The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Human Skulls (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Well, for starters, I have read a plethora of books, e-books, manuals etc on the artform that is bizarre magic and seances. I naturally fall into this area of entertainment because I have had paranormal experiences (see http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=14) and have been reading and telling ghost stories since I was a child.

One thing that I always see in almost every book/e-book/performance manual is the inclusion of a human skull.

My question is, where the hell do I get one?

From my research, there is option A, which involves me sneaking around with a shovel in a graveyard.

Option B which requires thousands of dollars.

And, option C which involves buying a replica, but I've seen none that could pass as the real deal.

Can anyone offer advice, or can someone PM me if they have an extra skull lying around?

Thanks!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
This has been asked a few times in Spooky, try the search.

We most all have thought about this, but I've come to the conclusion, shouldn't remains be allowed to rest in peace ?

And, who are we to own other Human items ? (Real) JMO !

So, I say go with replica...
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
This has been asked a few times in Spooky, try the search.

We most all have thought about this, but I've come to the conclusion, shouldn't remains be allowed to rest in peace ?

And, who are we to own other Human items ? (Real) JMO !

So, I say go with replica...

Gary speaks the truth! I agree 100%
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Read you loud and clear Godzilla. I'll use the search feature. And I agree, the remains should be laid to rest, but if the medical community and classrooms can have these on display without regrets, then the bizarrist should as well.

I would definately go with a replica, but it is hard to shop for them online due to the inability to judge texture, weight, appearance, etc from a web browser
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Considering my sanctum sanctorum has about 28 skulls of various sorts - all replicas - I suggest you should not overlook your option C. The only real skull I have is a long horn steer over a fireplace as it looked kinda Mendes like.

Check out the simulation cadaver stores online... you'll find something.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2014, Poveglia wrote:
And I agree, the remains should be laid to rest, but if the medical community and classrooms can have these on display without regrets, then the bizarrist should as well.

I disagree. . .what does regret have to do with anything?

The medical community uses them to train future healers, not storytellers concerned about authenticity.

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Another thing about Medical Skulls: They sometimes have numbers imprinted on them, and have other metal items added to keep the connection of the jaw.

I do own some animal skulls...
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Well when I pass, I'll write it in my will that my skull gets sent off to a random bizarrist who is concerned about authenticity =P

Watch your mailbox afinemesh!

In all seriousness, I am willing to buy a replica, but like I said, it's hard to judge the most authentic looking and feeling replicas.

Even the posts I found here on the Café give links, but they still look "proppy" to me.

Plus, even if I wasnt a bizarrist and never, ever heard of magic or illusions or bizarre magic, I would still hop at the opportunity to buy a real skull. But I'm just a weirdo like that...
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
Well when I pass, I'll write it in my will that my skull gets sent off to a random bizarrist who is concerned about authenticity =P

In all seriousness, I am willing to buy a replica, but like I said, it's hard to judge the most authentic looking and feeling replicas.

Even the posts I found here on the Café give links, but they still look "proppy" to me.

Plus, even if I wasnt a bizarrist and never, ever heard of magic or illusions or bizarre magic, I would still hop at the opportunity to buy a real skull. But I'm just a weirdo like that...

"random bazarrist?"

Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2014, afinemesh wrote:
Quote:

"random bazarrist?"

It's late...been a long week...
SatanicBurrito
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of SatanicBurrito
I donated my body to science when I die. I wonder if my head will end up for sale!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Do you want the skull for a prop,routine,impress the ladies ?

Here is an idea: Halloween will be coming up, check out the Halloween stores.

Get, a Styrofoam skull(some look really good), put it in a locked display case, and Jazz the Skull and case up.
You do not really want to be handing out props for exam !
This way, specs will not know if real or not...only, you will know the truth !
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
All the skulls in the background of my videos have been cheap replicas.

Although late one night in the Players Club of NYC I was shown Edwin Booth's Bedroom at the top of the Stanford White Mansion.
In a bedroom chest of drawers were many human skulls...the heads of actors who had donated their skulls to play Yorick in future Hamlet productions.
Alas.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1489 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I'm not sure using a skull in a routine will lend any credibility or even be appropriate. I think it would cheapen any performance that's just my opinion.
Avoid skulls or risk being a parody. Unless you are high voodoo priest and can pull that off.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
If you're on facebook you can join several groups who deal, swap and trade in bones of many different types including human remains. I don't feel there is a issue using them, I would love one myself. In fact I've had my eye on a kapala and thigh bone trumpet for a while now in a local antique shop, hoping my wife will surprise me and get it for me as a gift. Good luck.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Real is what you make it.... check out the skulls used for Yorick in Hamlet plays.

I think I might leave my body to science fiction (nod to RD).
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
757 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
I have bought skull from this company - all replicas but very convincing and great attention to detail. Normally the skulls are mummified but I'm sure you can talk to them about any type you might like. They were great to work with and I'm thrilled with my skull.

http://www.reliquaryimpressions.com/welc......essions/

Good luck with your search!

Lo Pan
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2014, Darkness wrote:
I'm not sure using a skull in a routine will lend any credibility or even be appropriate. I think it would cheapen any performance that's just my opinion.
Avoid skulls or risk being a parody. Unless you are high voodoo priest and can pull that off.

Thank you. . .

Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Check out http://www.skullduggery.com They have human skull replicas listed under High End Replicas, Contemporary Replicas. The skulls are $143 or $176 with a stand.

I have seen some of their animal skulls and they look very realistic. I do not know how fragile these reproductions are, but the company might be able to give you more information.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Thanks everyone....let the skull shopping commence...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Human Skulls (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL