The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubber Bang by Sean Yang (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
This DVD is undoubtably worth the price so many unique tricks and cools card reveals.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1695 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
It's actually after watching the WPR reviews that I wanted to get this . WPR features some elaboration of what is taught in the DVD . Giving insights that captivated me .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Justanotheramateur
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Justanotheramateur
Sean, can I order some extra rubber bands on Penguinmagic.com?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I had to wait a while to get mine due to Penguin selling out twice. I did manage to get it within a day or so of my 50th birthday(Sept 12), I was REALLY looking forward to this one as cards and rubber bands are my top two favorite kinds of magic. All the great reviews (including WPR) are spot on. This is a very well done project. well taught thru camera angles, slo-mo and subs too. I really can't believe there isn't more talk about it (unless people are really playing it close to the vest) (but sorry, Penguin has it and Unwrapped and WPR have shown it off, so it is "out there")

The only bad part is that you only get about 5 rubber bands with the DVD and you really need "these" rubber bands for many if not most of the effects. He explains enough about a large variety of bands available and why they won't work (Pretty in depth and most all major rubber bands are covered). The bands that come with are about size 16 in length but they are square throughout the body length unlike a 16 which is rectangular throughout its body length. (still a round rubber band - just "thicker") The GOOD NEWS is - you can get a refill pack from Penguin (do it when you order to save you the extra order like me) you get around 50 extra for $3 (most will be regular color but 3-4 red and 3-4 green, however, I did not remember seeing an effect in the DVD where you need a certain color so no big deal).

I only played around for a couple hours with the Pyramid effect and killed with it at a magic luncheon the next day. A few of the other magicians got the order info from me but it sold out again so I guess it is mine only for another few weeks Smile

Anyway, for sure a 5 of 5 all around. I hardly ever say this but this one is a little underpriced IMO. Smile (compared to these $30 one hit wonders out today) I would bet you will at least find 2-3 of the 9 or so to work out and have in your set, ready to go at some point. The only downside is there are about 3, 4-ace tricks but they are soooo different it's not even a bad thing. Real winner here.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
JD_UK
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of JD_UK
What are people's favourite effects to perform off this?
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Oh man. I want this guy for Wizard Wars. Seriously, that is SO many clever ideas with a deck and a rubber band. This sort of thinking...makes me think he could come up with 20 ideas for like any 2 items. Pretty impressed here.

Congrats Sean!
JollyGreenGiant
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of JollyGreenGiant
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, JD_UK wrote:
What are people's favourite effects to perform off this?

Ditto
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
1) Sy Pyramid- awesome eye candy for a 4 ace production (and surprisingly easy with a little practice)
2) G Spot - a cool production of signed card where the spec helps "trigger" it
3) SeanWich and Just Blow - I just like them both

The Yang Gun will really take some practice and dedication but was initially the reason I gravitated to the dvd. But really, I love card magic and rubber band magic and this is the Holy Grail of the two together. All 9 routines are solid but a few are "ace productions" so you just need to pick your favorite ( or 2). Smile

As I stated in the post above, grab an extra bag of his rubber bands with you order. You can use #19 latex free ( if you don't know where to get theses in top quality or simply don't want to but bulk, Penguin sells a refill bag of them half blue half orange in their "Melting Point" Refills for like $3) grab a bag there too and you will be set.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Oh man. I want this guy for Wizard Wars. Seriously, that is SO many clever ideas with a deck and a rubber band. This sort of thinking...makes me think he could come up with 20 ideas for like any 2 items. Pretty impressed here.

Congrats Sean!

X2, I think he would do very well on the show also. There have been quite a few I have never even heard of who did well on the show. Is season 2 in the works?

Smile Smile
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Here is my review..

Title: Rubber Bang
Creator: Sean Yang
Publisher: Magic Soul
MSRP: $ 30
Skill Level:
DVD Run time: 2 hours

Type of effect: 9 tricks with rubber bands and cards

Manufacturer's Write Up:
With Rubber Bang, Sean Yang makes his magical DVD debut to teach you how to do all of this AND MORE. Each trick comes with complete step-by-step instructions, down to such basics as how to select rubber bands and perform a controlled shuffle, so that even the most novice magician will be able to pull these tricks out of his hat in no time flat. The DVD also includes mock performances by Sean Yang himself, so you can see each trick in the hands of an expert magician before putting it in to action on your own. No need to worry about coming up with a new performance script!

How accurate is the ad copy?
Very accurate, all skill levels and relatively easy to do (with some practice)

What's in the box?
DVD and a small baggie of 5 rubber bands

Key points:
Rubber band magic is FAST and highly visual

Is it well made:
Two hours of instruction for 9 effects, plus they even give you rubber bands? I'd say they've given you as much as they can.

Is it well taught:
Hard to say since it's in Chinese, but the method portions are well shot (although in different camera angles the card faces "change" on you so pay attention). I'd say Sean did everything he could to make it appeal to a broad audience. But for me... 2 hours of silent teaching was difficult to sit through.

How are the production values:
Moderate. Nothing is under shot, but it can be a little cheesy in moments.

My thoughts:
Despite my negative comments, this is a great DVD with highly original effects. I think these tricks are fun to watch AND fun to perform and if you like rubber band magic - this is a MUST BUY for you.

Overall score:
8/10

I go over each trick on my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRHz-L2e4og
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Rubberbang – Sean Yang

Product description : This is a compilation of 9 tricks (some are complete routines others are just effects) that can be done with ONLY a deck of card and some rubberbands (1 or 2 for most of the effects). From fancy aces production to sandwich, you'll never see rubberband the same after this DVD.

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $29.95 and you can find it in nearly every Murphys partner (so you can get it at your favorite magic shop).

What you get : You get a DVD with 9 routines (a bonus effect and a quick lesson on how to shuffle and control). You also get 5 rubberbands so you can get started right out of the box.

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7er_0Yf99eM

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
- I didn't thought it would be that hard ! Don't get me wrong, there are no trick on this that are impossible to do. But I expected something a little bit easier to do, there is some work to put into these effects to make them look good. Since you're using rubberbands, they're in constant tension so you have to deal with it.
- The teaching could have been a little bit better. There are no voices instructions on the DVD so it's a little bit hard to follow. Also, the different ways you have to twist, turn the rubberband can be a little awkard at some point.

THE PROS :
- It's refreshing to use such objects that are not very often put together. The use of some properties of rubberbands makes the magic very visual, very straight forward, just what I like !
- The quality, besides the negative I gave, is very cool and you feel they put some efforts to have a kind of an atmosphere in the DVD. I already felt that with Voices by Jeff Prace, it's very cool if magic DVD are now becoming structured and more.. « fun » to watch ? Good point anyway.
- Some parts of the teaching are crystal clear, they put informations on the screen so you know how many degrees you have to twist the band and so on which is very appreciated.
- Some of the tricks are highly visual and very direct, the perfect magic for me. I never thought I would enjoy so much a sandwhich done with rubberbands and cards but it was very cool.
- The ace production is awesome, check it out, it's called « SY Pyramid » and the ending is so cool, I think it's the coolest I've ever seen.
- There isn't that much setup, some cards you have to put on top for some routines but most of them are quite direct. Also the routine with the gun is very impressive and the card gets shot with force, it's weird !
- Creativity will spark after watching this DVD since I've never used rubberband and cards together, I definately have more ideas for the future.
- They do include some rubberbands to get you started which is very nice, you don't have to go to the shop before performing the routines, definately a nice touch. Also, they do show you which kind and brand of rubberband to choose in order to perform the tricks.

Overall rating : This DVD may not suit your style but you can't deny the ingenious method and the good tricks which are on it, there is something that you will perform at least once to try, I'm sure. I always carry rubberbands and cards with me so I will be doing some moves, the trick « Just blow » will be my go to effect! 3/4 hearts for me, a good DVD, not the best I've seen but a good one.

As for the difficulty, I would be rating it between 3 and 4/5 stars since you have to master some grips and techniques you're not used to. Not impossible but not easy !

Similar products : There are a lot of DVD about rubberbands but I think it's the first of its kind, the first about putting cards and rubberbands together.

Thanks to Murphys Magic for sending me this product !
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubber Bang by Sean Yang (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL