The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The worst Videos/Dvd's you have seen.... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18 [Next]
sourcerer
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
175 Posts

Profile of sourcerer
Sweet by Chris Randall, hands down the most predictable, unsurprising and unoriginal magic I ever witnessed.

Kaj
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-02-04 14:47, sourcerer wrote:
Sweet by Chris Randall, hands down the most predictable, unsurprising and unoriginal magic I ever witnessed.

Kaj

I thought Chris's McDonald's Aces handling was excellent.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1234 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2008-02-04 14:47, sourcerer wrote:

Kaj

From all these negative reviews, I'm actually intrested ..

I'll look in ebay.

~ Feras
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Esoteric from gerrard bakner, very good if you're insomnia...
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
426 Posts

Profile of daver
As a general statement, I like Jay Sankey a lot. He has a lot of variety in what he teaches, and there's a good amount accessible by non-sleight-experts without discouraging them. He has a nice philophical approach to a lot of things too.

But.. And here's the big but...

His humor has GOT to be toned down. Case in point is Rev. Coin Magic (1st ed). He is so over the frigging top, you almost can't figure out what he's trying to say or teach! Plus, I can't let my daughter watch it (because of the language in it)with me for her to learn. I like a lot of his humor - he's off the wall.

But, I've NOT bought a lot of his other stuff just because of what I saw on this one DVD. I wanted to, but he just obscured valid things with just way too much strangeness and language which only detracted from it.

(Contrast that with his book, "Beyond Secrets" which I really liked, as I did with a lecture at which I saw him...)
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jay is a creative genius and is a very funny guy ( get his Jay Sankey LIVE DVD and you'll see both attributes in action). And he used to do stand up comedy. Even the great ones have shwos that don't work. But, they get instant feedback. On a DVD with just Jay and the camera, he doesn't know if he's "on".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
426 Posts

Profile of daver
I agree. I love Jay in general. But I was really disappointed in Rev Coin Magic 1 just because of him being so over the top in it....
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
366 Posts

Profile of kamus
The material was worth the occasional cringe for me.
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
I LOVED rev. coin magic. Loved it. As far as I'm concerned it was one of Sankeys best releases.

The language? Over the top? Come on. Not everything is made with children in mind. (Well..It didn't use to be..Before the E-kid generation). And Sankey has always been over the top. If your sensitive and don't like bad language I'll warn those people away from this right now (And remind you that The golden girls re-runs start at 6:00pm). But if you want to learn some great coin stuff and Don't care about the language or care about Jay acting like an idiot. Pick it up.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1570 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
Hundy 500 is the best DVD I've ever purchased. I watch it over and over again .. picking up ideas from Greg's years of experience.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
426 Posts

Profile of daver
I never took issue with the material. My knock on Jay's DVD was:

1) He is so over the top, I had trouble figuring out just WHAT it was he was trying to communicate

2) I would like to use the same material I use to be usable by my kid who has taken an interest in magic, but not have to worry that she is going to experience that language. In some situations, harsh language is appropriate to make, prove or emphasize a point. Not in teaching coin magic. There was no reason for it, and limits the usefulness of the release, IMHO.

There's nothing that can come out of one's mouth I've not heard, but on a magic video designed to teach? Why? Guess he should have opened the presentation with The Aristocrats?

The language on a magic video - Just like ketchup and ice cream. Both useful, but they don't belong together.
Dave

michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
On 2008-02-05 12:23, Timj32 wrote:
I LOVED rev. coin magic. Loved it. As far as I'm concerned it was one of Sankeys best releases.

The language? Over the top? Come on. Not everything is made with children in mind. (Well..It didn't use to be..Before the E-kid generation). And Sankey has always been over the top. If your sensitive and don't like bad language I'll warn those people away from this right now (And remind you that The golden girls re-runs start at 6:00pm). But if you want to learn some great coin stuff and Don't care about the language or care about Jay acting like an idiot. Pick it up.

Tim

I also loved it, but agree with others that his humour was a bit tiring.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Xemm
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Xemm
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 02:07, organicmagician wrote:
Max Maven - Nothing.

Without a doubt.

I am not entirely agree with you, the any page number in magazines trick is being used by myself for many times and it kills. Basically I enjoyed the performance as well. Nothing worth stacked as one of my collections, of course this is my opinion.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
426 Posts

Profile of daver
Re: Hundy 500 - I have a number of Greg Wilson's DVDs and each and every one is excellent. Well produced, great material, well explained and taught. And the eye candy doesn't hurt either ;-)
Dave

Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
For what it is worth - we might want to give the golden rasberry price to the worst DVD of the year . . .
Cards never lie
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Sleight of hand, sankey
Mr. X
View Profile
Elite user
U.K.
438 Posts

Profile of Mr. X
Worst DVD I have seen recently has to be The Christian Chelman Lecture for International Magic.
I actually believe this man is quite deluded. The Blitz move, give over.

The worst ever was some Sankey business where he started by saying he no longer performs signed card effects. Well you can guess what type of effect he then went on to explain.

His chalk to my cheese.
So much to do. So little time.
mcvicarthetrickster
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis, MO
115 Posts

Profile of mcvicarthetrickster
Card in what DVD was horrible
mcvicarthetrickster
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis, MO
115 Posts

Profile of mcvicarthetrickster
And I wasn't impressed with "Stand and Deliever"
Josh
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2008-03-18 04:07, Andy the cardician wrote:
For what it is worth - we might want to give the golden rasberry price to the worst DVD of the year . . .

How about we call it the "Rusty Wand" award?
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The worst Videos/Dvd's you have seen.... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL