The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bun vs, Roll (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I was having this disagreement with my nephew. When you have hot dog what is the name of bread you put it in. I call it a ROLL and this why. Now, maybe it's a New England thing, when we go to a restaurant or diner a very popular item on the menu is a CLAM ROLL or LOBSTER ROLL. A BUN is something you put a hamburger on or what women do to their hair.

What is your terminology for the bread that you put your hot dog/clam or lobster on?

PS I have never seen on restaurant menu: CLAM BUN OR LOBSTER BUN....I'm just saying!Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Plain as day, it is a bun for hot dogs.

Lobster meat goes on a roll, of course.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have never seen clam or lobster ROLL on a restaurant menu either, but I've never visited your corner of the world. In the Midwest, it is called a bun. They come in side split and top split (often called a coney bun).

Brat buns are a larger version to accommodate the larger size of bratwurst (or smoked sausage, Italian sausage, etc.). They usually come 6 to a package instead of 8, as with hot dog buns.

Hoagie rolls would be the exception, but can also be called submarine buns.

In parts of the south, where I spent many years, there are Po-Boy buns.

Hamburgers are often served on a bun, but there are also Kaiser rolls, which are often used for burgers, too.

Confused yet?

Then, there is the BUN candy, which is really tasty.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
To make things worse, at least in NYC, we have Chinese steamed buns which are not anything like hot dog buns; they are the dough which encloses dim sum.

If you haven't seen it yet, there was a recent thread in this section with a fun quiz pinpointing your location based on certain regionalisms.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Bread. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Hot dogs come on hot dog rolls. Hamburgers come on hamburger rolls. I like onion rolls.

Never heard of an onion bun.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Bun...just like the package says:

http://www.google.com/search?q=van+de+ka......50%3B150

FWIW, I'm in California.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Rolls...just like the package says:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/blue-ribbon......62436.ip

FWIW, I'm in New Hampshire.
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Interesting....packages with both, but e brands that say "rolls" are generally not ones I'm familiar with.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Interesting....packages with both, but e brands that say "rolls" are generally not ones I'm familiar with.

They're on the shelf next to the Moxie.

But... man cannot live by bread alone... So, what say you, you Café foodies??

Hot dog (as in Armour), wiener (as in Oscar Mayer), weenie (as in weenie roast), frank (as in Ball Park), coney (as in coney dog sauce), frankfurter (as in... well, you know who you are), foot-long (as in foot-long chili dog), dawg (as in some Georgia cracker can't spell), red hot (as in OK, those are good), Polish sausage (as in "Just get a *** hot dog, fool"), tube steak (as in you're an idiot), or corn dog (as in no bun {or roll} required)??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

Hot dog (as in Armour), wiener (as in Oscar Mayer), weenie (as in weenie roast), frank (as in Ball Park), coney (as in coney dog sauce), frankfurter (as in... well, you know who you are), foot-long (as in foot-long chili dog), dawg (as in some Georgia cracker can't spell), red hot (as in OK, those are good), Polish sausage (as in "Just get a *** hot dog, fool"), tube steak (as in you're an idiot), or corn dog (as in no bun {or roll} required)??

http://www.happycow.net/m/m_reviews.php?id=37585

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
It's a hotdog bun and a hamburher bun. Rolls are the Kaiser type in NYC where they're covered with poppy or sesame seeds. And while in NYC there's also the best crumb buns in the world, but aren't at all like hot dog or hamburger buns. Danish used to be called buns when I was a kid in NYC, but now they're just Danish.

Then there's the bagel. NYC has the only best bagels in the world. Why? It's all about the water. Just sayin'.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
It's a hotdog bun and a hamburher bun. Rolls are the Kaiser type in NYC where they're covered with poppy or sesame seeds. And while in NYC there's also the best crumb buns in the world, but aren't at all like hot dog or hamburger buns. Danish used to be called buns when I was a kid in NYC, but now they're just Danish.

Then there's the bagel. NYC has the only best bagels in the world. Why? It's all about the water. Just sayin'.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Why did that post twice? I didn't even have the chance to edit!

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

http://www.happycow.net/m/m_reviews.php?id=37585

The linx dogs look amazing!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
They're awesome...fortunately, I live very close to Linx. Definitely one of my top-10 vegan restaurant options (not a vegan restaurant, but top vegan options).

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I've always called them hamburger rolls, not buns. Bun sounds a bit sissy. Besides, in the part of Jersey I'm from, you're much more likely to get rolled than bunned.

Click here to view attached image.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
We say bun in Canada.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I've always called them hamburger rolls, not buns. Bun sounds a bit sissy. Besides, in the part of Jersey I'm from, you're much more likely to get rolled than bunned.

Should the roll be on a roll or a bun?

"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, Chrystal wrote:
We say bun in Canada.

Except when we have dinner rolls. Or Kaiser rolls. Or a few others.

Nothing compares to Log Rolls, though Smile

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bun vs, Roll (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL