but it sure is nice to know I can also enjoy other foods too and still lose weight, so long as I understand the amount of calories I can take in and still be able to lose weight. Sticking with this website also gets you excited about physical fitness and wanting to work out too. But it's part of my program to be the best magician and best person that I can be.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I've been having a little trouble logging my exercise the last few days- "Wild Goose Chase" isn't listed. Smile
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I've lost about 11 pounds since I started using the website. Calorie counting and exercise works. The main issue I had in the past was that I had no idea how many calories I could take in, how many calories I was burning through exercise and how calories I was actually taking in order to lose or maintain weight. It felt like I had to give up foods I really enjoyed in order to lose weight or do a lot of exercise just to eat "normally" but that's not the case. You just have to know how many you can take in and still lose weight and how much you are taking in and burning off through exercise. The kinds of calories you take in is also important such as you are better off taking in calories from eating steamed vegetables or calories from fish oil for example. I never felt like I had to starve myself or give up the foods I really enjoy to lose the 11 pounds I have lost so far. The exercise I do is walking. I will walk about 3 or 4 miles. I used to run 3-5 miles when I was younger, but running can put a serious pounding on your joints and back. I can keep running if I want to, but I don't want to destroy my joints or back either, especially since I am getting a little older. I think bike riding and walking is better exercise.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Just saw this thread - I have this as an app on my phone and can just scan the bar code on prepared foods - biscuits, soups etc to bring up the calories - it really is a help - must admit I don't use it religiously but I've been taking off weight for 7 0r 8 weeks now and whenever I feel my discipline slipping, I go back to calorie counting.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I've lost about 19 pounds. I hadn't had any trouble staying focused or disciplined with logging in all my foods and exercise. I wish this was shown to me earlier. Would have been nice. My VA doctor showed it to me. I have always struggled a little bit with my weight and in the past, I did a great deal of running. Even got to the point where I could run a 5k in about 17:52 which is a great time, but this was when I was much younger and only after an incredible amount of hard cross country athletic training weekly (and back then I struggled with my weight). I'll probably never see a time like that ever again. I feel great after losing 19 pounds and never felt I had to starve myself and I still enjoy the foods I have always enjoyed. But, I keep watch over the calories I take in and also plan ahead some of my meals and exercise. So, my weight loss is been healthy. I feel more confident too. Gee, I sound like one of those guys off a weight loss commercial.

But even though I was in some incredible running shape in the past, I never knew how to calorie count or how many calories I was taking in. I just did an incredible amount of training and burned an incredible amount of calories at the time. So once I stopped being a super athlete and then when I started taking the meds for PTSD (the side effects of the meds I am on is weight gain but it is one of the better meds with the least amount of side effects, so my VA doctor has done good), I put on weight. So, now that I am older and my body has adjusted to the PTSD meds (it doesn't cause the weight gain it initially caused now that my body is used to them), it's nice to have something like this to help me not "just shoot in the wind" and know exactly how many calories I am taking in and how many I am able to take in each day in order to still be able to lose weight. I also log in my exercise too which shows exactly how many calories I burned (which I do a lot of walking these days rather than running because running is more harder on your joints, I could run, but I also want to preserve my joints, I don't want to destroy them by running, so I burn my calories by walking a brisk pace).

People like me who weren't lucky enough to win the genetic lottery when we were born have to calorie count and exercise in order to keep our weight reasonable. And for those who were lucky enough to win the genetic lottery when they were born, well, they can just eat all they want and never gain a pound and never have to struggle with their weight or calorie count or exercise and can just chow down and still look great because they won the genetic lottery. But for all else who were not lucky enough to win the genetic lottery and don't want to have to be super athletes to the age 70, we got to calorie count and exercise on some level to keep our weight at a reasonable pound. The ones that won the genetic lottery and can just chow down and stay skinny without working out or eating healthy will be the same ones to fat shame and tell you need to go work out and eat right while sitting on their rear end drinking a milk shake and eating double cheesburger with extra large fries. They have no concept of what it's like to struggle with their weight, well, because they were lucky enough to win the genetic lottery but they will be the first to lecture you while not taking their own advice. That's just the way the world is. Not fair or just is it? But just the way it is.

Aside from that, I owe a lot of thanks to my VA doctor. He has done a superb job. I would rate him better than most private sector doctors and I think he genuinely cares about his patients at the VA. A good man. I don't think he is entirely motivated by money and he is a great doctor. I think he genuinely wants to help his patients.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Genetic Lottery?

I prefer to believe all those skinny people who can eat what they like are drug addicts.

It may not be true but it stops me yelling abuse at them.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 14, 2014, Destiny wrote:
Genetic Lottery?

I prefer to believe all those skinny people who can eat what they like are drug addicts.

It may not be true but it stops me yelling abuse at them.

Well they darn sure don't mind yelling abuse at us for our weight struggles so I would feel free to hurl abuse right back at em if I was you.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » MyFitnessPal.com Very Useful Website For Helping To Lose Weight (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL