The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dropsy Diddle by Jason Dean (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Any reviews? It's interesting to see that Jason Dean's comment is the only comment quoted on the ad.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4466
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10628 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Ya I just watched it. I like the premise but...

It appears that the Magician can't give the spectator free reign to simply handle the covered card. It looked like the performer needs to handle and make a move prior to the reveal.

As such - not that impressive to me. This is for the move monkeys I suspect.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1825 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
If its got Jason's name on it, that's good enough for me. Love his work.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
THREESUM | SNAPS | Precise Premonition | With The Band | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Ya I just watched it. I like the premise but...

It appears that the Magician can't give the spectator free reign to simply handle the covered card. It looked like the performer needs to handle and make a move prior to the reveal.

As such - not that impressive to me. This is for the move monkeys I suspect.

Just watched it. Very cool. Uses one sleight so not a move monkey effect. I'd imagine everyone reading this forum can do the move.

Love Jason Dean.

Really like this. Where I live there isn't the type of beer used, but I'll probably do it with a coin and then give the coin away...nice little touch, payment if they get the right card.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, TuneHV wrote:
If its got Jason's name on it, that's good enough for me.

This download may have his name on it, but this effect is simply Lucky Coin from Card College 1.

It's exactly the same effect, but Dean uses a bottle cap instead of a half dollar.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10628 Posts

Profile of saysold1
No the cap seems to simply be the F reveal - it could (I'm guessing) have been a Sharpie, or anything else. Yawn...

What is new here? The routine?

Even for $5 I can't see what makes this even remotely worth $5.

Let the Jason Dean fans swoon. My money stays in my pocket thank you.

I will give credit that the name of the effect is kinda cute.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
Nice trick, but I prefer the 'Lucky Chip' by Jon Armstrong.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Now I just want to know what a 'move monkey' is? Please enlighten Smile
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I bought it just now and I feel stupid. Impulse buy but thankfully it is only $5. I think that I am going to stop buying any instant downloads and stop watching these from my iphone. All you need to know about this trick can be pieced together from the posts here. Buyer beware!

Patrick Wallace

PS - I am going to start listening to SAYSOLD more. That guy is smart!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10628 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, DavidKenney wrote:
Now I just want to know what a 'move monkey' is? Please enlighten Smile

Endearing term.

Anyone who spends their days and nights practicing/perfecting impressive sleights and kick a55 card moves.

That would NOT be me. Anything beyond a cull or DL I leave to the MM's Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10628 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, Magic Patrick wrote:
I bought it just now and I feel stupid. Impulse buy but thankfully it is only $5. I think that I am going to stop buying any instant downloads and stop watching these from my iphone. All you need to know about this trick can be pieced together from the posts here. Buyer beware!

Patrick Wallace

PS - I am going to start listening to SAYSOLD more. That guy is smart!

Thank you Patrick!

I'm really not - I too have been taken more than once by big promises just like anyone here.

But when something is GREAT I think we should all know it and support the creator.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5217 Posts

Profile of RNK
Acar - I am wondering why you put the tag of HIGHLY RECOMMENDED on this?

RNK
ComposerCopenhagen
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of ComposerCopenhagen
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, RNK wrote:
Acar - I am wondering why you put the tag of HIGHLY RECOMMENDED on this?

RNK

I wonder about that too. Publishing such an effect I would be ashamed of my self. Dealing it too.
mysticalsales
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of mysticalsales
I agree with both Saysold1 & RNK.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1825 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I agree- Jason's work is fantastic... but this is disappointing. I was hoping there was more to this one as the ad copy is a bit misleading.

"This is the sneakiest secret you may ever learn." .... that's a bold statement for a fundamental, basic card move we all learned when we started out.

Not a bad effect- but not what I was hoping for based on the ad copy and the price.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
THREESUM | SNAPS | Precise Premonition | With The Band | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4312 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Well yes, it is a card college bit, Jon Armstrong has some great handling on this type of effect.
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
RNK: To answer your questions: I think this is a fantastic effect, and I do recommend it highly.

1. Why is it sneaky? Because of the wonderfully constructed setup, the psychology of the method, and the seemingly-bold-yet-dependable timing. It just slays me.. I love it. It's tricks like this that make me feel like I've learned how to hack into peoples' brain hardware and poke around. Like they can't help but be fooled. Controlling attention, triggering curiosity.. and it's all a trap. I love it.

2. Why do I recommend it? It's beautiful! The primary move taught in this routine is one of the most underrated moves in card magic. Pros like Gazzo and Dean use it to absolutely fry people *every day*. The reason it's overrated is that even if beginners "learned" it when they're starting out, they often don't appreciate its potential until years later, when they return to the simplicity of good, strong card magic.

3. Magic Patrick, please email me ( acar@penguinmagic.com ) and I'd be happy to discuss more. The last thing you should feel is stupid for spending $5 on a wonderful routine.

You guys are like family to me, so.. we don't always have to agree Smile Those are the reasons why I love this trick and I stand by it.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
675 Posts

Profile of ejohn
I bought it and love it. It is commercial, amazing, and incorporates great psychology for the single move.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
I bought this and was familiar with the original routine (because I am a huge fan of the originator of this). Jason's routine is nice and is certainly a departure from the original routine. If one didn't know, the price for admittance is worth being able to use the organic element of the beverage. While there are aspects of this that I will alter, I find it a worthy investment. This can be a fantastic tool to apply to Vernon's "Trick That Cannot Be Explained" (if you do not mention the card value before proceeding). For this element alone, it was worth it.

Best Regards,

Sean
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
After thinking more about this as a routine and not a trick I see the value of it. I think that I will use the classic force to get the right card or the grail. Maybe even use three bottle caps with different cards and an invisible deck. I like the reveal idea and I am happy with my purchase.

Patrick Wallace
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dropsy Diddle by Jason Dean (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL