The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Exposure on ebay? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
So after being a member of ebay for years I have a question for everyone. What are your thoughts on people exposing a gimmick on ebay just to make the sale. I actually think it is wrong and have contacted several sellers in the past. Examples of things I have seen....asrah form, mirror on a mirror box..ledge on a shadow box, and more.

I know we can't stop exposure as it is a part of the business we are in but ebay seems like a bad place for exposure just make the sale.....

What are your thoughts?

tpdmagic Smile
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
I think buyers on ebay are usually looking for something specific. It's not the type of site where one expects to see secrets without paying for them.

Although I don't approve of the photo, it's certainly better than the mass media exposures that have happened in the past (i.e. Fox).

There's two things you could do. 1) E-mail the seller and politely ask that they remove the second photo or 2) Just don't buy from people that sell like that.

Deerbourne
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
I have in the past politely asked for the removal of photos like this one. It has worked on a few occasions. I understand, and agree with your thoughts on it. I just think that it is wrong...

tpdmagic
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
I'll agree with deerbourne. Nobody will sift through ebay to find magic secrets. If anybody wants to know something they will find it out anyway no matter how secret it is. People always want to know how something is done, but won't put in the effort to learn.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I have found exposure on eBay and found it disturbing. I am not of the school that says, "Don't worry, no big deal. People will always find out if they really want to." My point of view is very simple. Don't be a fanatic and don't get hysterical about exposure but take every opportunity to avoid it. That means in ads, in putting the names of tricks on props, in telling spectators the name of the effect as you perform, etc. Just make the effort to maintain as much mystery as possible.

Gianni
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Exposure on ebay? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL