The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The worst Videos/Dvd's you have seen.... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18 [Next]
Victor Marnier
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Victor Marnier
Quote:
On 2008-03-18 22:33, Mr. X wrote:
Worst DVD I have seen recently has to be The Christian Chelman Lecture for International Magic.
I actually believe this man is quite deluded. The Blitz move, give over.

The worst ever was some Sankey business where he started by saying he no longer performs signed card effects. Well you can guess what type of effect he then went on to explain.

His chalk to my cheese.

I am actually a happy owner of this dvd after no one less than Lennart Green recommended it to me. Mr. X, your comment on Mr. Chelman are unnecessary, unwelcome, and disrespectful. If you have a problem with him, at least have the tact to reveal who you are and solve it outside of the forum.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-01-23 06:14, Maestro wrote:
I was really dissapointed with one of the Harry Lorayne Must Be the Best Teacher of Close Up Magic videos. I got it for ten dollars at a small magic shop, but when I got home I struggled to get through the performance section awake Smile.

I known this is 4 years ago, but I'm baffled. Harry is one the most talented performers I've ever seen. His acting, audience management, his deck management ( Harry sets up for a trick 4 tricks in advance from he one he's doing, right under their noses ), he's simply an amazing performer.

He fools me everytime and I've seen the videos/DVD's dozens of times!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of booswain
Sometimes a dvd has great info but is poorly put together. For example Center Tear Teach in by Lee Earle. Nice technique for the center tear but rambling, confusing and terribly filmed obviously a dupe from a vhs. The production isn't everything but when you spend 40 bucks for a 40 minutes dvd it should have some production value.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
1. As mentioned before “loops” was a disappointment.

2. Tom Mullica's Expert Impromptu Magic - Made Easy!

I tried watching various parts of this and I stopped every time
he blew water, food, or other stuff out of his mouth. Just not
something I will ever do.

3. You Asked For It: Rare TV Magic Acts 4-DVD set

Maybe this gets better but so far the video quality is much
worst than I was expecting. For history buffs maybe it’s O.K. but
it’s also a bit too dated and corny. It will take some time to get
through all the disk to see if there is anything of value.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2008-02-01 20:42, Acecardician wrote:
I did not like the Michael Close tapes. I had them on VHS. Already sold them
His presentation are too long and drawn out. I was watching them. And I was picking on him, and my daughter said, why did you bother to get them? Good question.
I thought he might have good stuff. But he uses a table for almost every effect.
His stuff is probably good to show other magicians. But I did not like the way he did invisible, and tells his audience to ask the next magician if they can examine the deck. And his method is hokey. Could not be repeated, too many moves. The original invisible deck is so clean, you just can't replace it.
Like I said, I think he invented this just to try to fool other magicians, but I saw the fake looking move on the tape. I never finished watching all of them, too boring. Just my opinion, his stuff just does not fit into my performance style.

ACE

Mike Closes works is excellent, as is his thinking. If a person thinks they are going to buy the tapes/dvds and do HIS routines, just like they are, they will fail. However, there is a wealth of knowlege, not just in the effects, but in the routining and thinking behind the magic. I feel sorry for you that you sold them.

Oh, and I vote for Sweet also.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 00:16, Acecardician wrote:
No, never. Maybe I should take the time. There is so much else on my plate.

This is something I would rather skip. The atmosphere I work in is usually noisy and dark, so by the time I do several knock out effects, it's time to move on.
It seems like this is more of a story telling effect. My audiences senses are bombarded at the events they have here in the party city. So I have to get to the point quick. No borrowing of objects, signing things, all delay, and you will loose them to the atmosphere we provide(bands, clowns, jugglers, stiltwalkers, mimes, alcohol, food, business dealings, gambling, sex. etc., all at the same time.
Pot hole might be good to perform for the guys at the magic club.
But I like the invisible deck and the insurance policy, and my spectators think I am a god. Of course I have lots of other material, and an arsenal of sleights.
And the audience management of a group sitting around a table might be easy, I'd go one on one with Mike in my atmosphere. The "trenches" of real folks. As I said before I did not like the way he cuts down other magicians Invisible Decks, it borders on exposing. This is good for lectures for magicians or a group sitting there with nowhere to go. But when I got this back in 1998, my daughter was about 16 years old, and she said "why do you waist your money getting these tapes, when you already know or do all this stuff?" Been there, done that.
Like I said, just not my style, and I got bored watching them. Just my opinion.

ACE

OK, first off, when discussing the Invisible Deck, a standard effect it is not exposure. Secondly, Michael didn't work for magicians, he worked in restaurants with real life people. I would call anyone who has made a career of restaurant environment "in the trenches." I have seen Close work in real life, he is good, and his material is good. It isn't just some tricks that a guy is doing, it is entertainment.

Scott.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1110 Posts

Profile of EventEntertainer
FOr me the Jeff Sheridan Street Magic DVDs. I had high hopes and expectations and was utterly let down.
Paul Budd
View Profile
Veteran user
It's a shame he's only made
368 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Quote:
On 2004-01-20 16:42, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

2) Expert magic: Floating Card DVD- HORRIBLE!

I'm not so certain I agree with that. It's a nice beginner video for floating card.

Paul B.
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
He fools me everytime and I've seen the videos/DVD's dozens of times!

Chris, I realize you are a fan of HL. But, I find the above quote to be juuuuuust a bit over the top. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-02-05 12:23, Tim Jahn wrote:
I LOVED rev. coin magic. Loved it. As far as I'm concerned it was one of Sankeys best releases.

The language? Over the top? Come on. Not everything is made with children in mind. (Well..It didn't use to be..Before the E-kid generation). And Sankey has always been over the top. If your sensitive and don't like bad language I'll warn those people away from this right now (And remind you that The golden girls re-runs start at 6:00pm). But if you want to learn some great coin stuff and Don't care about the language or care about Jay acting like an idiot. Pick it up.

Tim

You're going to think I'm kidding, but this is true: I've seen things on Golden Girls that were more offensive than what I've seen on Rev Coin 1 by Sankey... By the way, if you get the DVD, he has done some minor editing on it.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2245 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
My vote goes for Melt and Matrix 2003 back in the day when Expertmagic was popular!

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Mentally Hyp...Mos tof the effects in there under mentalism 101 can be found in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic or any other book from Barnes and Noble. And as far as the hypnosis part well that can be found on the pick up artist or in old books for trainers.
Abiloko
View Profile
New user
Barcelona (Spain)
55 Posts

Profile of Abiloko
Quote:
On 2008-03-18 22:33, Mr. X wrote:
Worst DVD I have seen recently has to be The Christian Chelman Lecture for International Magic.
I actually believe this man is quite deluded. The Blitz move, give over.

Sorry but I disagree with your opinion, this dvd is one live lecture to magicians, is not a recorded and produced session. In this tape, there are only a few explanations and the application of the blitz move is very short and don't show all the concept of Mr. Chelman about his card magic. And more, his bizarre side don't appears in the recording. Please, a few of respect.

Best wishes.
Best is yet to come ¡¡¡
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
518 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
John Fedkos Hard boiled eggbag "the ultimate egg bag" DVD comes with a piece of cloth they sewed together to make and egg bag. THe man should be embaressed to show his face after putting his name on such garbage. THey tell me hes a Chavez grad. Well that's gone down a looon gway hasn't it.
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
674 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Mindbender card bend, revolution coin vanish, frozen.....
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-05-19 02:13, BMWGuy wrote:
My vote goes for Melt and Matrix 2003 back in the day when Expertmagic was popular!

Alex

That's my pick also.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
297 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
My vote has to be for the Iron Palm Dvd.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
papercrane
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of papercrane
Ammar's ETMCM series is the worst
papercrane
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of papercrane
Obviously joking
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
Quote:
On 2009-02-02 04:30, Miraclemakers wrote:
Mindbender card bend, revolution coin vanish, frozen.....

I love Revolution Coin Vanish! That vanish really does work and it kills. I make a point of taking off my watch and rolling up my sleeves and then I go into the vanish. Normally I have already placed a dup coin in my shoe or in their coat pocket so that when they ask were it went I can reveal it in some odd location. When I go into the vanish I normally misdirect them by saying something like "Notice that the coin is heads up on my hand, now watch this." and I go into the vanish. They never see what happened and I end with clean hands.

The King Rising video on the other hand is a huge waste for me. Mostly because I don't wear the clothing necessary for that effect.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The worst Videos/Dvd's you have seen.... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL