The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » It's It's Double Double Lift Lift Time Time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Fellas, I've studied a lot of double lifts, including Vernon's, Harry Lorayne's and others, and have finnaly settled on a "Hybrid" if you will, that I feel comfortable using, but was wondering what you all favor as you special D.L. and why you prefer that particular one. Any one care to share?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
I have done the same as for studying different lifts. I have settled down to a couple of them. One I don't know who to credit Smile. but it is very similar to Lenert Green"s windmill lift. I use that and I also use the snap lift...I think I got that off of double take from gregory wilson. and for the last one that I use a lot I would have to say that I really like the thumb count lift. Its great because even if I am doing a triple or double...its smooth..for me...LOL

tpdmagic
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
The most NATURAL double is the best. check out my video, this is the double that I use, and I personally think its the best.

http://www.tonychang.net/magic/DL.mov

Tony C.
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
It depends on the definition of 'Natural'. If you mean the way you always take single card is natural, It is not always best to imitate it.

I think naturalness is everything audience doesn't feel unnatural.

Sleights should be done naturally and convincingly as well. I I think think so so.

Hideo Kato
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I always use one of four depending on whether I'm able to get a break under the top two:

WITHOUT BREAK

Strike Double (with Vernon's modification)

Modified Jennings Snap Double

WITH BREAK

Crook Double (as taught by Ouellet)

Kick-Back Double (Harry Lorayne)

These usually cover all eventualities.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
My variation of Brother John Hammans double lift. It is two card push off technique that uses no break. It can be used any time with any cards and it looks just like you would normally turn over the top card so it is the best double lift for me
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
To this point, I think this is an overwhelming response, and it's amazing to know their is such a multiplicity of ways to accomplish this simple action.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Black Magic
View Profile
New user
New Orleans, La
87 Posts

Profile of Black Magic
I use a combo of a few double lifts in one. It just fit's me. My opinion of a double lift is that it does not have to look like you are proving you are turning one card over. As long as it looks like you want to turn a card over is fine. I mean, everybody says that it needs to look natural. Natural? Give me a break, you're doing "magic"! That in itself is not natural. As long as it has a steady flow I think is most important.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
I use Ken Krenzel's Drag Lift
Smile
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Quote:
On 2004-01-19 03:36, Hideo Kato wrote:

I think naturalness is everything audience doesn't feel unnatural.

Hideo, these are very wise words!!! I will use that quote! if you allow...
theonejimmie
View Profile
New user
Phila., Pa.
54 Posts

Profile of theonejimmie
I to have developed a hybrid because I could not get the standard double down to 100%. I have since adjusted my standard (single) lift to match. Smile
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Nir, of course you may use that quote. I am glad you like it.

Hideo Kato
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
I've been working on Larry Jennings Snap Double, Marlo's Double Lift, and a couple of others that require a get ready.
On Vol 5 of Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Magic where he discusses the Double lifts he shows some methods using a "get ready" he says he doesn't recommend this method.
How many of you use a get ready and feel this works OK for you in the real world?
How much time did those of you who do a clean two card push off invest in order to get it right?
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
My opinion has always been that the simpler the better because it takes the least amount of effort depending on what you want to accomplish. I have practised and occasionally use a double lift turnover ( using one hand to double lift I can not remember the sleights exact name) but the only reason is that it goes with the effect of the trick. I really think that there is no reason to learn a dificult sleight only for the sake of not using an easier one. My point is that I prefer simplicity and if that involves using a break or a get ready 90% of the time that's it. I have never been caught doing a DL with a get ready and I prefer it.
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
Actually Daryl only says that he doesn't recommend one particular get-ready method. He actually explains a whole load of other get-ready methods. He sort of has to because he only explains one no-get-ready DL.
Daryl points out that his favourite is the Jennings Snap Double which uses a get-ready (as explained).
It was a good battle, and they nearly won.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Harry Lorrayne was kind enough to publish one of mine which probably satisfies several criteria for 'natural'. The card is simply lifted and its face displayed to the audience. You can find it in one of the card/card-case transpositions in the mid years of the run of Apocalypse.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Black Magic
View Profile
New user
New Orleans, La
87 Posts

Profile of Black Magic
Using a get ready works for me. It's not the get ready, it is what you do while you are 'getting ready'.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Among the most important things to remember, IMO, is that this is a sophisticated sleight that takes a lot of practice. When I first began cards years ago there was this attitude that I detected in some of the materials that a DL was among the easiest sleights. Was that because it was one of the first taught? Was it because it was considered basic to card magic? Was it because some authors really thought this was easy to get away with? One thing I am sure of. No references that I read made very strong statements advising that this sleight takes a great deal of practice. You get that warning with seconds, bottoms, passes, faros, etc. But not with DLs.

It has taken me years to get a DL that I think passes muster. I think magic teaching sources should emphasize that this sleight really takes a lot of practice to do correctly. Also, I try to use it very sparingly. Even if you do it flawlessly a spectator may have very little ground to backtrack on this if you allow it.

Gianni
Shadowzen
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Shadowzen
I think for most tricks you can get by with a "get ready" double lift.

Then some day you will have a trick that would be most streamlined and effective without a get ready. Furthermore, one day you will meet a spectator who refuses to make eye contact, or move his eyes off the cards (burns your hands). This spectator will detect most "get readies" as unnatural.

It takes a long long time to do a natural looking double push off that hits everytime. So in the meantime, I would refer you to the Derek Dingle DL for a DL that doesn't take as much practice to do and has no get ready, and still looks very natural (though not as good as LiquidSNs double push off)
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
I use a strike that has become very comfortable. I initially turned away from the strike, but decided to give it a go and the practice has paid off. One, two, three, four cards come easily.

If I had my real wish, I could do the same as Bro. Hamman. How does he do it? He says he just pushes them off and takes them! What could be easier than that?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » It's It's Double Double Lift Lift Time Time (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL