The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » NumberTized by Lee Earl (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3495 Posts

Profile of takeachance
From the ad blurb

"Some people enjoy playing the lottery so much that they will exercise almost any opportunity to bet their favorite picks."
Continuing & the Mentalist states,
'"Absent a real lottery, they practice picking and playing numbers by themselves. I offer as evidence this novelty pack of playing cards printed with the lottery numbers."

"We will use them the same way." Approaching a nearby participant while spreading the cards, the performer continues,
'"The numbers are shown in order, just Like the televised Lotto drawing, so you can see the entire range from 1 to 52 is represented. Your task is to randomize the selection. Give them a good mixing, please"

After the cards are shuffled, he's asked to count off as many face-down numbered cards as he wishes - at least a dozen to ensure a fair selection - the remainder of the cards are returned to the card case where a folded Lotto ticket is seen tucked behind the cellophane wrapper. The performer drops the case in his side pocket and continues, "Most lotteries use a basic sequence of six numbers, so please deal six sets of cards as you would deal six poker hands."

The top cards from the six piles are collected and held aside as all the others are gathered to join the "leftovers" from the card case in one, final. quick face-up spread as the performer reminds," 'If you had taken just a few more or, perhaps two or three fewer cards, any one of these might be among your six finalists', do you agree?"
The unused cards go back in the case and into his pocket.

Without showing their faces to anyone else, the performer openly rearranges the six remaining number cards into what will soon be seen as an ascending order as he recaps the openness of the selection.

The participant himself withdraws the folded Lotto ticket from between cellophane and the card case so he can read the numbers aloud. As each number is heard, the matching card is turned face up. All six Lotto ticket numbers have been matched by the six number cards!
Perfection! Stop there if you like, but ...Now for the "kicker" - an unexpected encore to the presentation - that really hits home.
When viewing all the "leftover" cards that final time, the audience can't help but notice that one of the cards was accidentally reversed in the spread with its back showing, but apparently the performer missed it when he put the cards away.

After the six selected numbers are shown to match those on the Lotto ticket. the performer continues. "Now tell us the Power Ball number - the 7th bonus number, at the end?" The participant looks and then informs that only six numbers are printed on the ticket. "Well, then" insists the performer, "'make one up, please, then shout it out. And toss the deck to me.

The Mentalist grins slyly and withdraws the cards from the case, spreading them to reveal the overturned card that the audience remembers seeing - bearing the exact same Power Ball number just announced!"

Anyone bought this yet and care to give a quick review. Luv lottery effects, and this sounds practical
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Anyone?
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3495 Posts

Profile of takeachance
This sounds sorta cool for a lottery type effect. I will eventually order, but am on the road presently so have to wait till I get home. I'm surprized no one has picked this up. Would luv a short review + - if anyone has. Thanks
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Have one available, if interested.
sanman
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of sanman
Isn't this just "Running the Numbers" by Chris Hurlbert as published in Syzgy Volume 1 Number 12?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
It was on. Wizard review yesterday,seems expensive.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Imind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Imind
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, george1953 wrote:
It was on. Wizard review yesterday,seems expensive.

that's an understatement. 60 quid. Yikes.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3384 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Prices are starting to get silly now. I'm a fan of Lee Earl, but I think this looks very weak and rather old fashioned.
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
Unfortunately most of Lee Earls productions are very overpriced
For once I totally agree with Craig
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
I find the word overpriced to be very subjective. If that trick lands you a gig than it is paid off virtually right there. This isn't my style but I can see the value and if he wants to charge that price to keep it relatively exclusive, more power to him. Just my thoughts.
Best wishes,
Harry
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
My first thought : it will be troublesome to do those counting and dealing . Even if I have the cards I will just force them in one take .

Anyways , I too agree it is a little overpriced . Unless the cards are made with some UV500 finish or some lifetime lasting paper , I don't think it is worth 60 quid . If I were to perform it often it will wear out soon . I remember my Inferno gimmick wear out quite quickly after performing regularly .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3384 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, Harry the magic man wrote:
I find the word overpriced to be very subjective. If that trick lands you a gig than it is paid off virtually right there. This isn't my style but I can see the value and if he wants to charge that price to keep it relatively exclusive, more power to him. Just my thoughts.
Best wishes,
Harry

So, according to this oft-repeated logic, effects have no inherent worth, other than their ability to land gigs? Presumably then any effect that fails to land you a gig is worthless?

Luckily for us, that is not normally how magic effects are priced. It is understood that effects which share similar gimmicks, used in roughly similar ways will have roughly similar prices. Anything priced greatly below the norm can be considered a bargain (Matt Mello's PDFs), anything vastly above can surely legitimately be considered overpriced (Numbertized)?
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
I didn't think about it that way but I definitely see your point. I meant that this is an investment but your logic definitely holds up better than mine.
Best wishes,
Harry
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8990 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I take it you cannot openly spread the deck to show different numbers throughout? Kinda looked suspicious when Craig performed it. Certainly not worth the money.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

He mentioned at the end you can hand the deck out for examination . However I highly doubt so .

- Albert Einstein
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8990 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I wonder if that was the second deck's function?

Quote.

"We will use them the same way." Approaching a nearby participant while spreading the cards, the performer continues,
'"The numbers are shown in order, just Like the televised Lotto drawing, so you can see the entire range from 1 to 52 is represented. Your task is to randomize the selection. Give them a good mixing, please"

That certainly didn't happen during Craig's performance.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

I should have taken the time to read the description ... Only realized it now haha ...

- Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » NumberTized by Lee Earl (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL