The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Packs Flat Looks Big On Stage (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I understand that. However the prop is used to CREATE effects, so it’s kind of like splitting hairs, here.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
The temple screen is a prop and an effect. No need to argue just for the sake of arguing.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2019, thomasR wrote:
The temple screen is a prop and an effect. No need to argue just for the sake of arguing.

I wasn't arguing. I was explaining a TECHNICAL term.

I suggest that you read, FITZKEE'S "The Trick Brain", published in 1945.

Fitzkee identifies and lists, 19 EFFECTS. The EFFECT is what the spectator perceives. (e.g.:production, vanish, transposition, transformation, levitation, animation, ETC, To date, no magician has been able to add even one EFFECT.

The Temple Screen, THE Merv Taylor Tambor, the Phantom Tube, are PROPS, THAT PRODUCE SOMETHING!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2019, daffydoug wrote:
I understand that. However the prop is used to CREATE effects, so it’s kind of like splitting hairs, here.

No. The Templw Screen was made to "create" ONE EFFECT (PRODUCTION) Your effectS. (use of the plural (effectS) is incorrect. I'm not a "hair splitter"!

At the top of the Café's "title page:, we read "MAGICIANS HELPING MAGICIANS". We are not helping when we provide MISinformation.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Now you are limiting a prop to one effect? Why? You could do a production, a substitution, transformation, or a vanish with the Screens.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
For me, the Temple Screens are similar to a square circle... it's not an effect, it's a method. As such I agree that it can create a wide variety of effects. I would agree that the Tambor is a much more limited method, nut not the Temple Screens. Let's not be limited by the past. Creativity is reaching beyond self limiting restrictions to get more out of certain methods than those before us.
Ray Pierce
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2019, thomasR wrote:
Now you are limiting a prop to one effect? Why? You could do a production, a substitutPRion, transformation, or a vanish with the Screens.

That's not what I said!
There are props, sometimes called "utility" props, which can "do" more than ONE "THING". (i.e.: create different effects.) A change bag (YUK) can PRODUCE, TRANSFORM, OR VANISH SOMETHING. Years ago, I realized that ONE HIPPITY HOP RABBIT could be used in a TRANSFORMATION, INSTEAD OF TRANSPOSITION. (Fraidy Cat Rabbit).A FOO CAN can PRODUCE OR VANISH LIQUID, (Two Foo Cans, can be used for a TRANSPOSITION.

I just think that, while I'm not a fan of Grant's TEMPLE SCREEN, it's better used for a PRODUCTION. (de gustibus non est disputandum)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
[quote]On Aug 17, 2019, Ray Pierce wrote:

For me, the Temple Screens are similar to a square circle... it's not an effect, it's a method. As such I agree that it can create a wide variety of effects. I would agree that the Tambor is a much more limited method, nut not the Temple Screg

No question Ray! The black art principle (method!) can be used in many effects (Remwmber "DOLINOFF AND THE RAYA SISTERS" It was a novelty acrobatic dance act, with Dolinoff (wearing black) helping the girls do "amazing moves"!

BTW...I used the TAMBOR for many years (after I had seen Harry B. do it in 1945! I considered it to be the BEST PRODUCTION PROPS EVER!!! (The load space almost equaled the inside of the drum!

I used the square circle as a teenager. It played stronger as a PRODUCTION, than a VANISH. I think that that was more the prop, than the principle! Remember, Harry Sr.'s "Dizzy Limit" (girl in the net.) Harry used black art to VANISH the "butterfly". I saw the show when the assistants hung the prop, backwards! Harry looked at it when the traveler opened, shook his head, and signaled for the traveler to closed. He came downstage, and, did a front cloth bit.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
My number one suggestion for pack small, play big is controversial, the mouth coil. I have been doing a mouth coil routine since Dick Stoner suggested it to me as a teen. It has never failed. I have had newspaper articles where that was the main picture and even did it on local TV for an improptu telethon appearance when another act was late. Many pros do a version including:

Jeff McBride (which he cleverly combines into a paper ball over heads routine):

Franz Harary:

Dick Stoner:

Robert Baxt, check out the WPR of his DVD:

Yes, I remain an unrepentent 35 year mouth coil user!

robert_baxt
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA. USA
87 Posts

Profile of robert_baxt
FrankFindley thank you so much for posting the video of my mouth coil routine! The full routine with all the many, many, bits of business and the work on how I "blow" the coil out of my mouth that the Wizard Product Review guys gave 99% and the "Worker of the Week" award to, is available on my site at https://www.robertbaxt.com/mouthcoil-routine-dvd/
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
While they don't pack flat - more like they pack in a small box or bag - Inflatable Christmas (and Halloween etc.) Arches can be used for one person appearances/disappearances to full blown multi-assistant extravaganzas.

Milbourne Christopher presented his version of the "Three Graces" by Servais Leroy, calling it the "Sidi Bou Saide" mystery in his 1960 show, "Christopher's Wonders" at the Maidman Theatre in New York City, using a Modern Cabinet Illusion as the central prop. I was there! I saw it as a teen! It is the same theme used in Doug Hennings' "Things That Go Bump in the Night" in which he used the Million Dollar Mystery as the central prop. Well, if you have the assistants, you can do the same thing with an Inflatable Arch from a small box that goes Bump on the Floor and opens up to produce the exact same illusion with a fraction of the cost. It is described in The Wizards' Journal #40 - https://www.magicnook.com/WizJournal/WJ-......Illusion .
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Any thing that would be classed as manipulation.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
While they don't pack flat - more like they pack in a small box or bag - Inflatable Christmas (and Halloween etc.) Arches can be used for one person appearances/disappearances to full blown multi-assistant extravaganzas.

Milbourne Christopher presented his version of the "Three Graces" by Servais Leroy, calling it the "Sidi Bou Saide" mystery in his 1960 show, "Christopher's Wonders" at the Maidman Theatre in New York City, using a Modern Cabinet Illusion as the central prop. I was there! I saw it as a teen! It is the same theme used in Doug Hennings' "Things That Go Bump in the Night" in which he used the Million Dollar Mystery as the central prop. Well, if you have the assistants, you can do the same thing with an Inflatable Arch from a small box that goes Bump on the Floor and opens up to produce the exact same illusion with a fraction of the cost. It is described in The Wizards' Journal #40 - https://www.magicnook.com/WizJournal/WJ-......hIllusie .

And, Jay Marshall and I laughed our A**SES OFF, when Milbourne pointed to the girl "floating", and said: "There she H A N G S!"
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2019, robert_baxt wrote:
FrankFindley thank you so much for posting the video of my mouth coil routine!

No, thank you for producing such a great routine. Flasso would be proud! Also, just a quick note to say that your KEH telephone technique webinar is awesome. Frances Marshall's The Happy Birthday Business book could use a little updating. Hint, hint.

Back on topic, here are some other pack flat items which have done great for me:

* Smart Ass by Bill Abbott (original version)
* Prediction routine with the Unbelievalope by Jeff Kaylor
* Dukes Dye Version (gimmick doesn't fold flat but takes very little room...great way to add customized message to act)
* Diamond Jack with a jumbo deck
* Jumbo Fooled Again (great for kid shows when you make card reappear under seat of kid in front row chosen by audience...used to do this as a 'Wonka Bar' routine when the movie was popular)
* Acrobatic Knot by Daryl

Just started doing a borrowed item prediction routine Mark James showcased in his Penguin Live lecture. Except for a prediction in an envelope, everything is borrowed. Talk about pack flat.

I've noticed that Knots Off Silk has become popular. It plays very big.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2019, FrankFindley wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2019, robert_baxt wrote:
FrankFindley thank you so much for posting the video of my mouth coil routine!

No, thank you for producing such a great routine. Flasso would be proud!

Oops.just noticed the typo. Of course I meant Al Flosso!
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I highly recommend Thom Peterson's Wise Quack.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2019, charliemartin wrote:
I highly recommend Thom Peterson's Wise Quack.

Added that one to my act a month or so ago and couldn't be happier with the results!
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Great topic,
As a Professional corporate entertainer,
I too travel to most corporate events and a smaller but entertaining show is the key , a few effects I use and tips I picked up etc

I use music for an intro and 2 effects including my finale , these are all pre recorded on my laptop with joins,fades etc so it is 1 file only. Hit start away you go..
I run all my shows from my cellphone as they have better batteries... through the PA system of the venue,most corporate events have a DJ or in house system so I do check whats available before I leave.
Any local shows I use my own PA etc so that is the largest effect I use when not on a plane. Music makes your show big....

Effects I use, not at every show, that are easily packed into 1 case only. Some have been mentioned. I use these at different shows but packs small, I only do 1 card effect at each gig.
they are mostly classic effects but work so well...

-12 inch Linking Rings to music.
-Comedy intro and quick comedy prediction effect
-Egg Bag, shot glass finale with spectator on stage (Think Jeff Hobson and how much he gets from this effect at 2000 seater venues.)
-Bill in Lemon (comedy routine)
-Add a pad nos Prediction effect-4 spectators
-Silk to Egg
-Tossed Out Deck
- Bank Nite- 4 spectators
-Jumbo invisible deck-also Tossed out to crowd for selection etc
- Snowstorm in China effect to music

that's a basic mixture maybe add Harry Anderson 3 card Prince on occasion..

Cheers
Brent

brentmcleodmagic.com
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Many routines when you get a spectator up to help makes the show seem bigger and has built-in interest. Cut and restored rope, mine was based on Chanin's and is cut and restored about 5 times, differently each time. Paul Daniel's routine with the rings. I'm just throwing out things off the top of my head. Read up on Paul Rossini. Some kind of card trick with a spectator...card silks maybe. Anyway...that's my contribution.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
A ring thru rope routine can be seen from a very long way, even better you
can invite assistants which can increase perceived size. ( a ring and rope routine
doesn't have to be performed solo.)

And it's easy to carry, a short rope and a ring ranging in size from a bracelet to a full sized
linking ring.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Packs Flat Looks Big On Stage (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL