The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ProMystic Private Eye (130 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, kannon wrote:
Times have changed huh!
Might as well just publicly write down all your props, sources and methods on your facebook wall.

Exactly, others on here just don't seem to get it. Liking things on Facebook flags them to all the users' contacts, magicians and laypeople alike.

People around here just don't seem to get it! To quote Brett, "sheesh".
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Mr. Ferguson:

You are saying that you "get it" but those of us who have worked with Craig Filicetti and his products do not "get it." I read Craig's invitation to his constituency; if that was, in fact, an appeal for "incentivized forced endorsements," then you are right--I did not get it. Let's look at each word in your interpretation:

1. "Forced." If the invitation was an attempt to FORCE anyone to do something, I missed it in toto.
2. "Endorsements." The invitation was for honest "reviews." Check the OED to see if the two terms have ANY synonymous connection in the English language.
3. "Incentivized." There is some truth there but, since Craig's mailings go out to those of us who can afford to BUY some of his stuff, the incentive is stimulating, but negligible.

It is possible, of course, that you are right and we should take your authoritative word for it. So if you would be good enough to share (say) your academic (or other) credentials that would warrant that level of trust in your judgement, I will consider it.

George
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I've been a loyal customer of Craig's since the beginning, and I have never dealt with a more honest and ethical person in all of magic. His customer service is uncanny. And, his products are the best.

So... back to Private Eye, please. Can't wait to see what this is!

Robert
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Echo all the positives here. Craig has gone over and above for me on a few occassions. Jamie you are wrong on this and now trying to twist it versus just admitting you were off base on this. Takes a big man to admit he was wrong....

Am also anxious to learn more about Private Eye.

John
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

So I 'liked' the PM facebook page this morning.

Here is an in-mail I received from a non-magician friend a few hours later, word for word.

"All done with electronics eh? Smile"

Craig is a good guy. However, incentivising likes on facebook helps spread awareness of our methods (as I anticipated).

The evidence is conclusive.

Case closed.
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
With respect to all concerned:

In favour of Promystic: they are doing absolutely nothing wrong. One may not like the fact that they are using Facebook to promote products, but to be fair...I'm pretty sure there are many, many magicians and magic compianes that have a Facebook presence, so to flag this in an acusatory manner is pretty weird and more than a little nonsensical.

In favour of Jamie: not liking the above because laypeople are exposed to where magicians get 'their magic' is a valid point. I'm not friends on Facebook with any of my 'magic friends' or companies I buy from for this precise reason.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

I agree that the orginal post was a bit off the mark in tone though.

But then a scoop by any other name just wouldn't be the same.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Thanks Carl. A more balanced view.
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
So I 'liked' the PM facebook page this morning.

Here is an in-mail I received from a non-magician friend a few hours later, word for word.

"All done with electronics eh? Smile"

Craig is a good guy. However, incentivising likes on facebook helps spread awareness of our methods (as I anticipated).

The evidence is conclusive.

Case closed.

Amen!
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Jamie:

I have not become involved in social media, including Facebook, and my points had nothing to do with that. I was addressing your main charge ProMystic's alleged "incentivised/forced endorsements."

Since your interpretation of Felicetti's invitation is not yet even remotely consistent with that of all other readers to date, and since you did not accept my invitation to establish your advanced expertise in such matters, I concur with one point you made: "Case closed."

George
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Cool, thanks for supporting me George. It looks like we're in the minority on this thread. The minority who agrees that incentivised facebook likes can lead to exposure.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Jamie your original post expressed concern over what you suggested was an attempt to get forced postive endorments by offering a prize. You then changed your "concern" when you took heat on that.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Forcing people to like your Facebook page (a positive endorsement of ProMystic) in order to be entered into a prize draw is what I'm referring to. If I don't 'like' then I don't stand a chance to win. In the UK most prize draws can be entered without condition, much fairer I say.

Craig doesn't need to resort to these tactics to buy fans and reviews. His products speak for themselves.

Besides that 'liking' leads to a raising of awareness of ProMystic amongst laypeople, as I have already ably demonstrated.

Most people here appear to disagree that any of the above is an issue.

We will need to agree to disagree I'm afraid.

Those asking me to apologise will need to convince me that I am wrong first.

I'm all ears.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
1 cannot wait to see the video preview tomorrow

2 out of all the crazy things that dealers / companies do to make money you have chosen one of the few 100% completely honest magic producers to take issue with. There is no issue with incentives for publicity. We all do it. How many loyalty cards do you have? How many buy 10 get 1 free cards do you have? these are the same thing. You don't have to do them of course but its a contest not an election. Also he sent it out to people that have already subscribed to his list and are likely fans to begin with and it just a way to extend that for promotion, he's not soliciting strangers.

I think the fact that you have received so much response in favor of promystic is that it is a company that we wish other companies would rise to the integrity of. Im sure there are people that might not like an effect or two perhaps, but I have only experienced and heard glowing things about the companies sense of responsibility to its customers.

So while I think most of us appreciate people keeping an eye out for bad ethics in magic dealers, promystic is just not on that list.
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Wow some people get their knickers in a twist. Its a very basic way of enhancing your facebook presecene and to promote a new trick. Like the page, write a review and get the chance to win something I imagine will be really cool......or don't if you don't want to.

I don't think promystic need to twist arms for positive reviews as their products and service are almost second to none. I'm always excited when I hear something new is coming out.
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Craig is a great guy, that is a fact. Jamie is correct in his assessment. That is a fact. Why don't we allow him to have his opinion. Having to "like" somebody on facebook to be eligible for something is seeking an endorsement, pure and simple.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Facebook ABSOLUTELY invites people to see what you're into, unless the next page or group is "closed."

Craig is the man though, plain and simple (and no one seems to disagree here including Jamie).

It's similar to what's going on with apps these days - look how many apps now have features built into them that invite the casual specatator onboard into this world of magic apps...I understand business people have to do what they do to publicise, but that will always be at odds with what we as magicians want (as few people to know as possible).
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Mystification wrote:
Craig is a great guy, that is a fact. Jamie is correct in his assessment. That is a fact. Why don't we allow him to have his opinion. Having to "like" somebody on facebook to be eligible for something is seeking an endorsement, pure and simple.

Yes- but the original implication was that Craig was seeking endorsements, By way of favorable reviews, for his products. And that is clearly not the case.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Mystification wrote:

Yes- but the original implication was that Craig was seeking endorsements, By way of favorable reviews, for his products. And that is clearly not the case.

Tell me where I mentioned anything about 'favorable reviews' in my original post and I will write you a check for $1,000,000.

Jamie 'Randi' Ferguson
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
No one is a bigger fan of Craig than I am. I appreciate the effort it takes to market oneself, and if so if someone wants to offer an incentive for Likes on FaceBook, who cares?

But I'm sorry, but if you're someone that uses PM products for your routine, you would have to be out of your mind to tell the world that you are a fan of PM products of FaceBook. I mean who sees your FaceBook likes except friends and your magic fans.

That "little cube you picked up at a trade show"? Nope. It's prepared gimmick, carefully explained at company website you just liked.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Jamie please go away and troll another thread.

Your rants belong in not very magic but still.

You add nothing. Zip.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ProMystic Private Eye (130 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL