The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge bunnies/balls for adults? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MrG
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MrG
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, Mike Maturen wrote:
Daryl's "Papa Rabbit Hits The Big Time" can be done with a mildly adultish theme. That routine is included on the DVD that comes with it. Great version of sponge bunnies that can also be cleaned up for kids.

Correct - Daryl's is a great adult routine and also can play for kids with a nod to the adults in the room if done well.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2018 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yes, why not? Adults are nothing more than kids who are older. In fact residents at the retirement homes love spongeballs A LOT and what would be regarded as "kid's magic" as it is easy to see, flashy, comedic, and entertaining. That is the cycle of life for you, you end up how you started out eventually everything in between is just an illusion.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5753 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I tend to perform the rabbits for adults, in a close-up situation, simply because my presentation is tongue-in-cheek and a little edgy, by midwestern standards. Sponge balls are what I perform for kids, close-up. For stand-up work, I use the balls.
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
I've always used sponge balls for adults. I think it all depends on your routine and personality? My routine isn't really geared for kids anyway...thus...I mainly perform it for adults. On occasion, I will edit or water down the routine so that it will play for kids...but I prefer to avoid that situation altogether.
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
I perform the bunnies for everyone. This may seem a bit over the top, but my main goal is to personify the bunnies. I introduce them as characters. The routine is about their backstory, and I try to tell the story that fits the crowd best. I have a couple different routines I work with, but they are really just ideas that I play with throught the routine. With kids I talk about love; mama bunny and papa bunny can't be kept apart and at the end of the day, they always come home to the kids. With adults/couples I talk about failed relationships and finding that special someone you can settle down an have a family with. If the crowd is drunk/rowdy, mr bunny is trying to catch some tail, the only problem with rabbits is, well...

All the routines have the same handling, I just alter the script for each situation.
Weird is part of the job.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5154 Posts

Profile of RNK
When performing sponge bunnies to the adults- I like to use the line, "Ma and Pa took a trip to the city and stayed at the DO HOP INN". And you can pull some other funny patter from the DO HOP INN.

RNK
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2018 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I have used sponge balls for 35 years now for adults and all age groups and people love them especially girls of any age. I use so-called "kids tricks" in adult shows and retirement homes and they also work great, I just change the presentation and how I speak. This is just a false stereotype created by over-thinking magicians. Those thinking that they are just "kids stuff" are generally dull, boring, close-minded, and miserable people as opposed to us exciting, fun, open-minded ones who are not stupid enough to grow up. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Sponge balls definitely play for adults- I absolutely agree. The only hurdle I personally had to jump across was "what they were". In the end, they became the "squeaker" for my golfball (that doesn't squeak unless you have the red ball that does). That sentence probably made no sense to anyone, whatsoever, as the sponge ball doesn't squeak either, lol.
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
I've had a residency for the last 3 weeks at a busy beer garden during the Edinburgh Fringe. I opened with Sponge Bunnies pretty much every set, including families, groups of girls (teenage-70 yos), groups of guys and girls of all ages and nationalities (chinese/german/polish/spanish/american/russian etc). The only group I didn't open it with was a group of men, for them it was straight into cards.

I started by saying "You've probably seen famous magicians on TV pull a rabbit from a hat.. now I don't have a hat.. but I do have some rabbits. (at this point everyone starts looking around, so I point to a girl) you're freaking out already.. actually there are here, two very cute little bunny rabbits" as I remove them from my pocket. Then into the routine (a shortened version of daryls, one into my hand, one into theirs, they jump across, I give them both to hold, make them jump across.. oh wait, it doesn't work as they are holding a male and female.. and you know what happens when you have a male and female rabbit together in a warm, dark and cosy place.. open your hand, I'm scared to look!) takes about a minute to perform.

I had a few people there say they saw a magician perform a routine with 'red balls' but liked the bunnies better, even had a few who told me they had seen other magicians during the fringe but I was better as I did the bunnies (go figure).

I was originally opening with a one coin flurry then into bunnies, but I soon dropped that I needed to get their attention fast.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
I've been doing a slight variation of Steve Dacri's sponge 3D rabbits for years. ALWAYS with women and I get the guys involved whenever I can through patter, but the women are the ones that do the handling with me. IT ALWAYS KILLS. Like someone earlier said, treat it like a kids trick and it will be taken as such, treat it as something for adults and they WILL get into it.
ScottieKrause
View Profile
New user
Houston
51 Posts

Profile of ScottieKrause
I actuly flow into my sponge ball routine from one coin flurry routine. It plays well to both kids and adults for the most part. With adults I tend to play more towards the men when doing the coin routine, then finish with sponge balls in a female hands. The general routine ill keep mildly vague but a coin is plucked out of the air followed by a few vanishes and reappearances. Change into a jumbo and back before flipping the coin in the air and asking the spectator heads or tails. Whatever they guess it's really a sponge ball.

The ball then goes into and through the pocket be for splitting into two. I proceed into a balls jumping from one hand to the next routine. Mine to theirs. Then finally multiplying into three. At this point I'll simply put one away or with kids(including the old one Smile ) I'll hand them one but it will vanish in the process. Make a few joke about it before starting to put the other two away.

The problem is now when I try to put them away it keeps endlessly returning to my hand.i begin to to concerned as I try to place then in different locations but it never suffices, even sometimes trying to eat them depending on the situation. After a that I finally snap my fingers and make a swallowing motion before smiling as I open my hand and there all gone.

The best part is now I'm reset to go back into it anytime. Of course the jokes change depending on my audience, but I use this routine during my street shows, at coffee shops, and during walk arounds. Also goes anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes depending on the audience levels. But all of that just to say yeah I love doing it for adults. Now of course woman have the best reactions to it but men still seem to enjoy it, and are happier when their woman is happy too :p. That's just my 2 cents tho

Scotty
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1814 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Burger say's never go to a corporate event without your bunnies
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of wally
Is there a DVD with sponge bunny routine, I just want to add sponge balls / Bunnies to my close up,
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
198 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Noblezada made a spongeball DVD for Penguin Magic. I pretty much use his routine (very few changes in patter for my style - but his routine). I get a great respone from adults and kids. I have a ball to square, and some bunnies, but have had such fun with the regular spongeballs I have ever really messed with them (they have been in their boxes for at least 4 years ha ha).

Most of what I carry with me is small, simple stuff: ID, spongeballs, Holy Moly, and Rattled. A pocketful of fun.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm a bit late, but, I did read down through this thread.

I've used sponge balls since the 1940's, when we had to make them by hand, from those big bath tub sponges!

My dear friend, Bev Bergeron "hand carved" for me, a set of sponge bunnies. To be honest, I haven't used them much--but, only because I'm retired from performing, and only do an occasional show. Bev uses/used them all the time, and Bev KNOWS "what works"!

This thread has motivated me to stuff those pesky rabbits into a pocket, and, start DOING them.

Over the years, I have done sponges for every conceivable situation. I used them in my high school program for years. A simple production of two balls (purse frame)and transposition, and those high school kids loved the routine.

Martin Gardner's "Passe Passe" routine with two sponges and the "countdown" (10, 9, 8, 7, etc.) ALWAYS PLAYS WELL.

To the OP (if he's still "listening") I repeat the old cliche: "It's the performer--and his presentation, NOT THE PROP!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2015, wally wrote:
Is there a DVD with sponge bunny routine, I just want to add sponge balls / Bunnies to my close up,

Daryl sells a very funny routine.
http://youtu.be/V_OtXGdM1Yg
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Well now if we're talking "adult", you just can't beat the venerable Magic Ding Dong, can you?

Goshman version circa $9-$13 from your favorite dealer.
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
198 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
The Daryl video looks good (and I really enjoy some of his products) but I really hate seeing those professional audiences. I recognize a couple of the most annoying ones from everyone eles videos... I guess it makes sense when making an instructional DVD. But I would really rather see an actual performance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge bunnies/balls for adults? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL