The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A NY Times Dialect Quiz (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
Take this quiz and see how close it gets to coming up with your hometown. It's only for US cities.
It was spot on for me.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/......008&_r=0
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It got mine exactly right. Paterson, Newark, New Jersey area.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
New York City was accurate here.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9644 Posts

Profile of funsway
It gave Reno, Salt Lake City, and Stockton, Ca as possibles.

I was raised in the first and lived in both of the others in later years.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I've; seen this before and it is pretty accurate. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes- it is very accurate. Pretty good for some ivory tower academics from Harvard who devised the test. Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
It got mine exactly right. Paterson, Newark, New Jersey area.

Same for me.

Except for the word "right".
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
What's interesting is that it doesn't ask the same set of questions each time--it branches depending on your previous answers.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
177 Posts

Profile of R.S.
I'd say accurate for me (Providence/Springfield/Boston vicinity).

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2836 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It gave me "New England" but not the specific area.

Probably my fault as one of the questions was; "What do you call a long sandwich?"

I personally have always called them "heros" which is how I answered, but I know in Rhode Island, they're called "grinders" for some reason. (What we would consider a "milk shake" is called a "cabinet" here.)
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
I think if you live in a major metropolitan area it's going to come up with that city, Chicago, NY or in my case Detroit. Rather then the exact suburb.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Took the quiz from western Canada--due north of Montana. Interestingly it showed me as most similar to northern New York stat, and most dissimilar to the western half of the USA. I wonder if I'm seeing the effect of strong national Canadian media, which happens to be centralized in southern Ontario.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I took it too although I live in Canada. I thought perhaps Seattle would come up as I'm only a few hours away. Most Americans ask me if I have a British Background for some reason when they hear me speak. Anyhow, my three cities came up with Omaha, Des Moines and Detroit. Apparently people in that area use the word "pop" for soft drinks as Canadians do.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Worked for me with Providence/Worcester/Boston vicinity. I lived in Rhode Island more than half my adult life (so far). I think the word "bubbler" was my give away.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2014, Chrystal wrote:
I took it too although I live in Canada. I thought perhaps Seattle would come up as I'm only a few hours away. Most Americans ask me if I have a British Background for some reason when they hear me speak. Anyhow, my three cities came up with Omaha, Des Moines and Detroit. Apparently people in that area use the word "pop" for soft drinks as Canadians do.
Yes, we say pop in the Detroit area.
– Karl Germain
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
New York CIty, and they nailed it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'm taking the quiz for fun. I have to LOL at some of the questions.

Smile

What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?

- sunshower
- the wolf is giving birth
- the devil is beating his wife
- monkey's wedding
- fox's wedding
- pineapple rain
- liquid sun

I normally would say sunshower, but I might start using the wolf or devil expressions in conversation if I can only remember them.

Smile

I grew up in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, it shows my dialect as being closest to those in Lincoln, Rockford, and Grand Rapids.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1762 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I moved too much in my life. I'm a dialect mutt. My test didn't really come close.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2836 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
Worked for me with Providence/Worcester/Boston vicinity. I lived in Rhode Island more than half my adult life (so far). I think the word "bubbler" was my give away.

Yeah, I answered "water fountain" because that's what I've always called them.

It doesn't help that, as a navy brat, I moved from RI very young and spent time in VA and CA before moving back to RI in '67 and moving back again in '84. I never got into the vernaculars.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
For me, that site came up with a region from Boston to Maine, but the center of the region was in Southern New Hampshire, and the color was darkest there. That is where I live. I'm impressed.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A NY Times Dialect Quiz (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL