We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Human Skulls (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
The big ethical question for me is the origins of the skeletal remains in question. You are talking about a person, let's not forget that. This is someone's loved one. How would you feel having you mum, dad, brother, sister, child, etc; being used as a prop? People get very steamed about intellectual property around here (and rightly so), how much more steamed do you think people would get about the use of their relative's remains?

So who is this person you wish to add to your collection? Are they someone who donated themselves for medical/ scientific research? Are you using them in accordance with their wishes? Or are you really desecrating their remains?

Are these remains stolen? Are they an executed Chinese criminal, who still has living, grieving relatives, whose remains are sold to recover costs?

Is the decorated Tibetan skull a stolen one, sold on the black market?

So do you know the origins of the HUMAN remains you are proposing to add to your collection and would you be ok with me adding your family members remains to MY collection, under the same circumstances?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have a friend who visited the bone church near Prague. He found someone making excellent replica skulls and other bones, he still has the address, let me know if you want it.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1008 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quality skull replicas.
http://www.skullshoppe.com
Bob
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
OK, this thread was not made to be a controversial debate topic and I am not going to debate the ethics of keeping a skull lying around, because I've already stated that I will (and most likely) buy a replica.
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
George- sure I'm interested! PM me price range and quality

Intrepid- Thanks for the link!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Http://www.dappercadaver.com

I toss that in since everyone has started adding resources - there was also some other sideshow gaff places that went out of business sadly Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Poveglia,

My post isn't specifically directed at you, please don't take it as an attack. Other people may well read this thread in the future with thoughts of buying a real skull, so I thought it wise to post some points for those considering that course of action should think about prior to purchasing human remains. I'm off my soap box now and back under my rock Smile
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Brynmore,

You are fine, don't worry about it!
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I would have to go with Godzilla on this, I believe real human remains should rest in peace and should not be used as any kind of prop. I turned down purchasing a life size human skull a few years ago, I was looking for a skull to animate with my electronics - I always go for the replicas - below is a clip of me using one as such...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7pIXJvlRg

Chuck Caputo Smile
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2014, Anverdi-museum wrote:
I would have to go with Godzilla on this, I believe real human remains should rest in peace and should not be used as any kind of prop. I turned down purchasing a life size human skull a few years ago, I was looking for a skull to animate with my electronics - I always go for the replicas - below is a clip of me using one as such...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7pIXJvlRg

Chuck Caputo Smile

Yet, another voice of reason. Thank you, Chuck
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
My post seems to have been deleted.

A true account, non controversial,

and yet, it has been deleted even though it was on topic and contained no vulgarities.

Kotah
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2919 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Try nhere:

http://www.anatomywarehouse.com/catalogs......q=skulls

They carry training materials for medical schools and such. Not cheap, but highly detailed.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Here they specialize in Belgian skulls.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/115839827/1......omically
Yum!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Yummy!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
757 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Decadent!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I do want a Brazilian Female Skull... with skin,hair,and the rest of her body inside and out attached ! LOL

Yummy

YES, Living !

Oh, and some of the skulls Eddie posted !
Yummy that too ! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Here is a link to just one company's skull replica page: http://www.boneclones.com/catalog-human-adult-skulls.htm
They look quite authentic and some are already painted to look natural.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
"So Crossed Bones Cemetery remained undisturbed and forgotten for 150 years ― We like to think of a cemetery as a place where the dead rest in peace for Eternity. In fact, Eternity is for about 200 years if the bodies get in the way of Progress."

This is from my story for TOD. The catacombs of Paris are filled with the bones from church cemeteries around the city. The bones were exhumed in the 1800's because the land for the cemeteries was needed (or more valuable) as the city grew. Touring the catacombs is now a tourist attraction; my wife and I have made the tour.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Bill Fienning wrote:
"So Crossed Bones Cemetery remained undisturbed and forgotten for 150 years ― We like to think of a cemetery as a place where the dead rest in peace for Eternity. In fact, Eternity is for about 200 years if the bodies get in the way of Progress."

This is from my story for TOD. The catacombs of Paris are filled with the bones from church cemeteries around the city. The bones were exhumed in the 1800's because the land for the cemeteries was needed (or more valuable) as the city grew. Touring the catacombs is now a tourist attraction; my wife and I have made the tour.

Been there, done that... with a shopping list. I showed it to the tour guide, he didn't think I was funny. Go figure?
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Here is a specimen in the private collection that is an older medical specimen, this one has all of its teeth including wisdom teeth which is very rare and hard to find. It also has its own packing original case. This specimen was used in medical education.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa120......e72e.jpg

Now truthfully for most magical uses you are not going to be able to tell the difference between a good quality cast replica and the real thing. Except for the price tag on like this specimen can easily set one back about 2000.00 to 2500.00 and up. Compare the one shown to a quality replica which you can easily find a great quality replica of museum quality for around 175.00 to 300.00 depending on builder the choice is a no brainer unless your in to collecting stuff such as this then my advice is buy the nicest one you can find. Which will take awhile as good quality skulls are hard to find. Many of the skulls on the market are missing teeth and have other forms of damage. Also if the skull is brown in color it proablly came from a grave yard and was stolen. These brown skulls are something one should not buy as it may be illegal to own. Unless is very early and hundreds of years old such as the elongated skulls that appear from time to time for sale but these are even more money.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Human Skulls (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL