The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Orleans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Hello everyone,
I am getting ready to celebrate my 25th Wedding Anniversary, and am planning a surprise trip to New Orleans for my wife and myself….with a slight twist.

I have been laid off for quite a while, so it is on a real close budget.

I've already got the trip there and back covered, but I am looking for nice, but inexpensive places to stay and things to do/see.

However, any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated, regardless of cost, if it's really good I'd like to know about it. This is after all my 25th, and I'll make a sacrifice or two for something special.

The trip is loosely planned for somewhere between mid Feb and early Mar, depending on when we can find the best stuff to do. Those dates are tentative also, as we are flexible.

So if you've been to New Orleans (or not) and know of good things to see or do, good places to eat, or stay, inexpensively, please let me know.
Thanks
Steve Smile

PS: I am (of course) interested in anything Magic-related in the area.
Thanks again
Smile
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The last time I was in New Orleans on business I was tapped out for cash, so I had to look for cheap fun.

Since you are traveling with your wife, it probably wouldn't be that romantic to busk in order to make expenses, but you would be the best judge of that. It is cheap (but not free, for heaven's sake) to watch the buskers. Try to catch Peter Bennett on glass harmonica near Jackson Square. The various statue guys are fun, but if you shoot a picture, they will chase you if you don't tip them (saw it happen). In general, the French Quarter is really fun to just walk around in. It is free to see expensive antiques and art on Royal Street, and on Bourbon Street you can stand outside a bar for a while and listen to zydeco music for free.

Cheap on an hourly basis, and very diverting, are the various events run by Haunted History. I went on a ghost walk, two hours with a great stroyteller walking the French Quarter. They have vampire and voodoo tours also. Go to the cemetery and take pictures if you can't afford a tour.

Although it looks like it ought to be a tourist trap, if you are in the right frame of mind and like to take pictures, you might enjoy Mardi Gras World. This is the big warehouse where they build most of the floats and props for Mardis Gras. After a bit of a tour, they turn you loose and you can wander around warehouses full of floats, props and costumes as long as you want. Some of the stuff is a little beat up, so you can get a real spooky abandoned carnival mood if that is what you are looking for. You take a free shuttle across the river, so the travel kills a bit of time, and usually the driver is talkative and colorful.

For cheap eats, most bars have great seafood for very cheap prices, but for an inexpensive and authentic restaurant I recommend The Gumbo Shop. People in New Orleans are on a later schedule than folks from Maine, so if you show up for dinner before 6 PM at most places, you won't have any trouble getting a table. The places with big lines down the street cost too much anyway.

In general, it is hard to beat sitting still in the French Quarter watching all the colorful folk stream by. You can go into the shops and talk to the maskmakers, art dealers, antique dealers, and so on. They don't know you're broke!

Don't miss Harry Anderson's "Sideshow." It wasn't open yet the last time I was there. You know how to find his #1 fan at the Café, of course.

Of course, you haven't really been to New Orleans until you visit Café du Monde near Jackson Square. The other locations don't count. Very inexpensive and very colorful.

Have a great time!

Yours,

Paul
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Not sure where you plan on staying but if you're looking for a family owned 4 star deluxe hotel, the

Maison Dupuy
1001 Rue Toulouse
New Orleans LA 70112

is a beautiful hotel. Located in a residential section of the French Quarter, and just blocks away from Bourbon Street.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Dr Wilson
Thanks for the tips. That is "Exactly" the type stuff I am looking for. Smile

I am keeping busy just writing all this stuff down. I'm going to try to check it all out over the net before we go, and get an itinerary of sorts before I go.

I love Maine, it's one of my favorite states. Nevah got to Bah Hahbah though, but I always wanted to go.
I was stationed at Ft. Devens, Mass for several years though. New England is very pretty.

Thanks again for the tips.

If you, or anyone else have any ideas I'd appreciate them too.

Steve Smile

----------------------------------------
Randy
Although I was afraid at first, that a 4 star would be way too much, I looked them up online, and, besides being a beautiful place, they seem to have some "very" reasonable rates, for the area. Thanks, I am definitely going to look deeper into their hotel.

Steve Smile
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Sdgiu, not that it matters but there was a magic shop in Jackson Station, (a mall type setting on the river) and that was where I got bit by the magic bug in 1985. I was 19 or so. Now that I look back that trip to The Big Easy was the best thing to happen to me in my life. I am where I am now because of that trip.

Jeff
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Hey Jeff,

Sorry to say, the magic shop in the French Quarter finally closed down in the summer of 2002.

There is a Magic Masters store in the Riverwalk mall, these demonstrators are fun to watch, and you can't beat the look of the place (like Houdini's library). If you are a magician, it doesn't seem like they have much, but these places are set up to sell a high volume of a few items to tourists. I have always enjoyed watching their demonstrators interact with visitors.

Check them out at:

http://www.magicmasters.com/store/customer/home.php

Yours,

Paul
Texas Worker
View Profile
New user
Kerrville Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Texas Worker
Thank you Drwilson. I was one of those demonstrators in New Orleans. Just remember the guys are working on commission so don't get in the way of a sale. Go to Central Grocery for a Muffalata, one feeds two. Take the streetcar uptown to Riverbend and Audabon park. Talk to the guys at Magic Masters - Jon Racherbaumer holds court on Mondays and the guys at the shop can set you up. The key is have fun!
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
They sell magic at SIDESHOW--not just Harry magic. I also had some magic demonstrated for me (I bought Deep Astonishment there). They have coins, cards, mentalism and other magic.

Ellen
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Check out a magish named Dante while you're there in the French Quarter. He is one of the better street magis working.
Have fun, the Big Easy has tons of it!
Jason
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
I remember him the first time we went--didn't see him later on.

Ellen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Orleans (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL