The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Squeaker advice (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KendallScot
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, Colorado
133 Posts

Profile of KendallScot
I'm hoping to get some advice here. I want to add a squeaker to my show. I already have a routine set and have been practicing it quite a bit. My problem is keeping the squeaker dry. This is the "dog toy" type squeaker not a "warbler".

I know Jeff McBride has a DVD for sale about it and I'm going to get the DVD when finances allow. But I really don't need the routine or history right now. I just need to figure out how best way to use it so it does not get wet as easily. I'm hoping someone here can give me a pointer or two other than "Buy Jeff McBride's DVD".

Thank you in advance!
Kendall Scot

"The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives will be filled with joy"
**Doug Henning**

"I drank WHAT?""
**Socrates**
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
PMed you.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
George can you PM me too with your squeaker advice ? Thx
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
PM has been sent.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Hint 1: Have more than one, so you can easily switch them when one is waterlogged with spit.
Hint 2: Learn to squeak on the inhale, not exhale. Much drier that way

Hint3: (goes with hint 1) Don't swallow it!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
KendallScot
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, Colorado
133 Posts

Profile of KendallScot
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2014, Dave V wrote:

Hint 2: Learn to squeak on the inhale, not exhale. Much drier that way

You know... It's the simple things that sometimes elude me... That's exactly what I needed!

Thank you Dave!!
Kendall Scot

"The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives will be filled with joy"
**Doug Henning**

"I drank WHAT?""
**Socrates**
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Dave V! Jay Marshall (he did Punch & Judy) told me of a Punch & Judy worker in England (I've forgotten his name) who did a command performance in England. After Punch was carried off by the crocodile, and the show was over. The king was visiting with the various performers.

He asked the P&J performer how he had made that "delightful" voice of Punch. P&J took the swazzle out of his mouth and showed it to the king. He re-inserted the swazzle and did Punch's voice. The king was delighted and fascinated. He said, "May I try it?" "Of course, your majesty!" The P&J man took another swazzle out of his prop box and handed it to the king, who put it in his own mouth and was delighted, after only a few tries, to be able to reproduce Punch's voice. When he handed it back, the king said, "Thank you! But,I must ask. Isn't there a chance that you could swallow it?" P&J replied, "Oh yes, indeed! That one you had in your mouth has been through me, three times!"

I think I just hijacked this thread! --But, it was worth it to share that story!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Great story.I'll use it!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
Dick, could it have been Percy Press ?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
George-- I do remember the name Percy Press as a well known Punch worker "over there", but, I can't be 100% sure.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
Not many do Punch any more, Edwin from Supreme used to do a bit years ago when Supreme used to sell the Punch puppets. I suppose these days kids aren't interested unless Mr. Punch has an iPad. ;-)
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
When somebody first uses a squeaker they have a tendency to over-squeak, and it's really really really really annoying. My only advice is that it's more about moments, and inflection then squeaking. If this makes sense...

There was a squeaking act out here a few months ago that had me almost ripping my hair out.
Bryan_Kelly
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Bryan_Kelly
Someone just recently showed me how to make a squeeker with a cut piece of drinking straw. Is this the "warbler" refered to earlier? It's much louder than the gimmick and I would like more info on that. Is it referenced in McBrides DVD?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Squeaker advice (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL