The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Packs Flat Looks Big On Stage (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Boy, that Dick Oslund guy sure gets around, doesn't he?

Rumor has it that he will be appearing (or is that DISappearing?) in Colon next week for Fab Magic's Magic Spectacular!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hush Rainbow!!! (The Colon High School gym only seats 3,000!) and it's inside, so we can't put 'em on the straw!!! hee hee
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
bahamagician
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of bahamagician
My entire show consists of material that fits the bill. I've also commercially released some of my material for this same scenario, but I won't advertise that here. IMHO, mentalism and hypnosis is perfect for this type of thing. When used properly you can utlize both of them for a family based audience.
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Thank you Bahamagician!
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Inviso
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

May I suggest that you read/study the TARBELL Course. It "contains" more tricks than you can use in five lifetimes!
O

Great advice...every time I glance through my set looking for something specific I always wonder why I keep wasting money on something "new" when so much great stuff is right there on my bookshelf.

Randy
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
The Mark Wilson course in magic is also excellent. There's where I got my start.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Thank you Doug.

You are correct - that is a great book. And it is on my resource book shelf when looking for new magic for a specific situation.

All of Mark's instructional books and DVDs are very nice. I directed and edited many of the instructional tape/DVD productions for Mark and Nani. I have worked on and off with Mark for over 20 years.

I appreciate the suggestion. But I was looking for effects on the market I may not know about. And I have found a few here on The Café. But I am "always looking" for new material. Magic that travels well since I often work in Europe and try to keep things small to keep down shipping costs.

Kindest regards.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You worked with Mark? He was my very FIRST inspiration when I was five years old. And he's a real sweet guy. I wrote him a letter and he took the time to write me a personal letter back.
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Yes I have worked with them since about 1991. Mark and Nani are two of my dearest freinds and have been magical mentors to me for a very long time. You are correct Mark and Nani are the kindest and sweetest folks I know. I am honored to call them my friends. If you get VANISH magazine you can see an article I wrote about them. It's in a back issue with Mark and Nani on the cover. I think it is Volume 8. http://www.vanishmagazine.com/
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Reading your post is making me very emotional. Holding back tears. You're a very lucky man, and I envy you. (In a nice way). If it wasn't for Mark I would have never even been interested in magic. The effect he had on a five year old boy was not only magical, but profound.
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
"If it wasn't for Mark I would have never even been interested in magic. The effect he had on a five year old boy was not only magical, but profound."

I could not agree more.

Please go and read the article I wrote for VANISH. You will identify with it.

I can tell you that Mark and Nani are not as nice as you think they would be - they are nicer. I know - hard to believe, huh? But they are.

As well, both of their sons Mike and Greg are friends of mine and equally as nice as their parents.

I am honored to say that Nani tells me that she calls me here third son.

I would not be in magic without the initial effect Mark and Nani had on me watching them create miracles on TV.

As well, I have had so many magicians who came before me offer help and advice in any and every way imaginable. The list is long and the people all were so nice.

I have had a truly blessed life in magic.

We are so lucky to be in a business of such giving people.

Michael
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I would absolutely LOVE to read that article! Do you have a link to it that you can send
me?
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Here ya go.

http://www.vanishmagazine.com/

Not sure how to download back issues, but you can

I think the issue was Volume 8.

Mark and Nani are on the cover.

Best to you,

Michael
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
In my opinion, the top, Ultimate "Packs Flat Plays Big" effects are:

1. Duke's Dye Version (This is THE SLEEPER OF ABBOTT'S in my opinion.) Once you do this before a bunch of civilians, you'll know why I recommended it.
2. Bill Abbott's 5 Card Opener.....another CLASSIC and a GREAT trick...and doesn't have to be used as an opener.
3. Billy McComb's McCombical Prediction.....VERY Special and VERY entertaining (Just be sure and read the instructions carefully....there are a couple of GEMs there by Billy.
4. David Hoy's Tossed Out Deck........when used with an audience of several hundred people or more, and, preferably, people who do not know each other.
5. Gene Anderson's Newspaper Tear
6. Whit Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knot
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Wow! An amazing list! Some of those I haven't heard of, but I feel like a kid at Christmas time! I'm going to look those up! Time to hit the ol' Google button.

Posted: Jul 31, 2014 01:08 pm Holy smokes! I just looked up Dye Version. $Two hundred clams$!

I'm going to guess that the majority of that price tag is the 24 foot rainbow, silk streamer. Looks beautiful. High quality. Obviously not cheap.
flickermaker
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of flickermaker
Thank you Rainboguy!
nicklakin
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of nicklakin
I like Imind’s suggestion of Cereal Killer—But I may be biased. Smile
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
The U.F. Grant Temple Screen might be what you are looking for? It packs flat (except for the production items (like silks)), many magic sites sell this, low cost, looks great, is a fooler, easy to do, and suitable for all audiences.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Been a long time! I hadn’t heard of that effect in ages! It’s one of the old classics that has fallen into desuetude; disfavor.

But the old adage goes, “What’s old is new again.”
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
DOUG...The TEMPLE SCREEN is NOT an EFFECT. It is a PROP.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Packs Flat Looks Big On Stage (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL