The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Human Skulls (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2014, Poveglia wrote:
One thing that I always see in almost every book/e-book/performance manual is the inclusion of a human skull.

My experience has been the opposite. I can't recall a single bizarre magic book/routine that makes use of a skull. But then again I might have just missed those references, or just plain forgot about it. Out of curiosity, what books have you come across with this?

Bob
Bob
Covernton
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of Covernton
I own several skulls from The Skull Shoppe which has been mentioned previously and they are excellent even up close. I have a collection of bones both human and animal and it is difficult to tell the difference without actually handling them. In many cases since actual bones are boiled and bleached the aging on The Skull Shoppe skulls looks more theatrically "correct" and are not nearly as delicate. I highly recommend them. The standard "bucky" skulls look fairly good though they need some work done to age them. Gel stain and some dust works well. Most theatrical supply companies sell artificial dust (it does seem silly to buy dust though once you've used it you find a thousand uses for it)

The problem with the bucky skulls is that any run of the mill haunter can spot it at a mile. If you really want something that makes people think "that might be real" the Skull Shoppe would be my recommendation.

Cheers!
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
240 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Bill Fienning wrote:
"So Crossed Bones Cemetery remained undisturbed and forgotten for 150 years ― We like to think of a cemetery as a place where the dead rest in peace for Eternity. In fact, Eternity is for about 200 years if the bodies get in the way of Progress."

This is from my story for TOD. The catacombs of Paris are filled with the bones from church cemeteries around the city. The bones were exhumed in the 1800's because the land for the cemeteries was needed (or more valuable) as the city grew. Touring the catacombs is now a tourist attraction; my wife and I have made the tour.

I was actually just there 2 months ago! That place is definitely cool! I bought a skull shaped black candle in the gift store outside.

I think I enjoyed the Paris catacombs more than the other touristy places in Paris.
vanitywilde
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of vanitywilde
I was very lucky to find two human skulls at a doctors estate sale along with a human spine and other human bones. one of the skulls has lots of medical writing on it in Latin that make it really creepy! I used to have a replica and I have to say that there is no way that any replica can compare to the real thing. So many parts in a human skull are so thin and fragile especially in the sinus areas. Also, real human skulls are very porous. Even people who have never seen or held a skull can tell which one is the real deal.

Vanity Wilde
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
"3 Skulls Donated To Seattle-Area Thrift Store"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10......827.html
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
240 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Now if only I lived in Seattle!

Vanity, Long time no see! How have you been?
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, vanitywilde wrote:
I used to have a replica and I have to say that there is no way that any replica can compare to the real thing. So many parts in a human skull are so thin and fragile especially in the sinus areas. Also, real human skulls are very porous. Even people who have never seen or held a skull can tell which one is the real deal.

I wouldn't recommend hand out a replica for the specs to touch for the reasons vanity noted above. The feel won't fool anyone. A replica is best displayed from inside a glass case. Or a wood framed box with the old wavy glass, now that would look awesome.
Bob
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2014, Godzilla wrote:
put it in a locked display case, and Jazz the Skull and case up.
You do not really want to be handing out props for exam !
This way, specs will not know if real or not...only, you will know the truth !

I touched base on this earlier, Intrepid ! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Just goes to reaffirm the fact that you and I really were separated at birth.
Tell mom I said hi. ;-)

- Your forgotten brother Bob
Bob
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Not Forgotten, Bro ! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Another option is a mesoamerican crystal skull, which would make for some interesting stories.
Bob
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
"3 Skulls Donated To Seattle-Area Thrift Store"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10......827.html

And it's happened again. This time in Austin, TX...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28......760.html
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
We are in a culture where some people are obsessed with skull imagery because they think its cool. I say forget about skulls people, not only is it lame and over used but also clearly out of hand. As long as we glorify it they will come...
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
We all own at least one human skull Smile
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Sorry to hear that Smile I have one skull too and its broken...
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2014, Eddie Garland wrote:
Here they specialize in Belgian skulls.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/115839827/1......omically
Yum!

Yep, and I hate when it's a hot day.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
One thing no one has mentioned yet. Real Skulls scream at night.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
By the way...when I wrote the book SCARY DARK RIDES, I didn't add this piece of info as I wasn't positively sure...but I kind of am now (hehe)

But the Imagineers unhappy with the fake skeletons they made, contracted with UCLA and brought in REAL Human skeletons and skulls etc for PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN. They were eventually replaced again with more realistic fakes BUT I know of one set that is still there and part of the ride...heh heh heh...Smile

Back in the day there wasn't all that much sensitivity and touchy feely goin' around...as a kid I had a real skull and nobody gave it much thought except it was COOL (translate I was cool.) Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Human Skulls (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL