The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Better newspaper tear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
965 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Candini,

Yes You can replace the newspaper ,
But it pays to make it up with the
same size one.
It comes as a tabloid size ( 18 x 12 ) approx
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Wayne, I got a bid on this on MagicAuction and if not there, Ill get it new....demo looked great on Elmwood.
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Does anybody have a copy of the DVD that they can send to me OVERNIGHT UPS, I will gladly pay for the shipping. I just bought it from elmwood magic and they put in the wrong dvd, I instead of Baxt performing his cell phone trick.

PM me if you can help. I live in Canada so if you are from Canada that would be great. Also If you send it to me I will send it right back to you after I get a copy of it.

Thx.

-M.
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
967 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Call Elmwood magic and ask for Paul Richards. Tell him your story. He'll gladly get you the right DVD for free.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Guys, I have 2 questions...

1. If you have the audience member remember an add or picture on the newspaper, then do the tearing and restoration, will they be able to identify the same add or picture they saw in the beginning?

2. I would like to do the routine, then crumple the newspaper up and produce a dove from inside.. Would that be possible with this effect without ruining the gimmick?

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Come on, can someone please answer my questions...

-Vinnie
Paul Gross
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of Paul Gross
Hello Vinnie,

The answer to both of your questions above is yes. I know this to be true because Hocus Pocus is the supplier and mfg. of the Baxt Better Newspaper Tear.

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Best Regards,

Paul Gross

Owner

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thank you for your response, Paul!

-Vinnie
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
967 Posts

Profile of algebraic
If Hocus-Pocus sells the item, give them a call. They are always excellent about answering all of my questions. Great service!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2004-08-10 10:28, MagicbyCarlo wrote:
Plus I never liked the way the newsprint came off on the hands. I know that there is a spray to prevent that, but that just adds another element to the set up.

I know this above post is now over 2 years old, but I just now got around to reading this topic. Here's a great tip for American magi who want to perform a T&R or any other effects with newspaper (I got it from Ray Grismer): Use a USA Today paper. Because of the way this particular newspaper is made, the print doesn't rub off on your hands. A small detail, perhaps, but worth knowing!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
Scott:
Ray Grismer is a great guy! I got to hang out with him at the Spokane interstate a few years back. Not only is he a great magician, but he is an excellent jazz keyboardist!

Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

No doubt about that, Arthur! He makes his living playing music. He is also an amazingly clever and inventive magician.

Back on topic, I've ordered the Baxt T&R and will post my review of it after I get it and look it over.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
magicjckson
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of magicjckson
Personally I like Richard Osterlind's "Signed Torn and Restored Newspaper", gets a great response from the audience. I'm sure Baxt T&R is good too, but don't see the need to spend the money on something I already enjoy doing.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

I received this item today and have carefully examined it and watched the accompanying instructional DVD. Having seen it, I can now offer an informed opinion. I'd like to address several points.

First, I cannot fathom how anyone could accuse Robert of not giving Gene Anderson full credit. Robert REPEATEDLY gives credit to Anderson throughout the instructional video, both directly (many times), as well as indirectly (he repeatedly refers to the folding procedure as "the Gene Anderson Newspaper Fold"). In addition, the accompanying printed documentation also credits Anderson. I think I've earned a reputation (here on The Café and elsewhere) as someone who cares about and tries to be careful about credit and attribution. I give Robert full points for crediting Anderson.

Second, some have complained that this method is not "different enough" from Anderson's to warrant being released. I disagree. This uses a completely different M.O. than Anderson's. It is not unique to magic, or even to this effect, but it is different than Anderson's and MUCH better quality than the other versions I've seen using a similar method.

Third, folks have complained that the product doesn't live up to the ad copy regarding the "hilarious presentation." This is one criticism that I think is valid. The presentation on the DVD is very "bare bones" and, while mildly amusing, certainly not "hilarious" IMO. Having said that, though, I'll also say that as far as I'm concerned this is not a huge deal. It is the rare routine, indeed, that I would perform exactly as someone else does. So this didn't really bother me, although I would suggest that Mr. Gross consider rewording the ad a bit in this regard.

Fourth, people have been asking if this is truly an "improvement" on the Anderson method. Of course, one man's improvement may well be another's step backward. To my mind, for the working performer--and particularly the high-repeat performer--it is, in fact, an improvement. The gimmick will last many lifetimes and is SIGNIFICANTLY less labor intensive than, for example, the Anderson or Shaxon methods.

Fifth, there has been a LOT of clamor regarding the price. I'll grant you that $95 may well seem to many an exorbitant price for a T&R newspaper effect. For a hobbyist, that is probably true. $95 is a LOT of money to shell out if you perform this once and then let it sit on your shelf or in a drawer for the rest of your life. But (at least in my case), there are many $5-$20 magic items that I've purchased over the years gathering dust right now in my magic room--certainly more than $95 worth. To me, $5 is too much for a trick if I can't use it. But if it's a trick I can use in my paying gigs, $95 is a pittance; less than a fifth of what I make for one 45 minute show. I can and will use the Baxt Better Newspaper Tear, so to me, it's a bargain.

In summary, the one negative I'd give is the ad copy regarding the "hilarious routine." Other than that, for practicality, quality, ease of use, adaptability and longevity, I give this item top marks.
My Lybrary Page
FrankBenning
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of FrankBenning
I LOVE the T&R Newspaper...ALL versions and especially the Gene Anderson one!! It's the one I based all the "versions" I have come up with over the years...including the one I'm working on now.

Imagine doing it where the paper is either SIGNED or a "pre-fold width" card (or two)is signed by several audience members...and then taped in the center area of the paper...after the flash restoration, the signatue or/and signed card(s) are still there and the paper can be given to them to examine and keep!!!

It's in the final stages of experimenting!!
shpf100
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of shpf100
Scott Guinn, I couldn't agree more with your entire review-perfect
tjmagic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
32 Posts

Profile of tjmagic
Scott,

You're definitely "on the mark" with your assessment of the Baxt Better Newspaper Tear. I think some people just complain for the sport of it.

And yes, it is a bargain for the working pro!

The bottom line is that when the flash restoration occurs the trick is over. Gene Anderson's version allows the performer to re-display the newspaper page-by-page so folks can recall a headline, article or photo to verify that it is indeed the same newspaper. Honestly, it's not necessary. It’s a nice touch, but again, after the restoration and the crowd oohs and aahs -- it’s over.

I use Robert's newspaper tear all the time -- it's a winner. And when you customize the front page headline with a personalized headline for guest of honor, people love you! Just get so newspaper stock and run it through your printer. Cut, paste and accept the applause.

Thanks once again for being a sane voice amongst the naysayers.
Tim Mannix
<BR>www.funamazingmagic.com
<BR>
<BR>"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -- Lazarus Long
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Hi Tim,
With a little adjustment on the folding and preparation of the newspaper, I do show the inside pages after the restoration (like the GA version)--using the Baxt method. It may not be necessary, as you believed, but it is possible.
Baxt's method rocks!
Have a great day!

Ony Carcamo, PHILIPPINES
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Better newspaper tear (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL