We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Sander's Finest Creation Exposed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I just watched the History Channel's  "Your Bleeped Up Brain", and was quite appalled to see them expose not only a spoon bending method, but also Richard Sander's "Extreme Burn" for all the world to see. I thought how can they do this?? It's one of the finest effects in our repertoire, but nevertheless they did it.

An attractive young magicienne named Katarina (sp?) exposed at least a part of the method, although I admit an essential part of the  modus operandi was not revealed. In other words, an average spectator after seeing this would still not  have enough vital information to construct the effect at home, the mystery is STILL ruined, in my opinion.

This was ostensibly done for "educational" purposes, to show how easily the brain can be tricked, but totally uncalled for, in my opinion. 
What I'm saying is that if people really want to see how easily the brain can be fooled, all they need to do is watch you or me in action. That would be more than sufficient. 
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Unfortunately this sort of thing is becoming more and more the norm. There's not much we can do about it.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Except just bend over?
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
So sad to hear something of that nature.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yeah. I'll bet Richard is thrilled. And on National TV yet, not that we haven't seen that before!
However, as I said, they only told and showed a small portion of how it works. Kind of like getting only the first part of the formula for KFC chicken or Coca Cola.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2014, daffydoug wrote:
An attractive young magicienne named Katarina (sp?) exposed at least a part of the method, although I admit an essential part of the  modus operandi was not revealed. In other words, an average spectator after seeing this would still not  have enough vital information to construct the effect at home, the mystery is STILL ruined, in my opinion.

Her names is Ekaterina Dobrokhotova. http://www.ekaterinamagic.com/en/home
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Good. Now we finally got a bead on the enemy.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I agree that this is bad, but I doubt it will be a big deal. Didn't we learn from the Masked Magician that laymen forget these things? He exposed the linking rings and how many magicians still perform that? And this wasn't even an exposure show. If you're concerned, drop it for a few months, and do something else.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, pepka wrote:
If you're concerned, drop it for a few months, and do something else.

I totally agree! Prohibition was mine. Masked Magician exposed Charlie Justice's gem a few years ago. I just did something else for a while. People do forget! Smile

Doug
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I never indicated I'm super worried. But I still think the exposure is a deplorable and uncalled for thing, as is all exposure.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
During the original airings of the Masked Magician shows I was frequently asked what I thought about the shows. I usually responded by asking how they felt about it and every time the person said they thought it was wrong. Most of the public who appreciates magic, and there are millions out there, don't think it's ethical either. They're on our side. What concerns me more are the large number of kids, mostly preadolescent boys, who buy new effects then expose them in Youtube "tutorials". They're really showing off their new toys. That is all.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Those little pre-pubescent boys on Ytube claiming to be the next big "Mr Magic" make me want to outright PUKE!

I can't even watch them because I get this horrible CREEPY feeling all over me and my skin crawls!

Makes me want to literally claw my eyeballs out of their sockets!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh!
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Kind of like all of the bad performances on you tube, that expose through bad handleing.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
True. But the pre-pubescent boys with their "magical powers" are the most egregious of all, to me.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
551 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I have searched to determine if the History Channel folks are re-running this program - with no result. IF any of you hear about a re-broadcast, do post it here. Thanks.... I should like to see the program.
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
In general I don't like it when people expose the secrets of magic. But I must admit watching the idiots on you tube has taut me a thing or two and has saved me a TON of money.. TV used to bother me but then I realized that at best the audience is a very small percent of the population, even if 5 million people saw it, that's a drop in the bucket And then consider what is on TV that you actually perform? Most of the methods that are revealed are old methods of doing an illusion, very seldom do you see any NEW illusions/tricks being exposed. Youtube is the opposite, you see a ton of NEW stuff, but luckily each guy doing it has a small amount of viewer's. So if you think about it, most of their viewers are their own friends, family or customers. Your magic career does not go far when your own people know your secrets...idiots... Anyways even the guys that get a lot of views, lets say 20-30 thousand, in the big scheme of things that's nothing, the odds of one of these people watching me perform is almost nil... And I feel most of those who view them are magicians or aspiring magicians to begin with. So is it wrong? YES. Do I watch them to learn and save money? YES. Is it ever likely to effect us and our shows? NO. Will I ever do it? OH HELL NO.
Now if I owned a magic shop, or invented tricks, then that would be a different story, in that case that would hurt me financially. In this case I would sue the little rat bast$%%s, or introduce them to my version of catching a bullet with their teeth... But then again I have watched many videos and DID BUY the trick because I saw it was in my skill level, was easy to do, had good angles or it had a well made gimmick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Sander's Finest Creation Exposed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL