The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The worst Videos/Dvd's you have seen.... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16~17~18 [Next]
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Although I've known Kevin James for years and have trememdous respect for him as a performer and love most of his products, I'd have to say my choice for the worst video is Suspended Dimension. I can see that the CONCEPT seemed good. A topit without a coat would be a valuable thing. But, what Sylvester came up with just plain doesn't work. Almost every time he vanished something on the DVD it was exposed. There was a BIG and very noticable bludge in his shirt. And, this requires wearing a pair of suspenders ala Larry King. Not the kind of "fashion statement" that appeals to most magicians... at least in my opinion.
Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think Kevin pulled a fast one here. The product wasn't developed and they released it anyway.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10690 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Just to clarify my post above, I didn't mean to say Doug Brewer's get bent dvd is the worst dvd I've seen.

I didn't read the description and bought it sight unseen because I love Dough Brewer's work. I was just surprised that nothing on the dvd contained his other very strong and powerful material. It is a great dvd if you want to learn the card fold and some excellent revelations.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-01-23 15:37, vinsmagic wrote:
Just to clarify my post above, I didn't mean to say Doug Brewer's get bent dvd is the worst dvd I've seen.

I didn't read the description and bought it sight unseen because I love Dough Brewer's work. I was just surprised that nothing on the dvd contained his other very strong and powerful material. It is a great dvd if you want to learn the card fold and some excellent revelations.


I have Doug's lecture note video and love it. So, I've just bought the Get Bent DVD. Haven't received it yet.

Vinney, I really respect your posts, so I'd like to know what was it about Get Bent that you didn't think lived up to it's description. also, how did you like his coin routine he does at the end?

Thanks!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10690 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Chris in answer to your question about Get bent.
As I stated there were six or seven effects using the mercury fold, and the routines were very good /There is nothing bad about DB's dvd .I know Doug and his work, I was just dissapointed more of his powerful material wan't on the dvd, It was my fa;ut for not doing the research I bought this dvd because I really enjoy Dougs material because his stuff is workable in the real world .
I only ment to give a honest review how I felt this was not intended to bash Dougs dvd,
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1110 Posts

Profile of EventEntertainer
Rose Magic by Monty -

Apparently he didn't bother practicing in front of a mirror, or review what he caught on camera. He flashed, had bad angels, and most info was useless (to me).
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thanks Vinnie for clarrifying that.
____________________________________

David, I don't like anything
Monty has ever done.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
941 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Quote:
On 2004-01-21 14:04, maurile wrote:
Honest negative reviews of bad products help steer others away from them and toward better products instead. "Bad" versus "better" is subjective, but other people's opinions are relevant.


I think one could argue that the word "subjective" should replace the word honest here. These are not (with a few exceptions) reviews, as you say.

All I glean from this thread is that the "Sweet Video Sucks," and little more. That is not a review. That's an unqualified aspersion.

See, I know for a fact that there are many in a forum a large as this, that would put anything that requires a top palm in the "sucks" category--mainly because the trick does not:

A) make them look eerie and brooding like David Blaine

B) Get them laid.

I'm trying to imagine a classical music billboard, in which the members are polled: "what is the worst composition you have ever played?"

Yitzhak Pearlman: "Pagannini's 24th caprice. An exercise in arpeggiated narcisissim."

Andre Segovia: "Tocatta and Fuge in D minor. Not geared for the guitar, and therefore not enjoyable by the masses."

Yo Yo Ma: Anybody have an e-book of "flight of the bumblebee? I'll trade two photocopied Mozart pieces for it. PM Me."
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-01-27 12:20, Ron Giesecke wrote:

See, I know for a fact that there are many in a forum a large as this, that would put anything that requires a top palm in the "sucks" category--mainly because the trick does not:

A) make them look eerie and brooding like David Blaine

B) Get them laid.



Well, that or the tricks are just really bad. Smile
partyboy
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal, Québec
142 Posts

Profile of partyboy
I know people will probably want to kill me for this but please just leave it there, the worst DVD I bought is Cradle To Grave by De'Vo. Yes I know a lot of people love this DVD and in fact I don't know if I heard bad eviews about it (there is a couple in the CTg reviews here I think). Well people who love it are probably interested in flourishes...I was interested and wanted to know what flourishes were all about (that means more then the moves themselves) and well there's a whole story with that with De'Vo and me and it's the worst buy for me because I spent $50 on something that I will never use in my entire life.
"communicate your humanity, 'cause that's what we all are after all : human!"
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
279 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
Quote:
On 2004-01-27 12:37, partyboy wrote:
I know people will probably want to kill me for this but please just leave it there, the worst DVD I bought is Cradle To Grave by De'Vo. Yes I know a lot of people love this DVD and in fact I don't know if I heard bad eviews about it (there is a couple in the CTg reviews here I think). Well people who love it are probably interested in flourishes...I was interested and wanted to know what flourishes were all about (that means more then the moves themselves) and well there's a whole story with that with De'Vo and me and it's the worst buy for me because I spent $50 on something that I will never use in my entire life.

Were you forced to buy this video?? I think its your own fault for buying it, because this dvd's delivered what it promised in the ads.... mabee you should do some research first before you drop another 50 bucks on something that you don't know much about... there are so many places for you to read about flourishes, and theres a ton of websites that have videos of people doing flourishes that you can watch for free....
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
I have to agree with partyboy that the video was bad. Not the worst I've seen, I'll get to that in a bit. Of course, it delivered what it promised: The Birdie Fan, The smooth Opener, The Heaven Display and the Cradle to Grave Cut Sequence. However, since the Heaven display and the Cradle to Grave sequence were explicitly kept out of the advertising video, they were bought sight unseen. The Cradle to Grave cut was cool but the rest of it felt like filler. The Heaven Display, while interesting, was just a variation on the Birdie Fan which was kind of a cool stunt but still just filler. I must be spoiled by the McBride videos where you see lots of stunts like this explained. Not just a few things with variations. Also, those great effects everybody is raving about are overdone. It felt like he was so proud of his copy of after effects that he used one of everything. I kept getting distracted away from the flourishes by bad special effects.

Now that I've said that, here's a video with truly bad production quality. The ITR video volume 1. It was done on an early 8mm video camera. The information is good but could have been presented better. The teaching is not as coherent as it could be.

Finally, I think that every DVD, particularly a flourish DVD, should have a clear performance of the effects or flourishes. That way, I can see it done and show it to my friends to say "I'm gonna learn that" or "should I learn that?" CTG performances were frequently framed badly so that things went out of frame, some of the sequences were too dark and, as I said before the special effects were totally distracting.

Dave
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
I thought CTG rocked! I didn't see anything out of frame. Anything that wasn't was shown again from other angles. The special effects ROCKED! Also, you should compare this to any other flourish video on the market, and check the production values.lol At least you can actually learn the material on this DVD.lol
CTG RULES!

ITR video was really bad!yuk, as well as pasteboard animations(a REAL bad flourish video!). Also SWEET by Chris Randall.YUK

Cardjinx Smile
1908
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
For me Heavy Hitters was really bad and Suspended Dimension is something I will never make and use.Also very expensive for such a poor dvd.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
trulymagic
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of trulymagic
Quote:
On 2004-01-23 07:58, Kim wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-01-21 16:17, trulymagic wrote:
I would have to say Shock FX by andrew mayne. I thought it was a horrible dvd I mean a few good routines but most of the effects are just plain stupid. And by the way strmagiceet I think it is stupid ur not buying from penguin just becaue you made one bad purchase and you are the first person ive ever heard talk bad about BTP. I thought it was a great DVD. Penguin is a great site, there customer service is great they have the best prices I have ever seen I mean its a steal for most of the stuff they carry. Im just sayin you ashouldn't stop buying from someone because you made a bad decision and they aren't selfish they are the farthest thing from it. They will do almost anything to help you out. Smile


Ah, you must have missed several other threads here that have mentioned Penguin Magic. If they really wanted to go out of the way to they would refund me $90 of the $100 I spent for TIES. worst purchase I ever made.Wish I could say I was drunk but I don't drink. ANyway,this thread is about dvds and videos so one of the worst I ever bought was MAGIC POWER VIDEO with Mark Sweet.


You can't be mad at them for a purchase you made it was a bad decision on you rpart not theirs. I think it is stupid how all these people talk bad about penguin. teh bottom line is they are close to if not the best magic website out there. Im still stickin with Shock FX as the worst one ive seen.
partyboy
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal, Québec
142 Posts

Profile of partyboy
Quote:
On 2004-01-27 18:30, trickster2000 wrote:
Were you forced to buy this video?? I think its your own fault for buying it, because this dvd's delivered what it promised in the ads.... mabee you should do some research first before you drop another 50 bucks on something that you don't know much about... there are so many places for you to read about flourishes, and theres a ton of websites that have videos of people doing flourishes that you can watch for free....


well that's basically because you don't know the whole story that happened. I did do some research about flourishes and watched a lot of those "free" videos like you said and I thought a lot before getting CTG...and well I was disappointed and will never use it but that's me and nobody will force me neither to use flourishes in my acts...there is no place for them with me, end of story.
"communicate your humanity, 'cause that's what we all are after all : human!"
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Doc Eason's Bar Magic series
School of Hardknocks
Ted Lesley Cabret Magic series
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Quote:
On 2004-01-28 20:36, Mistro wrote:
Doc Eason's Bar Magic series
School of Hardknocks
Ted Lesley Cabret Magic series



Mistro,

What was it about the Doc Eason videos that you didn't like -- There is a lot of Great Commercial Magic on them, IMHO!

Sixx
Smile
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I was also disappointed with CTG. Sure, the material was great, but 50$ was too much.

Asfor my other disappointments:

Paul Wilson Knock 'Em Dead
John Kennedy's Card Through Window
and Finger Fantasies.
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
Funny you say that, on your site http://magi-adam.cjb.net/ you have several superhandz/De'vo videos linked as well as the CTG order page and the trailer!!! You also have videos of you doing De'vo's moves! Couldn't be too bad.lol Yet you said some not so nice things about De'vo and CTG on 3 threads in the last day.lol mmmmmmm could it be that you were banned too?lol like the sk8rdave nelson dude? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The worst Videos/Dvd's you have seen.... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16~17~18 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL