The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Card Manipulation on the street (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Anybody doing card manipulation on the street?

I used to watch Prescott do it in Harvard square...I know it can be done.

I bought Jeff Sheridan's DVD, and was disappointed that he doesn't discuss it at all. I was hoping he would cover the practical concerns of:

1) angles
2) reset. (Reassembling all the cards after they've been dumped in a hat.)
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
If you have his dvd part 2 he performs his card manipulation. whatch how hthe spectoator ho;ld the bag and cannot see how it works.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Zack!

When I was a "late" teen, I did "white glove" card productions (etc.) but, after a couple of years, I just did the "fancy shuffles", and sight gags like the card from the mouth.

In busking, the shuffles were used as a "grabber", to build a tip.

PM me.

Dick
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Card manip is a journey you will have to embark yourself. even after 5 years of perfect practice your skills will change 5 years after that. there is no easy advice. its a long hard journey. one thing to consider is the weather of your pitch. if its humid your moves will be very limited. if its too cold your hands wont work. and that perfect balance is hard to strike...
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of noland
Josini (real name Joseph Smith), a Maryland magician and street performer who performs regularly in Ocean City, Maryland, does beautiful card and billiard ball manipulations as part of his busking act. If you search his name on Youtube, as well as do a search under "Ocean City Maryland Magician," you'll probably find some clips of him performing some of his material.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, noland wrote:
Josini (real name Joseph Smith), a Maryland magician and street performer who performs regularly in Ocean City, Maryland, does beautiful card and billiard ball manipulations as part of his busking act. If you search his name on Youtube, as well as do a search under "Ocean City Maryland Magician," you'll probably find some clips of him performing some of his material.

Actually, search Youtube under "Amazing Josini" and you'll find a dozen clips of some of his performances.
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
Here is a clip of my pal Michael Lee doing some Masterful card manipulation.
Michael was a student of the original street magician Jeff Sheridan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R5tyeF7udM

m123
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I think angles is something to consider. However some people might stand be hide just to see what your up to. But not in a away to blow your cover but to appreciate the complexity of it. It becomes a bit like how we see juggler work hard and appreciate there skill. Also it somthing to consider as you pick your pitch. Here in Auckland, New Zealand we have a old closed bank and its steps make a great stage and stops people getting be hide you. A muliptor and card production guy over last summer loved it and wished ever town had one. I also think you can bring the moves in closer to you to hide some of the things. Also somthing like this would not be much more than carrying a table http://www.tidelinedesign.com/products-o......ners.php .
I would suggest you get on you can wegih down with a water contaner so you can empty at the end of the day to carry it.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Heres a vid of Jeff Sheridan doing manip on the street in the 70's. you can clearly see hes manipping with people behind him. your focus should be character, not magic. if your character is strong, the rest will follow. angles should be the least of your worries....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRkp4hNQkBk
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Keep in mind when people stand behind you they see a different show as when in front.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Depends on what direction you wish to take yourself. if your concerned about angles, you can make a magic show that is smaller and kind of angle proof. but people inherently know that magic shows arent supposed to be seen from behind. so you will literally get people who insist to stand behind you. its just the nature of the game. but if you concern yourself with angles make a half circle show you will limit yourself. smaller crowds and therefore small hats. best to focus on the whole experience. or just not do any ball or manip tricks on the streets.
evbromfi
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of evbromfi
Windy pitches are an extra challenge as well.
Professional street corner conjurer and aspiring urban agronomist.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1681 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
...... at the worst, the people behind you will see a juggling act.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, ringmaster wrote:
...... at the worst, the people behind you will see a juggling act.

Yuck! It is more entertaining to watch C-SPAN than a juggling act.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Not fair.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
The Still Images of Sheridan on the video were posed for thr book Street Magic.
although working thr streets its almost impossible to cover every angle.

m123
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Ed, that comment was fair. The only thing worse than a juggler is those DAM crate slugs (statues) Smile
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Card Manipulation on the street (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL