The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where to buy magic books in Australia? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
Australia for some reason seems to be an expensive place to buy books and DVD's/Video's from. For example one of the books I am looking for Bill Tarr's 'Now You See It, Now You Don't' cost $49 at the cheapest place I can find. 'While Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic' costs $35. Does anyone know of a place in Australia or possibly oversea's where I can find better prices on these items?
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
Philip,

The best price for the Tarr I've found OS is $21.00 US, so about A$30, add $8 postage and 10% GST and you're at $41.00 in any case. US$19 for Wilson is going to turn into around A$29. Of course you may not get caught for the GST, small parcels rarely get assessed, so you'd probably save some money there. Remember if you were to walk into a shop in the US to buy the book, they are going to add their local taxes too, so we don't have it too bad down here.

David.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Philip,
I agree with David; allowing for "hidden" taxes and such, so-called inexpensive books are just about the same price everywhere.
You may find a deal if you trip over a special somewhere; but, normally, the prices you quote sound about right.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Philip,

Its intresting to have a look at Taylors Magic Shop web site as they have a AU price that and how much it would cost in US dollar if you were to inport. It works out to be the same or in Taylors case even cheaper.

http://www.taylorsmagicshop.com

Magically

Aus
gerrardlo
View Profile
New user
Manchester
34 Posts

Profile of gerrardlo
The U.S. site: http://www.penguinmagic.com is quite cheap but it would involve you shipping the items but that wouldn't cost too much.

Hope this helps!
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
I have already looked at both Taylor's Magic and Penguin Magic, and Penguin Magic is by far the cheapest even with the $11.95 postage.
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Shipping to Australia from the US or Britain can be very expensive, especially if you request first class airmail.

I've ordered books from the US before, and in most cases the airmail postage cost just as much as the books themselves.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
I live in South Africa and also came across this problem. The price of books are double that of US dealers and shops. Datona Magic (look up on the web, is the cheapest), Magic Warehouse (is the most efficient). Postage takes about a week.

You can also find out what your magic shop in AUS charge. I know that there is a magic shop because I saw a web page that indicated a South African works there.

Good luck and Adam Gilchrist rules!

Andre
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Remeber a rough rule of thumb for exchange rates between US and Aussie dollars are two Aussie dollars for every US dollar. This can make things quite expensive.

Magically,
Aus
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
Aus

Since the US dollar is the highest, it has been for many years, you now get around 0.79 American dollars for every Australian dollar.
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
It's not only the exchange rate that makes it expensive. The credit cards companies hit you with an "foreign exchange fee". Then you also pay for airmail.

I still buy stuff from overseas, but I'm very selective about it.

P.S If you ask online magic dealers for a small discount due to "currency handicap", they will usually give you a small discount, around 10% on the total (goods and airmail). In fact, I always ask and I always get this small discount.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
The AUS Dollar is stronger than the ZAR(South African Rand),but US is still cheaper if you are buying quite a few books or videos--since the shipping is less if you buy several books rather than single.I did not notice any 'foreign exchange fees' on my credit card,but that could be because you live elsewhere,different bank ect.
My point is that it is hard to beat the US at prices,service and availibility,period.
Andre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where to buy magic books in Australia? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL