The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » ITR (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic_jim
View Profile
New user
Michigan
16 Posts

Profile of magic_jim
Just two questions:

1} How can I get My ITR to stop making so much noise when it retracts?
And
2} Is the thread spose to streach EVERY time I use it?

It seems like I have to roll thread on the wax after every time I preform with it .....

Thanks to everyone

Magic Jim Smile
We are the illusion ... The Magic, Now thats the real stuff~~~Unknown
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
There are two things you can do. Get a new ITR or give it the love that it was supposed to get before it was shipped out.

This coming from someone who was there when the first ITR was made. I don't mean that I bought one of the first large ones that clacked like crazy. I mean that I was there when he made it and, along with Malcolm was a big part of it in the beginning.

So here's what my assumption is based on your description, if you want more info feel free to PM me. The clacking usually comes from the core hitting the plastic. This was solved by wraping the edges of the core with soft material. You should see it around the edges of your core. If it's not there then you should either take it back, buy a new core or put some there yourself. It's a small strip of something soft like felt or velvet or the soft part of velcro. Anything should work and you glue it around the edge and your noise is gone.

If you already have it there and you are still getting noise the the dunce who glued it on used too much glue and dried glue is hitting the plastic. Buy a new core or take out your core and try to chisel away some of the glue. You might have to remove the felt rings and put new on if they are too full of glue.

Finally, the stretching bit. I'm not quite sure unless you give me a better description. First guess is the elastic is old, in which case you should get a new core if you are using a core that is permanently attached to the core or get new elastic if you have the standard in which the elastic is separate from the core.

Second guess is that you don't have it tight enough to begin with. I like mine to have a good bit of tension on it so that it retracts nicely. Make sure that when you wind up thread into the wax ball you are making sure that it's got a bit of tension and it should retract nicely.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Sk8rDave already gave soem good advice so check those things out to see if they are the problem.

In addition, it depends on what kind of ITR you have. The indian ITR will give you a lot of trouble and they make more noise because of how they rig the elastic (It isn't evened out). Advanced ITR users can make use of them but they give a lot of trouble.

On the "thread stretching". Again, check out what Sk8rDave mentioned. An old band could cause this. Another thing that can cause this problem is what's inside the core. There's a little cork plug inside there that holds the elastic in place. If this is broken or loose it can also cause the thread to not reel in like it should because the elastic will just rol around inside there. So make sure that isn't loose. If it is loose you can push it out of the core and replace it with a little larger piece of cork. If you don't have any cork you can just take some paper and make a tight ball just large enough to fit into the core and push that in there.

If all else fails, send it back. An ITR can give you a little trouble from time to time but they shouldn't cause to much trouble. The problems you are having sound like it needs to be replaced.

Let us know which ITR you have. That information alone might help us help you with it.

Good luck!

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Jeff Travilla
View Profile
New user
Michigan
45 Posts

Profile of Jeff Travilla
Your thread might not necissarily be stretching either... the tension on the string might just be pulling the thread from the tangle on the wax. Do this... roll the thread into a cylindrical shape and wrap the thread around it, like its wrapped on the reel. Then fold the wax over this circle of thread and mold into a ball. If the problem wasn't stretching, then this will solve the problem...

Now for the noise... mine has padding to prevent noise, but I was still getting a vibration and I was very confused. Then I realized that I have very sweaty hands. In the process of re-threading I got moisture all over the inner tube. I just wiped it off and cleaned it with a cotten cloth. Give that a try. Worked for me.

peace,
jeff
Highland
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Highland
Really helpful advice guys. I've had similar problems to the ones mentioned so I found your posts very helpful.
Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » ITR (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL