The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Lawrence of Afghanistan (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
You are proof that even a clown can serve his country. You must walk around with horse blinders on every day to block out everything that presents a contradiction to what you perceive to be true. Why do you continue to put so much stock in that statement......I could give a flying F why we did it.......did my last message completely escape your brain? I will concede that we didn't give a sh*t about saving Japanese lives, are you happy now? You can chalk one up in the win column....CONGRATULATIONS GM! (I still think you are F.O.S. most of the time)

I know it was not revenge for Pearl Harbor. If Japan had surrendered at anytime before that, we would not have bombed them. If the civilians were not mobilized to fight to the death we would not have bombed them.

I can tell how short sighted you are by your belief that we should nuke hundreds of thousands of innocent Afghani's for crimes committed by mostly Saudi's. God forbid someone called you a name as a kid.....you'd probably burn their house down. We harbor many people in this country who's country's would love to have them back for crimes they committed. You also are a horrible military thinker. The global political fallout was minimal back then.....it would take us decades to recover internationally if we pulled a stunt like that. Japan was a formidable enemy and a technological equal......Afghanistan is not. As evidenced by over 100,000 American deaths in 3 years and 8 months of fighting the Japanese, and less than 2200 American Deaths in the nearly 13 years of fighting in Afghanistan. I have a cousin who is a green beret and has spent over 5 years in Afghanistan. He says the civilians are wonderful people and most of them despise the taliban. I know you paint a very different picture, but given your demeanor it is very easy to take his word over yours. I sent him a link to this page and I would love to post his reply, but I think I would get banned.....again.....lol
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
I know I am a girl in a mans world here, but am I off base about this gentlemen?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
And given that the Soviet Union had declared war on Japan just before the bombings, I believe that there is no way that we were going to allow the Russians to invade Japan and obtain a major base in the Western Pacific (or a divided Japan, similar to what had happened in Germany). It was not only a message to Stalin, but a situation that may well have been forced upon us by the very real possibility of a Soviet occupied Japan.

It was, I believe, therefore imperative that we force an unconditional Japanese surrender to American forces as quickly as possible.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Most civilians are wonderful people AllAboutMagic in places like Afghanistan they are caught in a rock and a hard place. Taliban will use civilians who mean US troops no harm to kill US troops, so you have to watch your back over there even with the nice civilians. The nice civilians are the ones that could end up killing you (and it's happened over there, I was told that one of them was a special forces guy who got himself killed when he went to go shake hands with a suicide bomber not knowing the Afghan was a suicide bomber). And I am not trying to brag AllAboutMagic, but a team of our National Guard guys saved the lives of your cousin's Green Berets from being massacred by the Taliban when I was over there. They came back to our FOB wanting to thank our guys. So before your cousin starts going crazy, maybe he should remember that.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

AllAboutMagic,

War is not just a man's world either. It's an everybody's world. We had women serving with us as well who did an excellent job, right there with the infantry. War is an equal opportunity employer for everybody.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
And you feel justified in nuking those people because the Taliban wouldn't turn over Bin Laden?

what does a team of your national guard guys saving a team of green berets have to do with my cousin's opinion of your posts here?

my reference to "a mans world" meant me being the only female poster in this thread......not the military. Smile
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, AllAboutMagic wrote:
And you feel justified in nuking those people because the Taliban wouldn't turn over Bin Laden?

what does a team of your national guard guys saving a team of green berets have to do with my cousin's opinion of your posts here?

my reference to "a mans world" meant me being the only female poster in this thread......not the military. Smile

Buuuwwwwaaahha ha ha ha ha! If your cousin thinks I am an idiot that's fine. I don't have thin skin like you think I do. I just care about the lives of our soldiers and our people is all.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Congratulations General, once again you have avoided the tough questions and focused on the trival matters. From what you said earlier, you would be ok with nuking the Afghan people because of their government. A government that most of them did not support. In my opinion, that makes you far worse than an idiot.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, General_Magician wrote:Buuuwwwwaaahha ha ha ha ha! If your cousin thinks I am an idiot that's fine. I don't have thin skin like you think I do. I just care about the lives of our soldiers and our people is all.

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Now what does a White Russian have to do with all of this......lol? Does the Salguod abide?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, AllAboutMagic wrote:
Congratulations General, once again you have avoided the tough questions and focused on the trival matters. From what you said earlier, you would be ok with nuking the Afghan people because of their government. A government that most of them did not support. In my opinion, that makes you far worse than an idiot.

The Afghans could be non-supportive of the Taliban today and supportive of the Taliban tomorrow. The Talban is not the only terrorist network over there plus you have the various tribal politics and then Pashtunwali you have to deal with over there. The Afghans can very quickly turn on you, so you got to grow eyes behind your head. Not only that, the Talbian infiltrates the ANP and ANA so even the Afghans you train you can't completely trust. Some of the ANP and ANA could also feel sympathetic to the Taliban and easily start feeding them intel.

In summary AAM, it's about taking care of your fellow American soldier and making sure he makes it home alive to mom and dad or wife and kids. We are ultimately there for the US's best interest and we die on behalf of the US best interests and nobody else's best interest. That's what it's all about, watching out for your fellow soldier and helping each other get home alive. You don't know what the Afghans will do so you have to keep an eye on them, even the ones who seem very nice.

For example, a sucide bomber turned out to be one of the very nice Afghans that were friendly to US troops. What happened was the Taliban discovered he was working with US troops and so they showed up at his family's home and told him to become a sucide bomber or his family doesn't live. Who is he going to choose AAM? His family? Or our soldiers? The Afghan wasn't a bad guy and he didn't want to become a suicide bomber, but he became one to spare his family from the Taliban and we became his targets for the suicide bombing. The US should simply do the best it can to minimize the loss of US life while keeping the country safe. We can't save the world but we can take care of ourselves.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1281 Posts

Profile of imgic
Oh great...it's now a full blown migraine...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So we take care of ourselves by killing hundreds of thousands of others?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Whose lives do you think I should choose to value more AAM? The lives of Afghans or the lives of Americans? I'll tell you whose lives I value more. I choose to value American lives more than Afghan lives. That's just the nature of the beast AAM. It's a fact and reality of life. That Afghan who chose to become a suicide bomber valued the lives of his family, his fellow Afghans more than he valued the lives of American soldiers. Being that I was one of those American soldiers, I am going to choose to value the lives of my fellow American soldiers and my family which is my fellow Americans than I would the lives of Afghans.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What about the Afghanis (Wow.) who are gully of nothing more than proximity? The many innocents you propose to nuke?

How about we value ALL LIFE and not put a higher value on one because we won the geographic lottery? Lets stop looking at "them" and lets just say a life is a life and inherently has value. This is a good starting point.

How is what you propose and believe any different than the terrorists who hate America for shockingly similar reasons to those you bloviate about? Out of morbid curiosity do you read your posts prior to hitting the submit button?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Imgic, I know you have a migrane but I'd love to hear your thoughts. I know you served.

What about you Anderson? Or any of the other combat vets on here? Do you feel the same way?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Al-Qaida are Americas Lawrence of Arabia in reality.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
How many problems in today's world are based on the belief that some people's lives are inherently more valuable than others?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Three?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
How many problems in today's world are based on the belief that some people's lives are inherently more valuable than others?

Unfortunately Bob, the world just isn't going to come together around the camp fire and sing "We are the World" and all the sudden get along and start valuing each others lives equally. Things just don't work that way. It would be nice if things worked that way, but, they don't.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Lawrence of Afghanistan (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL