The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The worst Videos/Dvd's you have seen.... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..16~17~18 [Next]
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Quote:
On 2005-03-06 11:03, taliesin wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-01-23 18:41, bishthemagish wrote:
I vote that this is the worst thread as of yet that I have read in the Café... It reads and reviews like the American Bandstand used to do in the segment "Rate a Record"...

My point - magicians today are very lucky to be able to get a DVD with magic ideas on it.

These DVDs aren't released out of some philanthropic gesture to the magic community. These are released to make money!...from us! You could argue that 'ordinary' magicians are the people best qualified to judge products and are most likely to give an unbiased opinion. Reviewers in magic magazines are liable to modify their comments based on their own relationships with production companies and friendships (or otherwise) with the individuals whose product they're reviewing.

'Magician's helping magicians' is the tag-line of the Café. In the case of this thread - magicians helping magicians to avoid lousy products.

I could not have said it better than that.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Good and bad is only a point of view of the reviewer...

Who is to really say what is good performing material or not. Or why magicians buy DVD products in the first place.

Performing magicians buy to put something into an act or when building a new act. They buy to please an audience. Some may impulse buy but that is rare.

Magicians that don't perform magic buy for their own personal amusement or because they want to know the secrets. They seem to put a different value on a secret and are very lucky to live in an age where secrets are easy to get.

In fact I often wonder why many magicians buy magic in the first place if it is only the secret of the effects they want. Just wanting to be in the know.

Magicians helping magicians fine - I find it may be better for magic if some magicians just stop buying magic - just because they want to be the first person on their block or at their club that is up on whats new - and knowing the secrets!

Do several shows with the effects in question and tell us what the audience reaction is to the effect is more useful information than just slamming products and people that they do not like!

Posted: Mar 7, 2005 1:46pm
Quote:

These DVDs aren't released out of some philanthropic gesture to the magic community. These are released to make money!...from us!

Being someone that HAS produced DVD's and sold them to magicians both good and bad money isn't always the motive.

Some of the magic DVD's are not released by the big magic companies. Magicians such as myself my motives for putting my ideas onto my DVD's was only to copyright my material and then sell to offset the cost.

I have been offered large sums of money from several larger DVD magic companies but I would rather own the rights to my own work. That was the reason why they were produced in the first place.

Sell them give them away the right is my business.

If a magician buys a product like a DVD and doesn't seem to like anything. I would suggest that they start going to see the people on the DVD at lectures FIRST! That way they can get a good idea of what material is on the DVD.

Second - I really think that is isn't such a bright idea just to buy products just so they can be the first at the magic club with the secret.

If a person doesn't like magic... I think they should find something else to do! Because I don't think that anyone selling wants to sell to magicians that badly!
Quote:

'Magician's helping magicians' is the tag-line of the Café. In the case of this thread - magicians helping magicians to avoid lousy products.

Again I ask who is the judge of what is lousy?

A performing magicians audience?

Or a magician playing with a toy?
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
SniperX
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of SniperX
Show Off with Cards By Magic Makers worst DVD/
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Oh, come on, Glenn. What you said, "If a magician buys a product like a DVD and doesn't seem to like anything. I would suggest that they start going to see the people on the DVD at lectures FIRST!"

Yeah, right, I'm going to travel 300 to 1000 miles to watch a lecture first? Get real.

I have some DVDs that I do not care for the magic. No biggie. They are still well done. I have others that are so poorly produced that no matter how good the magic, they are unwatchable. Those are bad DVDs. Then there those which just try to rip people off.

In any event - traveling to see a lecture first? Won't happen. I depend on my fellow magicians, as they depend on me, here to provide a review so I can better discern what is good and what isn't.
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
Another vote for the David Eldridge dvd.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-03-08 11:37, Winks wrote:
I have some DVDs that I do not care for the magic. No biggie.

That is how I feel. I buy something and it doesn't work out. No biggie. I have stacks and stacks of books, lecture notes, card moves ideas, video’s, DVD's and products that I have purchased in magic that I would never use.

That doesn't make them bad it just makes them not useful to me.

Suppose I am blown away by a demonstration on a DVD product and it uses a marked deck or a full memorized deck of a stacked deck. And I don't use that kind of material. That doesn't make the ideas a rip off.

I have lots of things I don't use but that doesn't make them lousy.

What is lousy is most of the reviews in this thread. There is a lot of saying what is lousy but there is little information as to who and why they make the judgment of a product being lousy.

If people have the right to complain about a product they should also use the right not to buy until they invest some time into finding out more info about what they want to buy.

And speaking as a magician that has sold a lot of magic products over the years through a magic shop I found that within our customers that their were a lot more lemonhead magicians around that town than lemon tricks.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Well, the worst DVD's in the world has to be everything from David Williamson, Daryl and Richard Osterlind.

Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
The worst postings in the world have to be from Jack Daniel.

Richard
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I have a couple of Daryl tapes and all of Mr. Williamson's tapes and new Dvds as well as all of Mr. Osterlind's Dvds, and they are all entertaining and educational. In fact, I think Mr. Osterlind's dvds are among the best that have ever been produced. I would be curious as to why you think Mr. Osterlind's dvds are bad. I have learned more from Mr. Osterlind not only about effects but also how to be a better performer and entertainer than any dvd I have ever watched. He is a superb performer, entertainer and educator as well as classy individual.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 08:08, JackDaniel wrote:

Well, the worst DVD's in the world has to be everything from David Williamson, Daryl and Richard Osterlind.

Jack.

Ahhhhh, another idiot heard from. OK, who opened the door for the inmates?
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 10:30, Winks wrote:

He He, thanks. I was just curious about how long time it would take before I got bashed.

Osterlind, Daryl and Williamson are actually the BEST I own, they are wonderful performers who I respect tremendously.

Mr. Osterlind, sorry for the bad joke (been feeling silly all day) Smile
I'm off to bed.

Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Jack,

I didn't take any offense and mine was meant to be a joke also! I just wanted you to see how it felt!!!

Richard Smile
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-02-27 08:26, tmoca wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-01-19 15:08, iamslow wrote:
The magic of David Eldridge from Brad Burt... Pure garbage...

Agree

Yeah, me too. Smile
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
I don't believe this was mentioned yet, frankly I was shocked to scan over 6 pages of the worst purchases without Harry Allen being mentioned. His comedy magic tapes for the most part had nothing more than bad one liners, dealers items which Harry happens to sell, nothing even remotly practical, and rarely even the slightest hint that Harry performs these things regularly. Out of 31 tricks performed, 22 require a prop. I'm sure Harry's a great guy and not a bad performer (for a lay audience), but I strongly feel that those videos should have never gotten made. That may seem a bit harsh, but I don't think I've heard anyone giving rave reviews for those tapes. Basically the tapes were nothing more than a dealer show, there's nothing wrong with a dealer show, but paying over 50 bucks for one is an issue.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 10:43, JackDaniel wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 10:30, Winks wrote:

He He, thanks. I was just curious about how long time it would take before I got bashed.

Osterlind, Daryl and Williamson are actually the BEST I own, they are wonderful performers who I respect tremendously.

Mr. Osterlind, sorry for the bad joke (been feeling silly all day) Smile
I'm off to bed.

Jack.

A bit too late for this, I just wanted to say that I knew it was a joke from the start. Those DVDs are among the best I own.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-01-19 15:08, iamslow wrote:
The magic of David Eldridge from Brad Burt... Pure garbage...

I like David's work. His Gambling Video is very good.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
tigerman21345
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of tigerman21345
Quote:
On 2005-03-03 16:48, pikacrd wrote:
Wow 41 pages and going although it would have been much shorter if all of the talk about CTG had been removed. I wanted to point out to bishthemagish that he should be thankful that nobody pointed out his DVD as several Blogs around the internet have dedicated forums to bashing the heck out of his work. I personally thought that he offered some good work and interesting touches on some classic stuff but that is just one man’s opinion. And as far as if a DVD is good or not it is all subjective to the person reviewing the DVD. As long as the person just does not say “so and so’s DVD Sucked” with out an explanation, all comments are fair game. So his point about magicians today being lucky to be able to get a DVD with magic ideas on it and how just like books some stuff is good and some stuff is not; I have to ask what the hell does luck have to do with it? I paid my hard earned money that to buy the DVD that someone else put out to sell. This is more about economics than luck, look the good ole days when magic was handed down from teacher to student only after the student had shown a level of dedication that the “Master” had approved of are all but over, the all mighty dollar has stepped into the picture and replaced the teacher and dedication. If this is not the case than why does he sell the material on his DVD instead of giving it away to a worthy student keeping it a secret from the rest of us? As a final note regarding Mr. Bishop his last sentence regarding the time that he spent reading this thread and how it would have been better spent reading one of the classics of magic, know one asked you to read it you wanted to and you did, if you felt that it was a waist of time why did you bother to spend even more time posting.

Sorry about that but I had to get it off my chest I hate the old man young kid mentality that takes place in the minds of some who do not think that everyone deserves the right to express there opinions and when they try to back it up by saying “when I was young and coming up we did not have DVD’s, you have it so easy now a days” No joke DVD’s and Videos are still fairly new in the grand scheme of things within the magic history time line. When you were a kid the magic was marketed differently and there were no vehicles for the spread of information like there are today. It is called progress if we stayed the same and never adapted to change the art form would get old wither up and die. Take a look at the history books and you will see that magic has evolved with the times.

Well off to the point of the Thread Bad DVD’s (or what I see as some of the worst that I have ever purchased)

Born to perform: I have reviewed it several times for different people bottom line is that the magic contained did not do it for me, and I did not like it.

Shock FX: Wow was this bad, I actually like some of the stuff that Andrew puts out. I as well have enjoyed listening to his Monday night internet radio show and will say that the bowling ball from paper bag is not bad and the thinking behind it is good but other than that it was a waist of money for me. The fact that I do like the bowling ball effect does not justify the cost of the tape for me and I actually think that Andrew could have made a much better DVD than this. I truly was surprised at how poor this project really is.

Gary Darwin: 5 disk set I think that it was called something like the encyclopedia of magic or something like that. Very poor quality you could actually here Tony Hassini in the background talking. 90% of the work was prop driven and involved props that are either not being produced any longer or are very hard to find.

I love the encyclopedia of thumb tip magic by Gary Darwin, he gave so many ideas and tips of using the TT and FingerT, and what should you do when someone know you are using a TT .
But I also agree some of the prop are hard to find, but not very hard.
pierre888
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of pierre888
Jeremy Nelson in learn extreme street magic... (routines were very basic for something titled "extreme")
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I think vol 2 or 3 of the johnny Ace Palmer video trilogy... I bought it about 7 years ago for 30 bucks on vhs and it was a whole 17 minutes long(thank god)... the highlight is how he spends so much time explaining that turning over a double slowly is more magical than turning it over fast.. I feel this was a huge waste as he pretty much used his status to sell these....
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
WORST DVD EVER:

The Ultimate Coin in the Balloon with Michael Bairefoot.
Check out the product listing and the reviews here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=997

This is an absolute ripoff and piece of trash. Even with the discount the price still comes to $30 bucks.

LIES:
It's says a signed coin in balloon.
TRUTH:
You mark a duplicate coin with an X and pray your spectator does the same when you ask them to sign the coin. (This is the man's logic)

LIES:
Then, as an added bonus on this DVD you will learn:
The Bairefoot Force - Learn how to make your spectator secretly select your desired card!
Rope Magic - Learn Michael’s signature rope tricks!
Torn & Restored Card - Learn how to magically restore a torn signed card!
Linking Cards - Make cards magically link together, then hand them out for full examination!

TRUTH:
Every Bonus is pure junk.
The Bairefoot Force is the classic force(a blatent ripoff, he adds nothing to it).........it would be like me calling the Elmsley Count the Jsheas Count

The rope magic can be found on any of Daryl's tapes
The linking cards are a joke.

NOT 1 person besides that cocky fool will use any of this stuff. I Almost felt bad selling it to someone else........Almost.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The worst Videos/Dvd's you have seen.... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 5.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL