The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Lawrence of Afghanistan (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The point is that it's almost impossible to eat soup with a knife. Just as it's almost impossible to fight a popular insurgency.

It has nothing, whatsoever to do with cutting one's self.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
The point is that it's almost impossible to eat soup with a knife. Just as it's almost impossible to fight a popular insurgency.

It has nothing, whatsoever to do with cutting one's self.

I can't argue with you on that Bob. I think you were on the mark with that one. But for those of us who actually had to try and eat soup with a knife figuratively speaking, it was also not a painless experience either (and I was speaking figuratively and in an analogous way when I said trying to eat soup with a knife can lead to somebody accidentally cutting one's self on the tongue or in the mouth causing pain). Even for Jim Gant it wasn't a painless experience.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Just stick the knife in the soup and freeze it, then suck it. Doing it that way cools you down when you are fighting in the desert and you can also club the enemy with it as you charge through on your camel.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Like a soupsicle?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
...I had a clear understanding of the teachings in the book and the wisdom it contained. ...

Impressive. It's not an easy book and, like "The Prince", speaks to its place of origin.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
Impressive. It's not an easy book and, like "The Prince", speaks to its place of origin.

Nothing impressive about it at all. It's just that unless you experience what's it's talking about, it's difficult to understand the subtlety of the text. Sun Tzu was a Taoist and like many Zen and Taoists readings, they can sometimes be difficult to understand unless you experience for yourself what it is they are writing about. Taoist and Zen writings are also about "enlightenment" and certainly Sun Tzu, in my view, was somebody who was enlightened. "To win a hundred victories in a hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To win without fighting is the acme of skill." I think he was spot on and the statement that he wrote was pretty enlightened. A common misconception about Sun Tzu is that it is a book about fighting and winning wars, but really, it's a book about the prevention of war and achieving goals without having to fight at all. As one ancient Asian warrior said once, "the one who wins without fighting is the best of all."
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
That is like the Babylon soup of the day.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

The BBC has a documentary on the Legacy of TE Lawrence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD1_OI730MU

It discusses his recent influence on the American military's thinking when it comes to conducting counter-insurgency operations.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

TE Lawrence's accomplishments were amazing watching this documentary. Very few people could have accomplished what he accomplished. It's mind boggling what he was able to do. That being said, I think it's best to leave the Middle East alone and tend to our problems back at home. We already got our man Bin Laden and avenged 9/11, now it's time to let others be and rebuild our economy at home so that people back home have jobs and prosperity.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

So you've changed your mind about nuking them?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 7, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
So you've changed your mind about nuking them?

I never wanted to nuke anybody to begin with, so I think you didn't read everything I wrote to begin with and just jumped the gun a bit Bob; because if you did, you would know that already. When it comes to defending America if that's what it takes to get people to leave us alone then so be it. And if the Russians want to have a go at with us then we are capable of responding to the Russians as well. Our response to any terrorist attack on our home soil is no business of the Russians but if they want to make it their business we can respond to them too. I only talked about nuking the Middle East only if for some reason Iraq becomes a safe haven for ISS and they decide to launch a terrorist attack on American civilians on our homeland. We simply can't afford to keep sending troops back over there again and again. So, atomic weapons would probably send a very strong message that we are serious.

It seems like you just jumped the gun and have in your mind of me as some nuke happy guy. That's the case and never was the case. I am a patriot though Bob, who believes in protecting America and our home. World War II was a war, but so is this. Terrorism is warfare.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Do you believe we should have nuked Afghanistan because Al Quaeda launched 9/11 from there?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Sure why not. We nuked Japan for Pearl Harbor and 9/11 was worse than Pearl Harbor. Do you believe we were wrong to nuke Japan Bob? You can't support nuking Japan without also supporting nuking Afghanistan because you are then being inconsistent with your views. Do you value American lives Bob?

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I guess you didn't read my posts either. I made it very clear that I supported Truman's decision to drop the bombs.

I would not, however, have supported nuking Afghanistan. Neither would the rest of the world.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I guess you didn't read my posts either. I made it very clear that I supported Truman's decision to drop the bombs.

I would not, however, have supported nuking Afghanistan. Neither would the rest of the world.

It's not about the rest of the world. This is about protecting America. The rest of the world isn't going to protect America, only America can and will do that. The world is not responsible for our security, we are. I did read your post and saw that you supported nuking Japan. I am saying, that you can't sit here and tell me that you supported nuking Japan but then turn around be opposed to nuking Afghanistan after a massive terrorist attack that claimed more American lives than Pearl Harbor. I don't care what the rest of world thinks of us or if they like us. I just want our country to be safe and protected and to safeguard American lives. Nuking Japan is what it took to accomplish that goal in WWII and it might very take that again in the future. We are dealing with a fanatical enemy today as we were in WWII. It's like you said Bob, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Where did I say that?

Should we have nuked Vietnam and North Korea?

"The rest of the world" includes our allies, you know. What do you think would have happened if we had nuked Afghanistan? Would there have been more or fewer terrorist attacks directed against the US?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Where did I say that?

Should we have nuked Vietnam and North Korea?

"The rest of the world" includes our allies, you know. What do you think would have happened if we had nuked Afghanistan? Would there have been more or fewer terrorist attacks directed against the US?

And our allies didn't protest our use of nuclear weapons in World War II. I don't think we should have nuked Vietnam or North Korea. They never attacked us so, I don't see the justification in using nuclear weapons. But Afghanistan, well, it probably would have been best to send in a few special forces guys to hunt Bin Laden down rather than occupying or hypothetically nuking the country. The mountainous terrain makes occupying the country a logistics nightmare and very difficult and I am not sure how effective a nuke would be in Afghanistan given that huge mountains over there. Afghanistan has some serious serious terrain.

We can't just keep sending troops over to the Middle East again and again after sufferring another 9/11 style terrorist attack and we still have a responsibility to our own security too. Our allies can only do so much but ultimately our security is up to us and is in our hands. Not in our allies. What would be your solution Bob to ensure our security if in the event we suffer another 9/11 style terrorist attack? I would like to hear what any better solutions. I am not some nuke happy guy now, but we also have to ensure our security. People are also quick to criticize a proposal or idea but then few seem to step forward and offer alternative or better solutions. They just want to criticize and offer no solutions. So I am genuinely interested in hearing what solutions you have for our security. I mean, I would really like to hear it.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Well, we could have focused entirely on Afghanistan, al Quaeda and bin Laden rather than putting them all on the back burner to fight a fraudulent war in Irag. Countless American lives would have been saved and our objectives would have been attained much earlier.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not countless. There is a number available.

Do you fully comprehend what a nuclear device is and does? The absolute devistatation to not only people but the planet?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Lawrence of Afghanistan (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL